So Boss amp modeling…

I feel like Rectifier, Tweed, Deluxe combo, and British must have been pulled straight from the old Cube amps. They sound exactly like I remember them sounding in my Cube 80
There is a sweet spot in all of these turds. Other than the Recto. The sweet spot doesn't sound like the actual amp it's supposed to be modeling but I don't think Boss cares ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
For the actual Rectifier sounds, one should probably be using the Juggernaut, it is much closer - loose and buzzy unboosted, tight and cutting boosted.
I also find Maximum to be one of the best Marshall sounding amps I've tried in digital. It's not an actual JCM800, but it sounds amazing, tight, punchy and is fairly easy to dial in. I mostly use it with sag all the way down, and resonance at -5 or -8, as with those settings it does what no other brit flavored high gain amp sim can.
Unlike pretty much everyone else, I don't like the X-Modded as I can't unhear the comb filtering when it gets into high gain territory.
Gain switch is also very important, as mid or even low (with more gain added on the pot), can sound clearer, crunchier and more aggressive, so it gets you more flexibility.
Built in cabs can sound great, and I get the impression they feel a bit better than impulses (and any other modeler else out there). Especially the Original. Important thing is to re-dial an amp every time you make a change, as the tonal balance can vary a lot. Mic Mixes and Flat setting are a good starting point.
I've also been getting good results with Ownhammer summary mixes, again with amp dialed in to fit them.

I can get good sounds out of any modeler out there today, but I do feel like I would miss the GT-1000Core if I sold it, and would be tempted to buy it again for the Maximum and its specific thing it does.
The Maximum is pretty solid. I never got along with the Juggernaut. Whether it was the dumb name that immediately put me off or Boss' weird "advanced parameters" that always seemed like I needed to dial them complety of the way (aka why include them in the first place?)

Original cab, flat mic is the best thing ever. Love it. FX are also my favorite. Though not a fan of the drives aa they were always way too sizzly to my ears.
I know lots don’t care about this stuff, but I do and I couldn’t find any examples too of how the models compare to their real amp counterparts.

Where’s the clips side by side with the amps they’re modelling at?
Yeah you're never going to get that. Boss are the Supreme rulers of keeping your head in the sand.
I've never played a Blackstar though I almost bought a series one 200 head a few years ago because it was bloody cheap. Came to my senses and walked away in the end.
It was my defacto response for @la szum :grin I'm still narrowly avoiding a St. James purchase :nails

"something in the style of something else, but actually a bit shit, and unfalsifiable, because we barely deign to give you any information that might give you an idea of how the fuck you should be using this thing in the first place, coz fuck you, you fucking fuck you"

Kinda like that?

Because their X-amps aren't direct models of actual amps. Better to think of them as "something in the style of".
Yeah, but even if they dont sound THAT close, it would be cool to hear how they compare. You'd still kind of want something in the ballpark of a Mesa/Marshall/Fender. People saying it is one thing, but I'm curious to hear what they're like side by side.

But yeah, being non-specific gives a lot of leeway for them to do whatever they feel like and totally disregard any accuracy. Cool if you love Boss sounds but it doesn't really solve the things I'd want a modeller to do for me....

Definitely curious just to hear what their tones are like in a kind of "like for like" situation (same IR, dialled in to do a similar thing)

I know lots don’t care about this stuff, but I do and I couldn’t find any examples too of how the models compare to their real amp counterparts.

Where’s the clips side by side with the amps they’re modelling at?

Yeah, but even if they dont sound THAT close, it would be cool to hear how they compare. You'd still kind of want something in the ballpark of a Mesa/Marshall/Fender. People saying it is one thing, but I'm curious to hear what they're like side by side.

But yeah, being non-specific gives a lot of leeway for them to do whatever they feel like and totally disregard any accuracy. Cool if you love Boss sounds but it doesn't really solve the things I'd want a modeller to do for me....

Definitely curious just to hear what their tones are like in a kind of "like for like" situation (same IR, dialled in to do a similar thing)

I can tell you now you would hate Boss modeling. If you want accuracy to real amps that’s the thing Boss does worst.

It really only seems to work well if you throw all of that away and approach it from a totally different perspective of just listening to the sounds without any reference.

But I think that’s part of what I’m kind of liking right now. There’s something refreshing for me about not thinking in terms of real amps.

It’s sort of freeing in a way

There is a sweet spot in all of these turds. Other than the Recto. The sweet spot doesn't sound like the actual amp it's supposed to be modeling but I don't think Boss cares ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve been able to find a sweet spot in some.

Match combo, Boutique, and even Diamond amp are working for me. The JC-120 is great!

Tweed and Recto I haven’t found anything good in

I haven’t tried Maximum yet, I’ll have to look at that one today.

It seems like there are sort of three tiers of models from good to not so good:

1. X- models
2. Named models that weren’t in the Cube
3. Named models that were in the Cube

I can tell you now you would hate Boss modeling. If you want accuracy to real amps that’s the thing Boss does worst.

It really only seems to work well if you throw all of that away and approach it from a totally different perspective of just listening to the sounds without any reference.

But I think that’s part of what I’m kind of liking right now. There’s something refreshing for me about not thinking in terms of real amps.

It’s sort of freeing in a way
still curious to hear how they’re similar and how they’re different. I’m sure they were loosely going for SOMETHING when making the models, even if it’s borrowing things from here and there. Just genuinely curious because I haven’t really heard anything in that side by side context. Would be cool if they had a plugin version of their tech to try out

still curious to hear how they’re similar and how they’re different. I’m sure they were loosely going for SOMETHING when making the models, even if it’s borrowing things from here and there. Just genuinely curious because I haven’t really heard anything in that side by side context. Would be cool if they had a plugin version of their tech to try out

I think there’s a reason you don’t see 1:1 comparisons like this for Boss stuff. It’s just not the way Boss modeling works.

If I have an amp described like this what real amp would I even try to direct compare it to? What real world amp is this supposed to sound identical to?

NATURAL
An unembellished, clean sound that minimizes the amp’s idiosyncrasies, such as its trebly character and boomy low end.

Here are their "basics"

"something in the style of something else, but actually a bit s**t, and unfalsifiable, because we barely deign to give you any information that might give you an idea of how the f**k you should be using this thing in the first place, coz f**k you, you f*****g f**k you"

Kinda like that?

Kind like I guess I just use my ears and decide "that's a nice clean sound" etc?

Kind like I guess I just use my ears and decide "that's a nice clean sound" etc?
Yeah, tried that. Really couldn't get any high-gain tones from the unit that I liked at all. I quickly sold it on. Abysmal.

Here are their "basics"
these are presets for their HW though right? I mean it would be cool if they had a “helix native” type equivalent. I don’t need any of the footswitch/HW features but i’m a little curious to hear what their stuff sounds like

these are presets for their HW though right? I mean it would be cool if they had a “helix native” type equivalent. I don’t need any of the footswitch/HW features but i’m a little curious to hear what their stuff sounds like
There are sound clips of the basic amp sounds in the link. Boss can't get IR loading right in 2023 so a plug-in version is a universe away.

There are sound clips of the basic amp sounds in the link. Boss can't get IR loading right in 2023 so a plug-in version is a universe away.
ah fair. Will listen to these shortly, should at least cover the general sounds! Would be cool if there’s user made sounds with 3rd party IR’s just to get an idea of what their underlying modelling is like…. Usually user created stuff comes out better than the “official” demos for whatever reason

ah fair. Will listen to these shortly, should at least cover the general sounds! Would be cool if there’s user made sounds with 3rd party IR’s just to get an idea of what their underlying modelling is like…. Usually user created stuff comes out better than the “official” demos for whatever reason
You will get zero info from anything from Boss as far as who dialed these in or really anything. They're dumb and, not to discourage you; but this quest from a modeler fan POV is a waste of time, imo.

Unless I’m missing something… I wonder why they didn’t include all the bass amp models in the SY in the GT? :unsure:

I only see 3 bass amps in the GT and the SY has 11

SY puts Fractal to shame for bass content

That might have sou
Unless I’m missing something… I wonder why they didn’t include all the bass amp models in the SY in the GT? :unsure:

I only see 3 bass amps in the GT and the SY has 11

SY puts Fractal to shame for bass content
I don't think you're wrong. Without ever actually announcing this; i am betting they think that they will cannibalize the sales of the GT by adding the SY bass amps. Again; dumb.

I tried matching the Supreme amp with an OH Trad impulse to one of the JCM800 Mirror profiles in Tonex with the same impulse, and gave up :)
Tonally it gets very close, but as expected, some quirks that the real amp has are not modeled (as it is an idealized model). Overall, Boss sounds more "processed" due to that.
Downside is that Boss modeling is not for those looking for exact sound, flaws and all, but the upside is that all the amps are easy to get good sound out of every time. Unlike Helix for instance where some amp will get farty or awful sounding unless "in the zone", Boss never sounds wrong, even at the extreme settings.

If you wanna try their modeling under the pretense of buying an audio interface ;-)
https://www.boss.info/us/promos/gigcaster/

I really like boss stuff..warts and all. In the end you get the job done with their stuff.
Loved the ms3, es5 and GT core on my board atm.

GT is gonna be hard to replace, small size unit with relay switching, global stereo eq per output, decent verbs/delays, flexible midi (assigns). A lot packed into 1 unit.
The modeling…in my mind it’s ok…no more, no less either. so maybe not a main buying reason.
The x amps feel great at home...but to me that fires back a bit in lI’ve situations where you maybe want a sound to be “in your face”. Anyway…all within margins where you still can become a rock god using boss modeling ;-)
‘Compared to kemper, kemper wins on amps/delays/verbs in my mind.
If shopping for a small 3 knob unit..I’d buy again.

Back