Small unit for my 2nd board…

AFKAEjay

Roadie
Situation:
I got a main board & a “throw in gigbag” board. Boss GTcore is the “commuter“ between them.
Works…cost efficient…but offcourse when moving it from one board to another I plug a cable wrong…and I’m trouble shooting during soundcheck.

so..im looking to add a permanent resident to my “throw in gigbagboard”..which includes:
-ethos overdrive amp
-overdrive pedal
-expression pedal controlling delay level
-[the small unit I’m looking for]

`Needs to have;
-Easy access to a global eq with seperate controls for left/right cause I play stereo and I need to be able to compensate for different amps.
-efx loop
-clean boost post return
-decent reverb
- decent compressor
- dual delay with eq control & modulation
- cheaper then a boss GT core
- not line6..i don’t gel with how those sound
- not mooer..don’t like their verbs
- small

very nice to have…poly octaver (boss pedal that allows octaves in a defined range)

boss Gt1 or boss ms3 are closest in my mind…what’s else should I consider?

Situation:
I got a main board & a “throw in gigbag” board. Boss GTcore is the “commuter“ between them.
Works…cost efficient…but offcourse when moving it from one board to another I plug a cable wrong…and I’m trouble shooting during soundcheck.

so..im looking to add a permanent resident to my “throw in gigbagboard”..which includes:
-ethos overdrive amp
-overdrive pedal
-expression pedal controlling delay level
-[the small unit I’m looking for]

`Needs to have;
-Easy access to a global eq with seperate controls for left/right cause I play stereo and I need to be able to compensate for different amps.
-efx loop
-clean boost post return
-decent reverb
- decent compressor
- dual delay with eq control & modulation
- cheaper then a boss GT core
- not line6..i don’t gel with how those sound
- not mooer..don’t like their verbs
- small

very nice to have…poly octaver (boss pedal that allows octaves in a defined range)

boss Gt1 or boss ms3 are closest in my mind…what’s else should I consider?

Hmm I cant think of a small one other than what you mentioned that can do dual delays and exp pedal delay control. MX5 has most of your listed criteria and is legit despite what some say.

Hmm I cant think of a small one other than what you mentioned that can do dual delays and exp pedal delay control. MX5 has most of your listed criteria and is legit despite what some say.
How are the verbs in the MX? Good bread and butter stuff? Boss I don't like on their own but combined with delay and modulations they are solid.

How are the verbs in the MX? Good bread and butter stuff? Boss I don't like on their own but combined with delay and modulations they are solid.

They are usable most of them. The trick I found is they get very wet much sooner on the dials than other units I have owned. So keeping the controls lower than expected yield better results IMO.

I liked the reverbs in the Gigboard, basic but solid. Preferred it to Line 6 reverbs which I don't gel with, but that was before the "Dynamic" stuff so who knows now.

I liked the reverbs in the Gigboard, basic but solid. Preferred it to Line 6 reverbs which I don't gel with, but that was before the "Dynamic" stuff so who knows now.

Was not impressed with any of the Dynamic reverbs in HX but reverb is super low on my priority list. Almost always used Legacy Plate in Helix unless I was going for something very specific for a certain song.

I'll add this too. using the Phase 90 blocks in other units made me realize just how good the Phase 90 in Helix is. I mean to the point where everything else other than the real thing sounds like shite to me. Among other things, Line 6 got that one perfect.

Was not impressed with any of the Dynamic reverbs in HX but reverb is super low on my priority list. Almost always used Legacy Plate in Helix unless I was going for something very specific for a certain song.
Yeah, the Dynamic Reverbs in the HX are fine when I A/B them against other stuff, but when I just use them on their own they're still a little gross for some reason. Maybe it's just my biased feeeeelings, but I think it might have to do with their stock settings? I recall tweaking them a fair bit when I did A/B compares.

Back