Since When Has There Not Been A 'Reply' Button On The First Post Of A Thread? UPDATED WITH POLL

First Post Quote. Yay or Nay?

• Yay

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Nay

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I just went to hit the reply button, so I could delete the sentences that didn't apply to what I was about to say, and it doesn't exist. But it does at FAS. Wondering if this is new, because I think I've used it in the past. :unsure:

You can still copy the applicable text and paste it into your reply using the "quote" tool in the editor.
Screenshot_20230514-133043.png

It's new, I requested to remove the Reply button.
People needlessly press the 'Reply' button and quote the entire first post (sometimes gigantic) and reply with two words.
First posts often require editing, so quoting the entire thing is unnecessary.

@The Colonel
Can we still have the pop-up so people can select certain part of the post?

For now use the 'Quote' tool from the tool bar.

It's new, I requested to remove the Reply button.
People needlessly press the 'Reply' button and quote the entire first post (sometimes gigantic) and reply with two words.
First posts often require editing, so quoting the entire thing is unnecessary.

@The Colonel
Can we still have the pop-up so people can select certain part of the post?

For now use the 'Quote' tool from the tool bar.
What pop-up are you referring to?

I still think that quoting a huge first post by clicking 'reply' is a bad forum design.
Being able to, could be argued that it's a "bad design", but quoting is an action that a person does.

It's bad forum etiquette to quote the whole post, whether it's the first or any other post. But removing it takes away the simple ability to refer to a specific section, which is what I wanted to do.

Your "fix" doesn't fix the problem, because if one can use your "work-around", then someone can still quote the whole damn post!

Back