Shrapnel Albums 1982-1990

I think Second Heat is great, since you've got iconic songs like Hammer Away and Gone Too Far, and but it's tough for me to choose between the two first albums. Street Lethal was recorded in three days; I'm sorry I meant THREE DAYS!!! There's just this cocaine crazy to that album that I love, plus Into The Night and Loud and Clear are completely badass.
I think Second Heat is a bit more polished in just the right way, imo. Both take a steaming dump on Mr. Big :hmm

I think Second Heat is a bit more polished in just the right way, imo. Both take a steaming dump on Mr. Big :hmm

You peach truth, Brother. I've always felt like I should love Mr. Big because of Gilbert & Sheehan, but I think I like Gilbert & Sullivan better. Mr. Big to me represents the very worst of C*ck rock. For songs essentially written from the point of view of an actual penis, the very top eschelon to me is No Respect by Vain and Appetite for Destruction, and stuff like Mr. Big and Cherry Pie by Warrant are at the unacceptable end. Honorable mention on the good end to Lettin Loose by Heavy Pettin.

And about Racer X, you're right about Second Heat being more polished. To me that's both good and bad. Like, I love all those songs (and the two covers, especially Heart of a Lion) on the second album, but I guess the rawness of Street Lethal has a special place in my heart.

And for fans of Cacophony, it's worth mentioning that Friedman and Becker guest solo on each other's solo albums. A great example is Jewel from Dragon's Kiss by Marty Friedman: the very first thing you hear is Jason Becker ripping your heart out, followed by Friedman playing the exact same thing. It's a rare thing to get to hear two people of such talent playing the exact same theme, and to hear how each interprets and embellishes it. That intro is one of my favorite instances of Jason Becker's playing. It's so intense, emotional, and fucking epic.
If you’re a fan of both of them like me, check out Marty’s page for really cool anecdotes from his recordings (including Megadeth).

I love this one from the Go Off! Track lol:

The solo at the very end of the song is one of my favorite Jason solos ever, but we got into a heated argument about whether or not he should end the solo with the tremolo bar as he did or not. (Musos argue over the stupidest things!) I would have preferred him to just hold the last note out, but he insisted on ending with the bar.

If you’re a fan of both of them like me, check out Marty’s page for really cool anecdotes from his recordings (including Megadeth).

I love this one from the Go Off! Track lol:

The solo at the very end of the song is one of my favorite Jason solos ever, but we got into a heated argument about whether or not he should end the solo with the tremolo bar as he did or not. (Musos argue over the stupidest things!) I would have preferred him to just hold the last note out, but he insisted on ending with the bar.

Oh awesome. I'm in! Thanks.

You peach truth, Brother. I've always felt like I should love Mr. Big because of Gilbert & Sheehan, but I think I like Gilbert & Sullivan better. Mr. Big to me represents the very worst of C*ck rock. For songs essentially written from the point of view of an actual penis, the very top eschelon to me is No Respect by Vain and Appetite for Destruction, and stuff like Mr. Big and Cherry Pie by Warrant are at the unacceptable end. Honorable mention on the good end to Lettin Loose by Heavy Pettin.
That poodle hair singer, while having a technically great voice; is the epitome of barf inducing :barf

That poodle hair singer, while having a technically great voice; is the epitome of barf inducing :barf

By way of comparison, Jeff Martin is just a filthy, dirty bastard for Racer X, and he's sooo awesome. I feel like I have to take a shower after hearing him sing. To me, good C*ck rock should sound like a dirty needle and a bundle of STDs.

Here's the sound of pure filth, purely epic, produced by no less than Paul Northfield, with the lady behind 3rd Power amps on guitar. From the first thing you hear Davy Vain say, "You know what I heard?," you know you're in for a ride:

I think Second Heat is great, since you've got iconic songs like Hammer Away and Gone Too Far, and but it's tough for me to choose between the two first albums. Street Lethal was recorded in three days; I'm sorry I meant THREE DAYS!!! There's just this cocaine crazy to that album that I love, plus Into The Night and Loud and Clear are completely badass.

Same. Just a frenetic kineticism about it. :chef

Back