Shrapnel Albums 1982-1990

Achilles

Rock Star
We gotta stop hijacking Leon's thread! :LOL:

Name your top 3 from the Varney/Shrapnel years.

In no particular order:
- Michael Lee Firkins: debut
- Vinnie Moore: Mind's Eye
- Greg Howe: debut

* mods, wasn't sure if this should be here or in Music. Please move if needed.

You guys have better memories than I do. :brick

Edge Of Insanity is definitely top of my list.

After Street Lethal from Racer X. Not sure how that
Album is not at the top of everyone's lists. :idk

It blew me away that he was just as fluid and fluent on
Classical Piano as Guitar. Just wow!

This blew me away even more. How?

And this Drummer guy (Scott Travis) goes on to play in Judas Priest later on. Jeff Martin sings in
Racer X, but then goes on to be the Drummer in Badlands. WTF??!!

Last edited:
It blew me away that he was just as fluid and fluent on
Classical Piano as Guitar. Just wow!

It's like Yngwie comes along in 1982-83 and blows the roof off with his speed and technique and then within just a few years
guys like Tony are showing up who are even better at it imo.

I think Second Heat is great, since you've got iconic songs like Hammer Away and Gone Too Far, and but it's tough for me to choose between the two first albums. Street Lethal was recorded in three days; I'm sorry I meant THREE DAYS!!! There's just this cocaine crazy to that album that I love, plus Into The Night and Loud and Clear are completely badass.

And for fans of Cacophony, it's worth mentioning that Friedman and Becker guest solo on each other's solo albums. A great example is Jewel from Dragon's Kiss by Marty Friedman: the very first thing you hear is Jason Becker ripping your heart out, followed by Friedman playing the exact same thing. It's a rare thing to get to hear two people of such talent playing the exact same theme, and to hear how each interprets and embellishes it. That intro is one of my favorite instances of Jason Becker's playing. It's so intense, emotional, and fucking epic.

Back