Short to sleeve switching with the Helix and PRS MT15

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Trying to overcome the ground loop hum with my Helix Floor and PRS MT15. I'm wondering if I just short the tip to the sleeve in an instrument cable the hum will go away and I'll be able to switch channels. I've read that lifting the ground altogether won't switch channels at all.

Not trying to invest in any gizmos to make this work, it's not high on my priority list but I like to fuck with things and can't leave well enough alone.

Trying to overcome the ground loop hum with my Helix Floor and PRS MT15. I'm wondering if I just short the tip to the sleeve in an instrument cable the hum will go away and I'll be able to switch channels. I've read that lifting the ground altogether won't switch channels at all.

Not trying to invest in any gizmos to make this work, it's not high on my priority list but I like to f**k with things and can't leave well enough alone.

If you have a cheap TRS cable lifting the ground is easy to try. Worked perfectly for me.

If you have a cheap TRS cable lifting the ground is easy to try. Worked perfectly for me.
Reports from other MT15 users State the lifting the ground causes the channel switching to not work. I have some patch cables I made and don't really use anymore I'm going to try

Reports from other MT15 users State the lifting the ground causes the channel switching to not work. I have some patch cables I made and don't really use anymore I'm going to try

Ah, ok. Didn't hear about that, specific to the MT15. Mine was with my Mesa.

Ah, ok. Didn't hear about that, specific to the MT15. Mine was with my Mesa.
The switching is controlled by grounding out the tip of the jack. Without the ground, there is no change.

Just tried it. All it does it toggle the hum on/off.

Also just tried soldering ground to tip, tip to ground, ground only. Nada. Probably not going to happen

Back