Shopping for a new/different Digital Mixer

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Been using Soundcraft UI mixers for about 6 years now. Current one is the Ui24R and I am just so tired of fighting with it to use it for multi-tracking stuff live. You practically have to be master engineer just to record more than two tracks in a live situation. DAW use is much easier but I don't do much home recording and when I do I only need my 2 channel Presonus for that.

Looking at the ZOOM L20 and L20R it seems like a far easier unit to use and reports are that the sound quality is excellent. I am also considering the Behringer XR18 but haven't dug deep on that one yet and not sure if I can live multi-track with it. Biggest thing holding me back on the ZOOM is not being able to use more than input 1 and 2 with OBS or other livestreaming apps. Big oversight by ZOOM and they have had a few years now to rectify that and have not. Trying to keep the cost under 1500 so my options are fairly limited.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I am not going with an X32 in case you were going to say that. ;)

XR18 manual says 18/18 I/O for the USB interface part, so it looks like multitrack recording should be easy.

That's not an option on the Behringer, so it's out! :p

yeah I thought so. UI24r packs a lot in for the money but like I said it's beyond cumbersome to use for live multi-tracking. On top of that the ASIO drivers are junk.

Guess I should have researched more before I took my mixer out of the rack and prepped it to be sold. I thought long and hard about it and I'm sticking with the Ui24r for now. There's nothing comparable out there right now in my budget range, and the lone sticking point for me is multi-tracking live. I just need to hammer some tutorials into my thick skull so that it becomes easy to do.

Tascam makes a digital mixer you can record directly to SD. :idk

Tascam Model 12/16/24? Different sizes depending on your needs.

Cool I will check them out. I think the last time I looked at one there weren't really any aux outs but I gotta look again.

I have the Tascam Model 12 and have been using it for about 3 years now I believe. One of the differences between the 12 and the 16 or 24 is the 12 is all digital as I understand it. 16 and 24 are mostly analog. I have done recording on my Model 12 to the SD card and it worked fine, but have since moved to recording to my laptop via USB. Usually recording a total of 9 streams simultaneously (one stereo channel and 7 mono channels). Cubase Pro 12 is my DAW. Here is a photo of my rig (things have been adjusted a bit and a vocal mic preamp added since this photo):

MyRack_2022Jan07.jpg

Output options on the 12 are Main, Sub and Aux but the 16 and 24 may have additional outs. Let me know if you want any other details on my experience with this unit!

I have the Tascam Model 12 and have been using it for about 3 years now I believe. One of the differences between the 12 and the 16 or 24 is the 12 is all digital as I understand it. 16 and 24 are mostly analog. I have done recording on my Model 12 to the SD card and it worked fine, but have since moved to recording to my laptop via USB. Usually recording a total of 9 streams simultaneously (one stereo channel and 7 mono channels). Cubase Pro 12 is my DAW. Here is a photo of my rig (things have been adjusted a bit and a vocal mic preamp added since this photo):

View attachment 5614

Output options on the 12 are Main, Sub and Aux but the 16 and 24 may have additional outs. Let me know if you want any other details on my experience with this unit!

Oh cool thanks for posting but someone helped me figure out the issue I was having with my UI24r and I am back on board with keeping it around.

Back