Shaping Your Tone: Can We Discuss EQ And The Various Ways You Use It?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I still play with my main presets from time to time, using some sort of EQ to shape the tone. Although I'll readily admit I don't have any hard rules about doing so.

My latest mod was adding an 8-band Graphic EQ to my preset, after the Cab Block (in the Axe Fx III), and simply adjusted sliders to taste. I then compared that to the preset with that GEQ block bypassed, but after I had used the amp's tone controls/gain to get me as close as I could to the best sound I felt was possible.

With the GEQ on, it was much better, giving my single-note lines a more "creamy" and fluid-like tone/feel.

I've tried using the Input EQ in the Amp Block, but I'm just not good with that level of EQ shaping. Meaning, I don't feel like I know what I'm doing, so I mostly leave that one alone.

But I'd love to gain a better understanding of pre-EQ, and really, any other ways of using EQ you've found to work well, and the type of playing you use it in, e.g., is it something you've found that helps tighten up fast, distorted, low-note, single-line stuff. Or say, tricks to help a somewhat scooped tone cut through the mix. I think it's important to know the context.

For me, the types of sounds I used this GEQ block for was higher-gain single-note solo stuff, from the lowest notes to the highest.

EQ is a huge part of our sound, so my hope is this topic will get some good traction here.

TIA!

I still play with my main presets from time to time, using some sort of EQ to shape the tone. Although I'll readily admit I don't have any hard rules about doing so.

My latest mod was adding an 8-band Graphic EQ to my preset, after the Cab Block (in the Axe Fx III), and simply adjusted sliders to taste. I then compared that to the preset with that GEQ block bypassed, but after I had used the amp's tone controls/gain to get me as close as I could to the best sound I felt was possible.

With the GEQ on, it was much better, giving my single-note lines a more "creamy" and fluid-like tone/feel.

I've tried using the Input EQ in the Amp Block, but I'm just not good with that level of EQ shaping. Meaning, I don't feel like I know what I'm doing, so I mostly leave that one alone.

But I'd love to gain a better understanding of pre-EQ, and really, any other ways of using EQ you've found to work well, and the type of playing you use it in, e.g., is it something you've found that helps tighten up fast, distorted, low-note, single-line stuff. Or say, tricks to help a somewhat scooped tone cut through the mix. I think it's important to know the context.

For me, the types of sounds I used this GEQ block for was higher-gain single-note solo stuff, from the lowest notes to the highest.

EQ is a huge part of our sound, so my hope is this topic will get some good traction here.

TIA!
EQ before gain=lesser impact. EQ after gain=more impact. Generally speaking. Depends on gain staging too.
I've also been using a GEQ more frequently post modeling -- just to clean up any fizziness and tighten up the low end, and poke some mids if necessary. Great on rhythm and certainly useful for solos.

I have run an EQ in the effects loop, before time based effects, for over 15 years. Totally crucial for myself, in sculpting the overall preamp signal, after gain staging, before it hits the power amp ... maybe even boosting the level a smidge....to juice it a bit....not gain...just level.

I am predominantly a rhythm player, so this is all aimed at that. If I need lead sculpting and boosting, that comes via eq before any preamp I use. This is additional, on top of and in front of the 10 band in the loop.

I use the EQ pedal in the loop, more as a freq subtraction/cut. Unless I have a guitar that lacks bottom end punch....then I may boost those FREQS by maybe +1 gain tops.

I tend to rely on the amps tonestack, really dial it in ..then later eqs for details.

I cut anything below 120, and above 6k...then notch anything from there.

Hope this is what you are looking for, discussion wise. Very valid topic....can be very subjective.

I'm still trying to get both those just right! :beer
Me too! Always a WIP. In context with other instruments you start to hear those high and low frequencies build up so it's definitely good practice honing in what's only necessary. Cleans everything up. I was one to never use a GEQ in my live rigs, looking back I wish I had. Especially if you have an effects loop it can be so useful. I think I'm going to pick up a pedal soon for just that reason. With modeling/recording it's much easier of course.

One of the first pedals I ever bought was an EQ.
Been playing digital these days at home but I still solve all my problems with EQ.

With monitors or "FRFR", the tone keeps changing so much with volume.
The highs can start piercing so quickly as you turn up.

Also, need to keep a check on tweaking, every time you do so, you’ll keep finding something ‘better’.

An easy way of sounding better is to just turn it up a little. Better than tweaking.

I like to do what I can with the available amp controls before reaching for any EQ. I am a fan of amps with resonance and presence controls in the power amp as well as a good range of bass and treble in the preamp section.

I like to Pre EQ before a gain stage to change the feel. Usually dropping out the low end and low mids. Cutting low end before distortion means faster decay, but can sound a little thin.

I like to EQ post gain stage to change the sound. Getting rid of annoying frequencies and bringing back low end where needed, usually in the 125-160hz region.

Last edited:
I will use EQ to cut lows before the preamp, and add lows after the preamp.

I will also use it to tame the 1-3kHz area if needed.

I will also use it to give a mid-scoop, usually around 200-400hz. That's effectively what the mid-cut feature on the Diezel D-Moll and Herbert do too.

I will also use it to give a mid-scoop, usually around 200-400hz. That's effectively what the mid-cut feature on the Diezel D-Moll and Herbert do too.
This is extremely close to what I use for certain types of high gain tones. IMO the magic is really in the first portion - cutting flub before gain and then pushing the lows up after gain.

This recipe is a huge part of what makes the Mesa Mark series high gain tones so surgically tight while still being massive.

My dude - we REALLY need to find a way to put a Mark III-VII in your hands. Everything you describe about the tones you like point squarely back to those amps.

1727360250118.png

If the EQ doesn't come from the amp you're using, the amp is a waste of your time.

You shouldn't need to add EQ from pedals for a good guitar sound.

Just my 2 cents.

An easy way of sounding better is to just turn it up a little. Better than tweaking.
While I would generally agree with that up to a certain point, I primarily use headphones, and have tinnitus, so I try to keep volume low.
If the EQ doesn't come from the amp you're using, the amp is a waste of your time.

You shouldn't need to add EQ from pedals for a good guitar sound.

Just my 2 cents.
Well in the context of my OP, I'm not using an amp; I'm using an Axe III.

And while I agree in general with what you said, EQ's on amps may only be passive (cut only), and due to where they occur in the signal path, you can get even better tones with the more fine-tuning capabilities from a dedicated EQ. Iow, you may not be able to dial in/out a certain frequency with just what's available on the amp, but have the more surgical-like ability to do so on an EQ.

And the Mesa models I prefer on the Fractal have extra parameters that I'm not as good with as I am on the actual amps (Overdrive, Bright Switch, & Depth on a Recto, e.g.), so even though I've tried, in this particular example, I just found the tone to be a bit better, after adding the GEQ.

A general concept that has been used numerous times to great effect:

EQ before amp, then EQ after amp

Specifically:

mid boost EQ into amp; ("frown" curve on a graphic EQ)
mid cut EQ after amp; ("smile" curve on a graphic EQ)

Since the guitar is a midrange instrument, boosting midrange (500Hz - 1.5Hz ish) freqs going into an amp will help make the guitar "sing" and strengthen those freqs.

Then in post (Studio, DAW, or even amp FX loop), simply scoop out what you don't want from the midrange.

And yes, this works for metalz, too.

...and that's not to mention simple hi and lo pass (esp. hi pass as it helps "tighten" the low end)...

I use it sparingly and when I use it it’s generally in two ways, to shave off bass before an amp or at the end of the chain to help it fit into the mix better. Usually I just adjust the IR or cab block instead of using eq, but sometimes eq is the better choice.

D

A general concept that has been used numerous times to great effect:

EQ before amp, then EQ after amp

Specifically:

mid boost EQ into amp; ("frown" curve on a graphic EQ)
mid cut EQ after amp; ("smile" curve on a graphic EQ)

Since the guitar is a midrange instrument, boosting midrange (500Hz - 1.5Hz ish) freqs going into an amp will help make the guitar "sing" and strengthen those freqs.

Then in post (Studio, DAW, or even amp FX loop), simply scoop out what you don't want from the midrange.

And yes, this works for metalz, too.

...and that's not to mention simple hi and lo pass (esp. hi pass as it helps "tighten" the low end)...
Your tones of cover songs seem to match really really well. How much of a role does EQ use play?

I was one to never use a GEQ in my live rigs
A buddy of mine had (and still has) a 7-band GEQ pedal he uses in his rig. 76 LP Gold Top with Dimarzio Super Distortions into a Marshall 100 watt Super Lead, into an old Dual Showman cab with 2 Celestions, G75's I believe.

I've played his rig, with and without that GEQ, and the sound with it on is so much better. (Not that it's bad without.)

I’ll add something to this since I approach eq similarly
I love to add a few dB of narrow 800 Hz boost before amp.

Back