Seymour Duncan P-Rails

Sleezy E

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Any experience with Duncan P-Rails out there?

I'm romanticizing about a build right now and they are on the short list for pickup selection. I've never owned a guitar with p90's and I'm a bridge humbucker kinda guy so I like the versatility that these offer.

Pros/Cons?

Gregorio Duvivier Dont GIF by Porta Dos Fundos

I had them in a primary gigging guitar (Godin Radiator) for a few years,
due to maximum versatility. But like all the "Jack of all trades, but Master
of none," they failed to impress in any meaningful way. :sofa

ahfiliflejf2lz9hrqqa.jpg

I'd say if you are uber curious and need the experience go for it. If you are
expecting really epic P90, Single Coil, and Humbucker tones then I'd think
again.

Maybe not a "Big don't" from me. But it's not a bridge I would ever cross again.
Theoretically? Great. Practically? Meh. :idk

they failed to impress in any meaningful way.
All the options and none of the tones. Hard pass!
Agreed. Tried them a few times and not a fan.

I guess that's a "don't do it" so far @Sleezy E ? :LOL:

These were on my radar many years ago -- it's an interesting design. I guess it can be seen as a compromise of tones if you're expecting a full-on soap bar and a standard single sound in one package. I think it's best to approach these kinds of designs expecting something totally unique and unexpected. But it can be a bit of a gamble though as it may not be unique enough to stand on its own?

I had one in my Yamaha Pac510V it was the only pickup i cant say that it was terrible but as @la szum said jack of all trades master of none

I had one in my Yamaha Pac510V it was the only pickup i cant say that it was terrible but as @la szum said jack of all trades master of none

A bit like several different flavours of Vanilla. :idk

They did serve a purpose doing Cover gigs for a few years.
I didn't always use the guitar that had the P Rails in it, though.

A bit like trying to be everything to all people, and ending
up being nothing to no one. Some cats do dig them. 6.5 out
of 10. :LOL:

And if you have your eyes set on trying them, Sleezy then I say
go for it! :beer

Alrighty then. Thanks for the replies guys...

Guess I'm going the straight p90 route then, because GAS says I need a guitar w/ p90's

I'm thinking just 2 with a 3-way switch or possibly adding a middle pickup with an on off toggle so I can still get neck/bridge with the 3way

I'd try ZexCoil Tribuckers. They supposedly have convincing humbucker / P90 / Strat tones, all noiseless. In a single Tribucker you've got one ZexCoil tuned to sound like a Strat pickup and another tuned to sound like a humbucker. When you combine them you get something like a P90. I've been wanting a set for a long time now.

There's was guy in another forum that swore by P-Rails. I like the idea of having P90s and ready to jump into humbuckers on a fly, but wasn't completely convinced.

I may have been persuaded to ditch the current Phat Cats I've got on one of my RGs but I didn't bite.

View attachment 25994

Still love the Phat Cats.

Nice. I love Free The Tone. :love

#threaddetour :LOL:

I'd try ZexCoil Tribuckers. They supposedly have convincing humbucker / P90 / Strat tones, all noiseless. In a single Tribucker you've got one ZexCoil tuned to sound like a Strat pickup and another tuned to sound like a humbucker. When you combine them you get something like a P90. I've been wanting a set for a long time now.
Apparently they don't wax their pickups. I emailed ZC asking why one of my pickups from them were microphonic and they told me that's how they make them.

I thought you were chronically poor Mr. Tonerider this and Mr. Tonerider that?? :idk
That was one exception due to the fact that I need/wanted Noiseless and my options were limited, and Bonus might have been biger that year :grin

Last edited:
Apparently they don't wax their pickups. I emailed ZC asking why one of my pickups from them were microphonic and they told me that's how they make them.

Man, I totally didn't expect that. I wonder if Scott would wax them as a special order. That is just crazy to me that he would go to all that trouble to eliminate hum in every position but would allow his pickups to be microphonic. Thanks for pointing that out.

Man, maybe I’m remembering the P-Rail with rose-colored rear view mirrors. It’s been awhile since I played a set, but I remember them being cool. I was thinking of tossing one in this:

IMG_0015.jpeg

Maybe I’ll do something else.

Back