Sealed vs Ported Celestion F12 200

pipelineaudio

Shredder
I have a few of celestions 2 way "FRFR" speakers. I have tried them in closed 1x12 guitar cabinets, open back 1x12 guitar cabinets, and a cabinet built exactly to celestion's spec with the porting, exactly to this design https://celestion.com/blog/build-this-f12-x200-1x12-cabinet-design/

I always read that ported sub boxes are louder than sealed, but does it matter to guitar frequencies? Would it be any louder on the mids? I can't really tell the differences between these three cabinets, and it occurs to me that it might just be a good idea to find a loud 1x12 combo amp and just stick the speaker in there and feed my modeller into the FX return. I did just this with a Fender Mustang IV and it seemed to work awesome. (the mustang's power amp measures extremely flat up to 16khz)

Is there really anything wrong with this? Does porting really matter for our purposes? Does the size of the cabinet matter all that much?

the Roland Cube 100 looks pretty smart for this, though it has no way to bypass the preamp

Last edited:
Does porting really matter for our purposes? Does the size of the cabinet matter all that much?
Offcourse it does..same as for traditional setups. Bigger cab = bigger sound
Is there a way to bypass the cabinet sounds on the Boss Katana MKI if you go in thru the FX return?
There is no cabsims after the return…maybe on line out/headphones..not to speaker.

I always read that ported sub boxes are louder than sealed,
I have no idea where you would have "always read" that, but it's mostly false. The advantage of a ported enclosure - which is only realized if the woofer's parameters are appropriate for that use - is greater low frequency extension for a given enclosure volume (i.e., "cubic ft.").
but does it matter to guitar frequencies?
It could, but, as I point out above, only if the speaker's parameters are suited to ported use.
Would it be any louder on the mids?
No.
can't really tell the differences between these three cabinets,
See above. The woofer portion of that speaker is not well-suited to ported use. It is to be expected that there's little or no audible advantage to using it in a ported enclosure.

Is there a way to bypass the cabinet sounds on the Boss Katana MKI if you go in thru the FX return?
There are no "cabinet sounds" in the Boss Katana when using it like an amp through its speaker. You get cab sims when using the USB or Line Output

Back