Sammy/Satch Opening Night!

Truth be told, I didn’t pay a lot of attention to Bonham outside of noticing his kit being setup like Alex would have. I suppose it’s good that he didn’t do anything to draw my attention away from the show, but I suppose vanilla enough that he didn’t draw my attention to him. I was so focused on listening to Sammy/Michael/Satch that I just really didn’t pay much mind to the drums, which is kind of surprising for me.

Alex is such a uniquely great drummer, underrated. That ability to swing at those tempos with complex patterns and maintain precision...it's nuts. IMO if a drummer "doesn't stand out" for this, it's a big credit to the drummer. (I know you don't mean that as a dig at all of course). Just a former drummer's perspective!

Bonham was/is killing it in those clips. :chef He's got better range and more diverse skill
and feel than someone named Alex did or does. :sofa

Pulling off those tunes and then doing Satch Boogie---which is no walk in the park as a drummer--
is fucking world class! Sings a bit, too. :beer

How many people could do the Zeppelin Celebration Day show and then this run of shows,
and not miss a beat? Literally!

:idk

Allow me just this one wet blanket.

We're still actually doing Eagles Fly? JFC Sammy; drop that turd already.

Now the rest of it (Satch Boogie even?!?!?!?!?); :love:love:love:love:love:love Sounds like a killer time Drew \m/

Actually that was one of their better tracks last night.

Alex is such a uniquely great drummer, underrated. That ability to swing at those tempos with complex patterns and maintain precision...it's nuts. IMO if a drummer "doesn't stand out" for this, it's a big credit to the drummer. (I know you don't mean that as a dig at all of course). Just a former drummer's perspective!

Indeed. I think they shared the same internal clock. Much like Dimebag and Vinnie, they were just locked into each other and no doubt fueled each other with healthy competition.

Bonham was/is killing it in those clips. :chef He's got better range and more diverse skill
and feel than someone named Alex did or does. :sofa

Pulling off those tunes and then doing Satch Boogie---which is no walk in the park as a drummer--
is fucking world class! Sings a bit, too. :beer

I think me not paying attention had more to do with how excited I was to finally see Sammy/Michael and hear Satch do those tunes than anything. I suppose I also don't really have an opinion of Bonham as a drummer in general, I don't dislike him and he's obviously more than capable of everything he's done, but I think because I hear him playing other people's parts more than his own it hasn't really allowed me to form an opinon of him as a drummer.

Actually, now that I put that in perspective that's quite odd for me. I'm not sure there's any other band/situation out there where I don't have more of an opinion on a drummer than this.

I think me not paying attention had more to do with how excited I was to finally see Sammy/Michael and hear Satch do those tunes than anything. I suppose I also don't really have an opinion of Bonham as a drummer in general, I don't dislike him and he's obviously more than capable of everything he's done, but I think because I hear him playing other people's parts more than his own it hasn't really allowed me to form an opinon of him as a drummer.

Actually, now that I put that in perspective that's quite odd for me. I'm not sure there's any other band/situation out there where I don't have more of an opinion on a drummer than this.
I watched a Foreigner DVD at my buddies home theater a while back, and he was so in the pocket. Tight, great dynamics, but yeah, not his own stuff. But I remember being very impressed.

Not his own stuff, and yet, as said before, when you are chosen to play with the remaining
members of Zeppelin and Van Halen, then you are fucking doing something very, very correctly. :rimshot

Geez, all you have to say is you don't like him!!

:stirthepot

Drew, the mix on your youtubes is way better than I heard in the 20th row last night.. Joe wasn't near that clear

That's a big reason I prefer some shows on the lawn at that place. You don't get the oomph of the kick drum quite as much, but you do get a solid mix every time. It can be hit or miss the closer to the stage you get.

He's on tour in Europe, and still not returning my calls. :idk
Playing Hard To Get Big Brother GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Back