Sammy/Satch Opening Night!

DrewJD82

Staff member
I had an absolute blast tonight!!!

My head is killin’ me so the longer review will come tomorrow, but I had a BLAST!!! Satch sounds GREAT and he’s just doing his thing. His playing was more about the spirit of Ed than the notes. Dragon amps sound outstanding, everything sounded great! Pretty sure there were 3 Roth era tunes, only 3-4 non-VH tunes all night!

Definitely go see this show if you’re currently on the fence!!!

No apology for the footage quality, I just hit the red button and point towards the stage. Lightning storm back behind the stage a few miles back, some of it had to have been caught in the video.

That was such a fun show! Sound was AWESOME, even back on the lawn. Definitely zero problems hearing Joe all night, those videos represent it decently.

1. "Good Enough"
2. "Poundcake"
3. "Runaround"
4. "There's Only One Way to Rock"
5. "Judgement Day"
6. "Panama"
7. "5150"
8. "Summer Nights"
9. "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" (Michael Anthony on lead vocals)
10. "Top of the World"
11. "Best of Both Worlds"
12. "Satch Boogie"
13. "The Seventh Seal"
14. "Right Now"
15. "Why Can't This Be Love"
16. "Eagles Fly"
17. "Mas Tequila"
18. "Heavy Metal"
19. "I Can't Drive 55"
20. "Space Station #5" / "Oh Yeah" / "Jump"
21. "When It's Love"

I probably couldn’t have picked a better setlist. I was thinking there’d be a good amount of songs I wouldn’t have known on account of not being familiar with Sammy’s solo stuff or Montrose, but I knew pretty much everything on account of the amount of VH tunes.

Venue was packed and it sounded like everyone had as good of a time as I did! When they did the DLR tunes the crowd really went nuts. Joe sounded fantastic and I was glad to hear him just do his thing instead of trying to be Eddie all night. It was pretty early on, 2nd or 3rd song where I said to my buddy “Oh he’s just bein’ Satch…”

Getting to hear/see him do “Satch Boogie” in front of an audience of that size was really cool, what was even cooler is no one went and got beer when during it. SHITOAD of guitar players in the audience, as apparent by all the gear/guitar-related t-shirts! Everyone I heard talking about Joe was stoked with his playing.

Totally stoked I got to see Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar finally. Those hold the same place as Mick, Keith, John Paul Jones, Plant, etc. to me. Michael taking the lead in a few spots definitely let Sammy keep some gas in the tank. 21 songs and not a single one being an easy song to sing, at 76, Sammy fucking KILLED IT! And Michael still just has that voice, man. Incredible how that dude’s voice is like the mold of what background vocals should be.

I don't want Satch trying to mock/ape Eddie. Just be Satch and play the songs. :rawk

More than "Good Enough," I say. :beer
Based on that rehearsal clip he was staying true to himself for sure. I hope no one expects him to ape Eddie, it would be a disservice to both of them.

Just finished the clips. Sound came through pretty darn well for a phone! Sounding great which I expected... and of course Satch's playing/tone was :chef.

There was some well-timed lightning here (timestamped) in "5150", followed by an enthusiastic Drew screaming....

Lightning was going off the entire night, it's half the reason I kept the camera how I did, I was hoping to catch more of it.

We were at last night's show in Tampa. Loverboy got booted due to a massive thunderstorm, happens everytime we visit that venue in July/August. We had pretty good seats, first row outside of the orchestra pit. The mix was horrendous in the first half. It got better in the back half. Awesome to see Satch playing those tunes.

Back again this Saturday for Foreigner/Styx and probably another massive thunderstorm :idk

Attachments

• IMG_1303.JPG
    IMG_1303.JPG
    834 KB · Views: 10
Allow me just this one wet blanket.

We're still actually doing Eagles Fly? JFC Sammy; drop that turd already.

Now the rest of it (Satch Boogie even?!?!?!?!?); :love:love:love:love:love:love Sounds like a killer time Drew \m/

Watching clips now. Joe is KILLING it as Joe doing Ed. Love it :love Keyboard player with backing vox is a great addition I am betting as well.

How was Bonham? Sounds great here! That red explorer of Sammy's catches my attention every time I see it :chef

Oh man that Dance the Night Away bit after Top of the World had me eating onion sandwiches. What a great show this musta been.

Watching clips now. Joe is KILLING it as Joe doing Ed. Love it :love Keyboard player with backing vox is a great addition I am betting as well.

How was Bonham? Sounds great here! That red explorer of Sammy's catches my attention every time I see it :chef

Oh man that Dance the Night Away bit after Top of the World had me eating onion sandwiches. What a great show this musta been.

Truth be told, I didn’t pay a lot of attention to Bonham outside of noticing his kit being setup like Alex would have. I suppose it’s good that he didn’t do anything to draw my attention away from the show, but I suppose vanilla enough that he didn’t draw my attention to him. I was so focused on listening to Sammy/Michael/Satch that I just really didn’t pay much mind to the drums, which is kind of surprising for me.

They sound killer!

I love the approach, don't try to be a cover band. Satch is one of the best guitarists of all time, let him do his thing. Jason is doing fantastic, kind of surprising but he's a great drummer. Obviously Sammy and Mike are OG's. But HAVE FUN with it! Dudes are not 25 years old anymore. Celebrate the music!

Back