Returning to riding a motorbike: advice?

TubeStack

Rock Star
Wasn't sure whether to put this in @la szum 's Harley thread or start my own...

I had a motorbike for 3-4 years in my 20s and loved it. It was in the mid-90s and I was riding an '83 Yamaha Virago, 500cc,and I put about 20k on it, I think (kilometres).

I have not been on a bike since, so about 25 years. I just signed up for a 3-day safety course for new riders and am looking forward to getting back out this summer.

Currently looking at used bikes and my interests are all over the place. Here's what I've been considering:

- Triumph Street Twin or Bonneville (2018 or so)
- Yamaha XSR 700 or 900 (2019 or maybe 2023)
- Honda ST1300 (2009)
- BMW R nine T (2021)
- Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 (2023)

So, all over the map, size and style-wise, haha. Those are mostly in order of preference, but also changes every couple hours, so who knows, at this point. :grin

Looking for some tips, in terms of the pros/cons of those bikes, as well as suggestions for other options (not really into Harleys right now, sorry LS!) Also looking for advice in terms of bike size/power and my status as a new rider who has some experience, albeit a long time ago, and with a pretty small bike.

As far as how I plan to use the bike, I'm looking at mostly day trips in the summer, but maybe some longer trips across Canada or through the States too, with some short commuting in the fall, as well.

With that being said... actually I can't think of a way to work that phrase in, sorry @duzie! :rofl
Any general advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :beer

On My Way Goodbye GIF by Bubble Punk

Awesome, TS!
:headbang

Just feather that clutch in and out of the friction zone like a champ
and you'll be golden. And don't be this guy. :LOL:

crash lol GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Enjoy the hunt, and journey! As smart and competent as you are I know you'll
land on the right seat after much research. So many great options out there.

And don't be afraid of power. It can save you from danger if you have enough,
and can't if you don't. Kind of like tube amps.... headroom matters. :beer

I am looking to acquire a second bike for off road camping purposes. Something
I can take on the dirt and still use for some highway miles. Probably a year or so
away, but it will happen.

Huskys and Beemers can be a bit pricey when it comes to maintenance and repair.

Anything Japanese is going to be far easier to source people to wrench on them,
as well as to source parts.

Huskys and Beemers can be a bit pricey when it comes to maintenance and repair.

Anything Japanese is going to be far easier to source people to wrench on them,
as well as to source parts.

Ah, that's great info! I did wonder exactly that about Huskys in particular. That Svartpilen 401 is now the one that's got my eye, could be a fun small one to "get my legs back" on, then move up to something bigger next season?

Although looking at recent real-life pics, it's actually even smaller than I thought? Not that I'm a big guy, I'd say small-to-average at 5'8" and 170 lbs. But I don't want to ride something that looks like a little dirtbike... lol. Even though I love the looks of the 401 in general. But I don't want don't repairs to be a pain, that's good to know.

The XSR700 might be my best bet as a good middle ground of size-power-looks-price, along with being Japanese and easier to find repair/parts.

I think you'll be fine with a little more horsepower, TS. It's all under your control.

They'll teach you about escape routes and all that jazz when you take the course,
and sometimes you need the juice to extract yourself from a dangerous situation.

Also, highway miles on something under 600-700cc is going to be murder. Hard to
maintain that 100-120kmph with something under powered.

Back