Recommend a Windows based DAW and why

Deadpan

Shredder
Vendor
I'm unwilling setting up a windows computer and need to find the perfect DAW. I love Logic and hate to switch but circumstances insist.

I downloaded Protools Intro and deleted it. Have Reaper installed. It's OK but the stock plugins seem not very good.

Bring the thoughts.

I haven't used it much personally, but from what I gather the closest thing to Logic on Windows is Cubase.
If I had to go Windows for audio then I'd probably use that.

Lots of people also like Studio One, but I can't deal with the UI. When I gave it a try everything was too flat and samey looking - all of the UI elements blurred together and I couldn't decipher shit. :rofl

I'm sure it's plenty configurable, but I remember being really turned off by it. Also the free 'basic' version I tried didn't have third-party VST support, so it was a non-starter anyway.

i knew nothing about all of them and picked cubase based on a friends recommendation and so far its been pretty good. still learning obviously but i like it.

Been using Reaper but its support for high DPI scaling is kinda crappy. My displays are only going to get higher res from here as I don't see going down from 4K at this point. How's Studio One or Cakewalk for this?

Been using Reaper but its support for high DPI scaling is kinda crappy. My displays are only going to get higher res from here as I don't see going down from 4K at this point. How's Studio One or Cakewalk for this?
I don’t know as I never cared much about this particular feature. Check out the product page, there may be more information there. I use 2 somewhat modern displays and to me they both look great.

Edit- you can sub for 15 bucks and check it out.

All of my audio and video production is done on Reaper since 2016 even after switching to Mac, and use the stock plug-ins and few third-party plugs.

I am happy with my Samplitude Music Studio. Mine came with nice plugins, loops, and midi files. I find it reasonably priced for what it comes with during a promo sale. I do not have a comparison because I haven't tried anything else. I tried Tracktion briefly. It was confusing.

The question is: can someone find a convincing rationale for not using Cakewalk Bandlab? :cool:

I've been using it since it was a MIDI sequencer for DOS that came in a floppy disk, back in 1987. I have only been disappointed on the period when jinx Gibsong "Play Authentic" purchased it to throw it to the bin. But since that young Singaporean billionaire bought it to make it free, it has become better than ever. And the upgrades are non-stop.

Last edited:
Cubase has a quite steep learning curve but it‘s worth it. Even though I‘m on a Mac, I made the switch from Logic to Cubase a couple of months ago. It‘s a very mature and feature packed DAW (and in its newest M1 native version it even outperforms Logic on my Mac, which really surprised me). It seemed a little overwhelming at first and took me a while to get used to it, but now when I open Logic it feels strangely limiting compared to Cubase. I tried Studio One a couple of times and while I really like the ease of use, its audio engine has a couple of quirks I just couldn‘t tolerate. Reaper‘s UI is an ugly mess IMHO, I just couldn‘t get used to it.

Vvv
It is Windows only. If you need a cross platform compatible DAW something else would be better.
If I could have stayed Apple I never would have left Logic. Now on Windows and Cakewalk is seemingly the obvious answer.

Back