Reaper themes...

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
Most Reaper themes are just dogshit.

Angry I Hate Everyone GIF

I can agree with that. On top of how the app handles scaling is weird in the first place, like it's overly complicated instead of "select theme, select scale".

After years of using Reaper I've been trialing Logic Pro because it works a bit nicer with my stuff. I do hate not having a cross-platform option though, but e.g Presonus Studio One and others haven't quite done it for me either.

I can agree with that. On top of how the app handles scaling is weird in the first place, like it's overly complicated instead of "select theme, select scale".

After years of using Reaper I've been trialing Logic Pro because it works a bit nicer with my stuff. I do hate not having a cross-platform option though, but e.g Presonus Studio One and others haven't quite done it for me either.
I'm more of a fan of Ableton Live, Cubase, and Studio One. But they don't really have the feature set that Reaper has; and if Reaper doesn't have a feature I can script something together in Lua. There's also the Reapy library for Python if I want to get even more nerdy on it; which I often do.

But Cubase and Studio One are just so much nicer to use.

I'm more of a fan of Ableton Live, Cubase, and Studio One. But they don't really have the feature set that Reaper has; and if Reaper doesn't have a feature I can script something together in Lua. There's also the Reapy library for Python if I want to get even more nerdy on it; which I often do.

I just got a free copy of Ableton lite with my controller. Is it worth futzing with you think?

Yeah I get enough of programming for my day job so for a DAW I just want something convenient and nice. Logic Pro has its own share of problems and quirks for sure, but for now works for me as I moved most of my audio stuff to my Mac instead.

I just got a free copy of Ableton lite with my controller. Is it worth futzing with you think?
Hmmm, honestly, not for guitar music unless you're willing to jump through a butt ton of hoops. But for electronic music it is pretty much the gold standard.

Hmmm, honestly, not for guitar music unless you're willing to jump through a butt ton of hoops. But for electronic music it is pretty much the gold standard.
I use Cakewalk currently. I'm sure it's dogshit to some but it works for my pea brain. I've been using my controller to write synthwave-y riffs then dumping some crap riffs on top. So I'm already in weird hoop jump land. I might give it a go and see if it makes sense for the synth base tracks and bring them into Cakewalk for guitar tracking.

reaper is god level DAW (reaper simp checking in)

I really like LCS Mahina SE and it's one of only a few that seems to work well for me and my needs (and at 4k!). They're harder to dig through but there are some good ones out there.
PS, don't judge my mix - I never claimed to be a professional :bag

1702155444367.png

I've been using Reaper since 2017 and I don't even know how to do any reskin thingies. I've tried a couple of their "themes" but they're all whack and I just stick to the plain Jane. Slick visuals aren't why I use this stuff.

Screen Shot 2023-12-09 at 1.55.16 PM.png

Reaper is maybe the last software I’d choose to work with, despite its many strengths. I just cannot be dealing with their menus and windows with a million random checkboxes thrown at you.

Pro Tools here basically all day every day for the last 15 years or so. Spent a considerable time in Logic (has some strengths but is still totally unreliable for audio editing and has some apple style bullshit to contend with), and Cubase (improved tons since I last used it but still has odd quirks that would drive me mad). I think Ableton is incredible software for electronic and loop based music but it’s not really ideal for guitarists. It’s possibly the best compositional tool right now and quite telling how a lot of recent Logic and Pro Tools updates are trying to copy aspects of it.

But yeah. I still feel like for my needs a Pro Tools is the only option.

Back