Readers chime in -Favorite authors and series!

I used to read a LOT. I did computer operations at night... Mostly babysitting backups... I read for hours a day.

Mostly SciFi, Fantasy and Horror. Just a handful... The first two could take you years to get through:

Stephen King
Robert Heinlein
Stephen R. Donaldson
Clive Barker
Terry Pratchett
William Gibson
Isaac Asimov
Orson Scott Card
George R. R. Martin

I should start reading more... I've fallen out of the habit.
I had to for years reading only rocker bios which got real old
I was concerned about buying books that would not hold my interest

Solution is get whatever app your library hosts and get audio books, anything David Chandler, Ray Porter (my fav) narrorates will be a great place to start!

Among more recent stuff I have read and enjoyed:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series
The Hunger Games series
Ready Player One
Joe Hill (several books, Stephen King's son)
The Martian

The Hunger Games series
Ready Player One
The Martian

Did you read either Station Eleven or the first Spin novel?

Maybe they will spark my reading back into action

Station is a really slow story that takes some patience but it so worth it once you start catching on.
Spin is as EPIC as any earth based sci-fi I've ever read. That one takes no time to get going. I was really let down by the sequels. It's one of those where I don't think the author planned on them but the 1st book sales demanded them. They're not needed anyway. The story stands well enough on its own.

Station is a really slow story that takes some patience but it so worth it once you start catching on.
Spin is as EPIC as any earth based sci-fi I've ever read. That one takes no time to get going. I was really let down by the sequels. It's one of those where I don't think the author planned on them but the 1st book sales demanded them. They're not needed anyway. The story stands well enough on its own.
Just finished reading Station Eleven. Very good. Thanks for the recommendation.

Michael Shaara - Killer Angels
I liked his writing style
Jeff Shaara followed up with many books emulating the same format.
Some of my small collection
IMG_0653.jpeg

Reading books has been hit or miss over the years, I go through my phases.
I guess the author I've read the most would be Michael Crichton. I loved the way he got into a story and really kept you interested.

The Hunger Games series
Ready Player One
The Martian
Don't read near as much as I used to. Dragon Tattoo series was awesome. Joe Hill was a great find as well.

Have you read Sphere? Picked that up to pass time at the dentist and next thing you know it's 2:00am and I'm finishing it.

THE.
MOVIE.
ADAPTION.
SUCKED!!!!!!
Yep, that was the 2nd book of his I read. I vaguely remember the movie honestly -- which tells me it wasn't very good. :rofl
The first of his I read was Jurassic Park. Loved that book, and so wanted it to be a movie. I was glad when that came to be, and it was decent. But a far, far cry from the book. That's usually how it rolls though.

Here's a really easy afternoon read. It'll grab you pretty much right off the bat and the story is pretty killer. Ending is a bit lame but not enough to ruin the book at all. This is another one of those where picked it up just to pass some time and simply couldn't put it down until finished.

1705110078473.png

1705110149029.png

THIS would make a great movie if done right. Really surprised no one's done it.

Has anyone read The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay? Probably my favorite book ever. I read it many years ago and just loved it.
It was later adapted for film, though some of the storyline changed unfortunately. It was ok overall.

Here's a really easy afternoon read. It'll grab you pretty much right off the bat and the story is pretty killer. Ending is a bit lame but not enough to ruin the book at all. This is another one of those where picked it up just to pass some time and simply couldn't put it down until finished.

View attachment 17223

View attachment 17224

THIS would make a great movie if done right. Really surprised no one's done it.
That does sound like a movie.

Reading books has been hit or miss over the years, I go through my phases.
I guess the author I've read the most would be Michael Crichton. I loved the way he got into a story and really kept you interested.
Another great author.

I really liked State of Fear, too.

Started reading Spin... Encountered a funny small-world moment as the main character mentions his father died in a car crash on I80 near Vacaville... I live in Vacaville and have for most of my life :)

Oh yeah, with David Chang and Bourdain.... among others?? I saw a few episodes filmed in Japan.

Need to revisit that. :guiness

20240116_135313.jpg

Back