Readers chime in -Favorite authors and series!

cragginshred

Roadie
I read a lot of action/Thriller books. Ex Navy seal type authors.

Jack Carr James Reece series has five amazing books. Book one is an Amazon series

Marc Cameron Jehrico Quinn series is Amazing! His newest series is awesome too Arliss Cutter is a US Marshall in Ak -super fun and action packed

Mark Greaney -Navy seal spycraft guy entertainment

CJ Box Joe Picket series -read all 20

What do you all like to read and who are your favorite authors?

When I was a teen, I read the entire John Jakes Kent Family Chronicles.

And as an adult, I've read many of David Baldacci's series'. Although they have gotten a little too predictable, so I haven't read any in a few years.

Also lots of Steven King.

Anything from Clive Cussler.

fun fact from wiki : Sahara is a 2005 action-adventure film directed by Breck Eisner based on the best-selling 1992 novel of the same name by Clive Cussler. It stars Matthew McConaughey, Steve Zahn and Penélope Cruz, and follows a treasure hunter who partners with a WHO doctor to find a lost American Civil War Ironclad warship in the Sahara Desert.

1701178019068.png

Here is one of his masterpieces. I can't imagine if someday this book is translated into a movie

1701177615823.png

Jefferey Deaver and his Lincoln Rhyme series. The Empty Chair being my favorite.
Robert B. Parker and the Spenser books.
William Diehl and his 3 books with Martin Vail and Aaron Stampler.
Dan Simmons and the Hyperion Cantos is beyond epic.

Last edited:
I hadn’t realized it until now but I think the last fiction book I read was Lost Symbol by Dan Brown, maybe a decade ago? I dug his books, quite a bit actually, they started me down a whole path of reading the history of the masons and Knights Of Templar.

All the crap I read now is either something metaphysical or an autobiography.

fun fact from wiki : Sahara is a 2005 action-adventure film directed by Breck Eisner based on the best-selling 1992 novel of the same name by Clive Cussler. It stars Matthew McConaughey, Steve Zahn and Penélope Cruz, and follows a treasure hunter who partners with a WHO doctor to find a lost American Civil War Ironclad warship in the Sahara Desert.

View attachment 14577

Here is one of his masterpieces. I can't imagine if someday this book is translated into a movie

View attachment 14576

Raise the Titanic is one of my favorites! Gotta be careful with the CC books, I'm pretty sure the last dozen or so were ghost written by someone else. Still, fun reads.

I'm in a book club and it forces me to read a bunch of sh!t I would never pull off the shelf. Some of my favorites, from different genres:

Modern: God, Human, Animal, Machine by Meghan O'Gieblyn - interesting take on where we are and where we are going with computers, AI, etc.
Novel: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Haruki Murakami - friendship, love, betrayal, life - honestly haven't read a bad book from this author.
Novel: In the Distance by Hernan Diaz - immigrant boy is separated from his brother upon arrival in America, struggles to survive, unwittingly becomes a legend in the frontier.
Sci-Fi: Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks - futuristic society divided by faith and culture, lots of characters, individual struggles within a massive war.
History: The Wager by David Grann - shipwreck off Cape Horn, division within the crew, struggle to survive, mutiny, escape, salvation until the mutineers are outed by the mutin-eed.
Biology: Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harris - there were multiple strains of the homo genus, why homo sapiens survived and the others died off.
Sports: K; a History of Baseball in 10 Pitches - indepth look at the different pitches that have evolved along with the game, loaded with history and the unofficial "rules" of the game.
Music: The Storyteller by Dave Grohl - really cool autobiography about his upbringing and insanely blessed life, seems like a normal dude who would be a blast to hang with.

View attachment 14577

View attachment 14576
His books have been hit and miss for me. The Chase was a top 10 book for me by Clive. I'll check out Arctic drift, thanks!

• 100%
Reactions: 621
Raise the Titanic is one of my favorites! Gotta be careful with the CC books, I'm pretty sure the last dozen or so were ghost written by someone else. Still, fun reads.

I'm in a book club and it forces me to read a bunch of sh!t I would never pull off the shelf. Some of my favorites, from different genres:

Modern: God, Human, Animal, Machine by Meghan O'Gieblyn - interesting take on where we are and where we are going with computers, AI, etc.
Novel: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki by Haruki Murakami - friendship, love, betrayal, life - honestly haven't read a bad book from this author.
Novel: In the Distance by Hernan Diaz - immigrant boy is separated from his brother upon arrival in America, struggles to survive, unwittingly becomes a legend in the frontier.
Sci-Fi: Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks - futuristic society divided by faith and culture, lots of characters, individual struggles within a massive war.
History: The Wager by David Grann - shipwreck off Cape Horn, division within the crew, struggle to survive, mutiny, escape, salvation until the mutineers are outed by the mutin-eed.
Biology: Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harris - there were multiple strains of the homo genus, why homo sapiens survived and the others died off.
Sports: K; a History of Baseball in 10 Pitches - indepth look at the different pitches that have evolved along with the game, loaded with history and the unofficial "rules" of the game.
Music: The Storyteller by Dave Grohl - really cool autobiography about his upbringing and insanely blessed life, seems like a normal dude who would be a blast to hang with.
Love the idea of a book club but I cannot stick with books that don't grab me and keep my interest. There are good story tellers, great ones and those who should find a different path in life :crazy

Oh believe me, we have read some stinkers! It's fun though, another excuse to regularly meet and hang out with friends, eat a good meal, have some drinks and easy conversation. The funny thing is, certain people get really upset if you don't love the book they picked...
Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

Edit: I should add, "that book foockin sucked, I couldn't finish it" would be a totally welcome and acceptable report at our book club! :LOL:

Tim Kurkjian has a great book called, I'm Fascinated By Sacrifice Flies. He also has a chapter dedicated to the 'unwritten rules', and in another, he makes a very convincing argument why baseball is the hardest sport.
I really enjoyed that book! Dave really "went for it" a few times in his career!

Oh believe me, we have read some stinkers! It's fun though, another excuse to regularly meet and hang out with friends, eat a good meal, have some drinks and easy conversation. The funny thing is, certain people get really upset if you don't love the book they picked...
Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office
e guy

Edit: I should add, "that book foockin sucked, I couldn't finish it" would be a totally welcome and acceptable report at our book club! :LOL:
That sounds fun!

My favorite "reading" experience is the Hobbit + The Lord of the Rings audiobooks, narrated by Andy Serkis. I pretty much listen to them on repeat--Hobbit, Fellowship, Towers, Return, repeat. It's comforting to me. I just started The Fellowship again today on my fourth full cycle in the last year.

I also enjoyed the Mistborn audiobooks. I haven't ventured (heh that's kinda a pun in this context) into Brandon Sanderson's other books, but the two Mistborn trilogies are fun.

I'm not a particular productive reader, so I don't consume much outside of audiobooks, but I did like Project Hail Mary.

I used to read a LOT. I did computer operations at night... Mostly babysitting backups... I read for hours a day.

Mostly SciFi, Fantasy and Horror. Just a handful... The first two could take you years to get through:

Stephen King
Robert Heinlein
Stephen R. Donaldson
Clive Barker
Terry Pratchett
William Gibson
Isaac Asimov
Orson Scott Card
George R. R. Martin

I should start reading more... I've fallen out of the habit.

Back