Quick shootout of different modelers in a mix!

Which is your favorite?

• Total voters

Jarick

Shredder
Got a quick and hopefully interesting exercise.

I recorded a quick and dumb track with a simple rhythm part and lead part in a simple mix. I've got four different versions using different modelers and am curious if there's a clear preference for others. No gotchas here, just a simple preference.

Vote for your favorite, and if you have more detailed thoughts or rankings, please let me know! I'll pull back the curtain after a good set of responses.

Mixes 1 & 3 were the Fractal Axe FX 3
Mixes 2 & 4 were the Kemper Profiler

Mixes 1 & 2 were the Dimarzio Area noiseless pickups in my Ibanez AZ

Mixes 3 & 4 were the Suhr V60LP single coils in my Strat

All four mixes used just the amp/cab of the Axe FX or the profile of the Kemper, into the exact same reverb/delay in Helix Native.

Last edited:
Oh man. These are dangerous to reply to. Not sure I trust myself. :LOL:

2 closely followed by 4. 2 just sounded the most present and open.

3 was kind of darker and more compressed sounding to me.

Listened again. Yup... 2.... then 4, 1, and 3.

That said, some instances I might want a softer feel and more subdued presence.

Rhythm guitar, I have a clear preference for 1 and 3. The tone seems to be cleaner, 2 and 4 have a tad more crunch and are less open sounding to my ear.

Lead guitar, 2 has the best articulation and openness, followed by 4, and I like 1 less than the others.

In the mix, I prefer the tones of #1 overall. I feel that they fit the mix and the style of the music.

#2 and #1 feel more dynamic and open on the highs, but that is something that maybe could have also been achieved on #3 and #4 with some tweaking.

Of course, that can also be the acoustics of my loo :poop:
Michael Jones Toilet GIF by Achievement Hunter

Last edited:
2 sounds like it has the most highs so that would be my favorite guitar tone.
But in the context of mix I voted 4, it sounds the loudest, I presume it's not and it just cuts the best.
But they're all close, again with the "you could dial each of them to sound like every other".

This is really a "which two did you listen back to back" where it's hard to pick a winner.

For me mixdown 4 is the winner because I felt it had the best mix of "clarity and sweetness" for my tastes.

#2 is probably the most different from the rest. Seems a bit more "focused" or "narrow" and a bit more harsh.

#4 using 'how the guitars sound/work together in the mix' as the desired result.
seems like all four provide the same fundamental thing, a recorded, realistic amplified electric guitar sound. so for that track #4 wins but do ten different tracks and it may be the loser...

I ruled out 1 and 3 immediately. I would not want to play a rig that sounds like either of those.

It took a little more effort to decide between 2 and 4. In the end, I noted that 2 has a little bit of the hard/harsh sound that 1 and 3 both have, and 4 has little or none of it. So 4 is my choice.

This is really great feedback, thanks!

You all have done a really good job so far spotting some similarities in the mixes. Will be fun to do the reveal later.

I have three more bonus mixes if you want to compare a couple others. Tweaked some things compared to the earlier versions.

1 was the Kemper Profiler with its own effects and compressor block turned off
2 was the Fractal Axe FX 3 with its own effects and gain tweaked

3 was Helix Native with its own effects

Last edited:
In the originals I liked 2, in the bonus I liked the lead part in the first one, bonus mixdown 0 I guess.

Think I'll do the reveal in the morning.

I redid all of the tracks (again) with different modelers, but decided instead to update one of my old big modeler comparisons, so doing that now. Should have another fun comparison later this week, and I hope the best yet.

Back