Question for those using Helix live and for recording...

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Aside from the obvious benefit of Stomp Bucks, it struck me yesterday that instead of having a recording tone for my bass that I love via the Helix Rack, and then trying to recreate that live with my GK head, Hartke cabs, Blower Box and M108, why not just get an HX Stomp for live. Then I can just use the same presets for both live and recording. I know the Stomp isn't as robust as the Rack, but I don't use a ton of blocks, and most of my Rack presets are tweaked versions of the presets I originally created for my old Stomp that I sold when I got the Rack...

Then I wondered, do I use the cabs in the Helix presets when running thru my live rig, or try and tweak the preset w/o the cab sims?

After that I started thinking about how late a band was playing next Thursday night and how early I have to get up Friday morning and why getting old sucks, then I pondered if I have a slight mold allergy or it's the stupid Canadian wildfires making my sinuses ache so much... and, I realized I was like 5 squirrels down the road before snapping back to my Helix conundrum.

Meanwhile, there's a lightning blue Stomp at a local GC calling my name... but, well, black is black... and black sounds darker, right? RIGHT?!?

TLDR Important questions: For those who use Helix sims for live and recording, what do you alter in the presets? Or, do you keep them the same? Or, shouldn't wildfire smoke cancel out mold spores? :unsure::idk

• Haha
Reactions: V|J
Aside from the obvious benefit of Stomp Bucks, it struck me yesterday that instead of having a recording tone for my bass that I love via the Helix Rack, and then trying to recreate that live with my GK head, Hartke cabs, Blower Box and M108, why not just get an HX Stomp for live. Then I can just use the same presets for both live and recording. I know the Stomp isn't as robust as the Rack, but I don't use a ton of blocks, and most of my Rack presets are tweaked versions of the presets I originally created for my old Stomp that I sold when I got the Rack...

Then I wondered, do I use the cabs in the Helix presets when running thru my live rig, or try and tweak the preset w/o the cab sims?

After that I started thinking about how late a band was playing next Thursday night and how early I have to get up Friday morning and why getting old sucks, then I pondered if I have a slight mold allergy or it's the stupid Canadian wildfires making my sinuses ache so much... and, I realized I was like 5 squirrels down the road before snapping back to my Helix conundrum.

Meanwhile, there's a lightning blue Stomp at a local GC calling my name... but, well, black is black... and black sounds darker, right? RIGHT?!?

TLDR Important questions: For those who use Helix sims for live and recording, what do you alter in the presets? Or, do you keep them the same? Or, shouldn't wildfire smoke cancel out mold spores? :unsure::idk
I use Helix Native often for recording, and a Helix Floor direct for rehearsal and shows. My experience generally is that recording presets often do not work live. Some can, but I find I usually maintain separate presets for live playing so I can alter my midrange and top end, as well as modify things like delay and reverb mix to be less apparent so things don’t wash out in a loud live mix.

I could see using a Stomp for just your effects and dirt presets, and then tweak your base(bass) tone with the GK/Hartke. Best of both worlds.

I use Helix Native often for recording, and a Helix Floor direct for rehearsal and shows. My experience generally is that recording presets often do not work live. Some can, but I find I usually maintain separate presets for live playing so I can alter my midrange and top end, as well as modify things like delay and reverb mix to be less apparent so things don’t wash out in a loud live mix.
Wait, you mean you can actually make adjustments live that aren't based on the club sound "engineer" coming over and screwing with your tone to suit whatever lame band reference in a totally different genre that he thinks you should sound like? Tell me more!

(in all seriousness, thanks - I didn't actually consider making adjustments on the fly live. That adds a layer of complexity I might not wanna deal with since I use HX Edit instead of the actual unit's interface...)
I could see using a Stomp for just your effects and dirt presets, and then tweak your base(bass) tone with the GK/Hartke. Best of both worlds.
While that makes sense, wouldn't an HX FX get me the same result for less money? In the end, it's the amp sims that I love the most in the Rack, so would want them then just use my GK to boost that tone. Regardless it does open a whole new world of sounds...

live: helix lt into 5153 50w fx return into orange 412. i mic the cab and run an XLR from the helix.

recording: exactly the same but i use different amp sims for the L and R tracks. peavey invective is my main amp sim, i add the badonk when we record.

live: helix lt into 5153 50w fx return into orange 412. i mic the cab and run an XLR from the helix.

recording: exactly the same but i use different amp sims for the L and R tracks. peavey invective is my main amp sim, i add the badonk when we record.
Invective? Is that an IR? Or did you mod the Panama? Or... ?

For those who use Helix sims for live and recording, what do you alter in the presets? Or, do you keep them the same?
I don't play live anymore but I still have and use the same Stomp presets for noodling that I did when I was playing live. I have the sounds loaded into Native and use them for recording the weekly challenge projects.

With the Stomp I usually stick to three presets (three amp models) when playing direct to my monitors and have copies of them with either different effects or IRs. In Native with compatibility mode turned off, I have all three amp models and all of the effects in one master preset. When im lazy (most of the time) I don't alter the presets much at all. When I feel like sculpting a tone a little more I usually delete the IR and use the Cab block's mic positions to get the guitars to sit just right.

Bass usually just gets the same preset over and over but with small tweaks depending on the song.

Back