Powercab 112 - yay or nay?

ahh well confirmed can see no separate tweeter so its mounted in the dust cap
1668075471046.png

Which seems an odd way of doing a coaxial
Tannoy and KEF's approach is slightly different they dont cover the tweeter with a traditional dust cap :idk

Last edited:
I was intrigued but the reviews were pretty bad so I stayed away.

Right now I’m experimenting with the Catalyst 60 as a powered guitar speaker. It’s nice they made that option so easy with the modeler in switch and adjustable volume, and with the amp after controls and effects. It’s also nice to not having to screw around with IR’s and EQ as much, and it does sound pretty decent.

On the flip side, I don’t love the overall tone as it’s a little buzzy in the midrange, a bit bright in the highs, and not very rich in the lows. The cabinet is very open back, so it’s not directional even in the high end which is interesting, but there’s not a lot of low end.

I’m going to try swapping the speaker out today to see if that helps or not. But I’ll probably eventually get a good 1x12 speaker cab and solid state power amp at some point. I’ve also thought about trying to make a board to turn the cab into more of a closed back, but don’t know how good an idea that is or how effective it would be.

For "FRFR" speakers, the Friedman stuff is intriguing but super expensive. The Headrush cabs are everywhere for cheap but I imagine you get what you pay for with those things. Most people seem to really like the better QSC and EV speakers and what not.

It would be awesome to have a “Powercab Minus” which would strip out the modeling and just gives you the two way speaker with a tweeter volume knob at about $400. Kind of like the Tech 21 Deuce Deluxe I guess, but that never really took off.

I had a Powercab Plus 112. I thought I would enjoy the speaker modeling, but I ended up only using it as a "FRFR" onstage. I traded it straight up for a DT50 combo which I still have.

Looking at so many Options here i really cant see what can be so bad about the Powercab 112
it has a gret speaker and tweeter in a coaxial design, a decent amp section, a front ported wood cabinet, it looks like an amp
it also has speaker emulation by removing the cab block in Your helix which may prove useful for certain situations
its also tiltable
what would a more expensive In (Canadian funds) QSC CP 8 offer more? or any other plastic enclosure type PA speaker
Also curious if the Powercab will now sound even better In "FRFR" mode with the new cab update
considering all this the powercab is very tempting and i have a great deal on 2 of them $1,450.00 Candian funds taxes included brand new
that is way less than any QSC K series or Yamaha DXR series or Freidman ASM 12

Note the vanilla Powercab 112 is not firmware-upgradable, as far as i know.
Yes im aware and Im ok with that, as ill be mainly using it as a "FRFR" so like any other "FRFR" wont need any FW updates
certainly the + is more flexible and has more features but out of my budget for 2 of them
still not sure on pulling the trigger but i am close lol

It would be awesome to have a “Powercab Minus” which would strip out the modeling and just gives you the two way speaker with a tweeter volume knob at about $400. Kind of like the Tech 21 Deuce Deluxe I guess, but that never really took off.
I'd suggest the Laney LFR-112, but the US pricing seems absolutely whack compared to the UK!

Why not get a traditional guitar amp to run right up the middle of the 2 Headrusheseses?
That would be nice But Not enough space in my small Room and
Just 2 compact cabs in each corner , and also need to sell both headrushes to afford the 2 powercabs :(

Last edited:
That would be nice But Not enough space in my small Room and
Just 2 compact cabs in each corner , and also need to sell both headrushes to afford the 2 powercabs :(
You will probably get $150 tops for these. For better or worse.

Aiming for $500 to $450 Canadian for Both including Stands Still have Original Boxes
Not one scratch and in a smoke free environment
See them on market place here in Quebec Canada selling used for about $250 to $300 each
New up here are $370.00 + Quebec taxes which = $425.00 for one brand new No Stands

Well see how it goes

Reactions: JT
Aiming for $500 to $450 Canadian for Both including Stands Still have Original Boxes
Not one scratch and in a smoke free environment
See them on market place here in Quebec Canada selling used for about $250 to $300 each
New up here are $370.00 + Quebec taxes which = $425.00 for one brand new No Stands

Well see how it goes
Yeah I might have a skewed perspective being down here in the lower 48 as far as prices go. Good luck with the sale!

Yeah I might have a skewed perspective being down here in the lower 48 as far as prices go. Good luck with the sale!
Def a different market up here in Quebec everything is expensive and we pay 15% taxes on goods and services :cuss

• Sad
Reactions: JT
Say does anyone who own or has owned a Powercab know the Length of the Power Cord ?
Thanks

Well now you’ve given me an idea. I’ve got the two Jbl 305s I have yet to sell and the traditional catalyst 60 to try WDW…
I'm full of ideas! :idea (Perhaps not always good ones tho...)

Still really on the fence on this buy. Just found out i can source a Catalyst 100, new, for the same price of the used PC 112 :idk
Can buy both new try em out keep the one you like, most outlets have a return policy
I ordered 2 Powercabs i have 30 days with them but im sure its the setup i want but nice to know incase id like to return them

Back