Powercab 112 - yay or nay?

Lysander

Shredder
Just found out an acquaintance is selling a Powercab 112 for a very decent price, reportedly in great condition.

I've been long toying with the idea of getting a dedicated "FRFR" for my modelers. Are there any good reasons why i should not pick this one up? I keep hearing conflicted horror stories about the Powercab line.

Last edited:
He's asking for CHF 300; the thing sells new for CHF 650 around here. It's a substantial discount, specially if it is indeed in good condition.

A Laney LFR-112 ships new for CHF ~400, so 🤷‍♂️

He's asking for CHF 300; the thing sells new for CHF 650 around here. It's a substantial discount, specially if it is indeed in good condition.

A Laney LFR-112 ships new for CHF ~400, so 🤷‍♂️
That's kind of tough. I don't really feel enamored by the Laney either. These kinds of products (other than the Kemper Kab, imo) are just try as many as you can and find the one you can live with the easiest. Not a fun shopping experience.

Just found out an acquaintance is selling a Powercab 112 for a very decent price, reportedly in great condition.

I've been long toying with the idea of getting a dedicated "FRFR" for my modelers. Are there any good reasons why i should not pick this one up? I keep hearing conflicted horror stories about the Powercab line.
Personally, I like my Powercab 112+, but it definitely divides opinion!

If by decent price you mean cheap, you could always buy, try, and flip if necessary.

I really like the Powercab, but I don't use it for gigging. I use it exclusively for home practice, and patch building.

It's somewhere between a pa speaker/"FRFR" and a closed back guitar cabinet.

I prefer a real cab and would recommend a Catalyst 100 instead - it's a great match and also is a great standalone amp

I think most of the negative reviews are not really on th "FRFR" portion most from what ive read is the speaker emulation portion
but dont see why its would not be good as a "FRFR" platform :idk
Amp, 12inch speaker, a solid wood cabinet, and amp like design
but agree with most its hard to know if you may like it or not till you try
we all have different likes and tastes as to what sounds good or not to our ears

I prefer a real cab and would recommend a Catalyst 100 instead - it's a great match and also is a great standalone amp

Yeah, that was the other option i was seriously considering. A new Catalyst 100 is just 15% more than the asking price for the used 112.

Powercab sounds better to me in this video
Same here and did a fair comparison by eliminating the tweeter (used Raw LF Mode) in the L6 PC since a catalyst dont have one
which also makes me wonder if we really need a Tweeter to begin with :idk
im also pretty sure the negative Issues with the PC lies mostly in the speaker modelling aspect
but then again the PC here In Quebec Canada new is more than 2 x the price of a catalyst 60

In thinking about 2 x PC 112 but sure is a lot of coin
but it would def be an Improvement over my 2 "FRFR" 108 Headrush, I do have the room for them in each corner and the PC is front ported /closed back, not sure an Open back Catalyst would sound good placed in a corner :idk

I just played a show with my FM9 into my Powercab 112. It was pretty good. It was alright. It wasn't great. But it was fine.

Back