Posted a new video with a great amp and guitar

Killer tone and playing!!!!

Man, I really love that f*cking guitar. I thought it was you posting pics of it this past week but nope, just James getting another badass 7-string!!!!

Do you run from the Captor X out to the ART tube preamp and then into your interface?

Do you find it makes a big difference in your tone when recording?
Yeah I've recorded in larger studios before, and the recording chain at every studio I’ve recorded at was always the miked cab out to the mic preamp and compressor then into the board. I recorded for a long time with just a Captor and found my tones to be good. Then I got the mic preamp is it’s one of the few under $1k that’s all tube and has variable impedance and two plate voltage options. With the Captor X providing the miked cabinet sound, it made sense to run it into some decent studio gear.

I was always putting 1176 style compressors on my guitar tracks as well, mainly to just take out the woofs in my low palm mutes. But when I actually bought the WA76 compressor, I found that the transformer in it alone gave a little warmer tone to my sound, even if I don’t have the compression engaged.

Right now I run the mic preamp in high voltage mode and I have it push the tube a bit into a soft clip, while I have it just hit the 0 on the output VU meter. That feeds the WA76 which I have set to 4:1 compression and it only activates really on my palm mutes. When i do this, yes I feel it’s a better overall sound, a little richer, going to tape. It’s nice to get some analog warmth on it without having it digitally add it with a VST. By no means are these units essential but I find them very rewarding.

Yeah I've recorded in larger studios before, and the recording chain at every studio I’ve recorded at was always the miked cab out to the mic preamp and compressor then into the board. I recorded for a long time with just a Captor and found my tones to be good. Then I got the mic preamp is it’s one of the few under $1k that’s all tube and has variable impedance and two plate voltage options. With the Captor X providing the miked cabinet sound, it made sense to run it into some decent studio gear.

I was always putting 1176 style compressors on my guitar tracks as well, mainly to just take out the woofs in my low palm mutes. But when I actually bought the WA76 compressor, I found that the transformer in it alone gave a little warmer tone to my sound, even if I don’t have the compression engaged.

Right now I run the mic preamp in high voltage mode and I have it push the tube a bit into a soft clip, while I have it just hit the 0 on the output VU meter. That feeds the WA76 which I have set to 4:1 compression and it only activates really on my palm mutes. When i do this, yes I feel it’s a better overall sound, a little richer, going to tape. It’s nice to get some analog warmth on it without having it digitally add it with a VST. By no means are these units essential but I find them very rewarding.
Thx a bunch for the great description!

I'm going to look at picking up the ART tube preamp and Warm compressor/limiter. It is something I was looking at for a while to get. I'd rather have hardware units to do this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Thx a bunch for the great description!

I'm going to look at picking up the ART tube preamp and Warm compressor/limiter. It is something I was looking at for a while to get. I'd rather have hardware units to do this kind of thing.
If you do, please let me know! I’d love to see what you come up with and share settings with each other.

If you do, please let me know! I’d love to see what you come up with and share settings with each other.

For Sure!

The only thing I am wondering is if you are just running in Mono and then doubling and panning the track because the Warm unit is mono only while the ART is stereo.

200.gif

For Sure!

The only thing I am wondering is if you are just running in Mono and then doubling and panning the track because the Warm unit is mono only while the ART is stereo.
Yep I am recording mono tracks. I can use 2 IRs in the Captor if I want to, and I add any effects in the DAW. If I want to record effects from my pedalboard or fractal or anything, that’s usually a clean sound and i just run it into the inputs on my PreSonus board. I could get another WA76 ideally, but I’m out of rack space on that side of my rack desk and just don’t see the need.

Back