Playing Live: How Do You Guys End Your Rhythm Part To Start A Solo?

Speaking of hot me with your best shot, it’s the second song in this. We had another guitarist, but you couldn’t even hear him at that point. Having a good bass player really helps solo is about the 4:25 mark

you gotta hit the first notes spot on. if you have to drop out of the previous section early or switch to your lead patch a coupe seconds into your solo that is fine.

On that song I always thought it was harder figuring out how to come out of the solo to play those arpeggiated parts right after than to get into the solo
That's easy. Last note of the solo and first note of the arpeggio part are the same note.

I’m with a lot of the others, drop the rhythm part as early as you need to so that you can nail the solo. That’s for general gigging stuff that I normally do.

If you’re playing a fixed, or mostly fixed, set list again and again for a gig, then I’d do it differently and program some big sound change that preserves the tail or something for continuity and making everything smooth. This isn’t really the context I ever play in, so not something I’ve done much of.

Usually, If I feel like something is missing and I need to do something to be ready for the next part, I’ll just ask someone else in the band to try and fill the space. Fortunately, I’m usually playing with guys who are on top of things and I won’t need to ask for this they’ll just know to do it.

D

Yeah cut the end short and usually some kind of pick/string slide to help transition into the first note of the solo.
Exactly this for me. Even with 2 guitar players. When ending a lead I’ll hold a note as long as I can and pick up the rhythm when I feel comfortable hopping back in.

you gotta hit the first notes spot on. if you have to drop out of the previous section early or switch to your lead patch a coupe seconds into your solo that is fine.

100%. Everyone is going to air solo the start of the lead, not the end of the riff preceding it. Stop half a second early to reposition to the opening lead note.

Tellin‘ ya, natural harmonics on the 5th or 4th frets of the G/B strings, divebomb into solo = You’ll get some leg tonight for SURE!

I finally nailed it tonight!!

I've been working on that opening lick to the solo for a long time (along with many other things to better my overall playing), and tonight I dissected that riff, and played every combination of 3-4-5-6 notes until I finally got it up to speed, and could do it at least a few times in a row, without tripping over a note.

I sweep the first 3, then use economy to come back and catch the B string, which isn't as natural for me, but that's the way I WANT to do it, dammit! haha

Then I worked on playing the rhythm part and going for the start of the solo, without dropping any of the final chords, or dumping the bar, pick scrape, etc., and I finally GOT IT!

Back