Playing Live: How Do You Guys End Your Rhythm Part To Start A Solo?

TSJMajesty

Rock Star
I suppose I'm asking in the context of being the only guitar player.

Say you have a rhythm part, then have to get to the solo quickly, so you sort of need to play that last chord before the solo a bit shorter than you would if you were continuing the rhythm part behind the solo, like a 2nd guitarist would.

But you can't really let that final chord ring as long, because you need to get into a higher position, and make sure you nail the start of the solo. I mean, flubs within the solo can be fine, but if you fuck up the beginning or ending..., not good.

A good example is Pat Benatar Hit Me With Your Best Shot.

Would you use a certain effect with the tails left to trail out, then switch presets for the solo? And yes, I've been the sole guitarist in a band, but never paid this much attention to these sorts of things. But if I ever play in a band again, I'm gonna want to have this sort of thing dialed in!

Say you have a rhythm part, then have to get to the solo quickly, so you sort of need to play that last chord before the solo a bit shorter than you would if you were continuing the rhythm part behind the solo, like a 2nd guitarist would.

But you can't really let that final chord ring as long, because you need to get into a higher position, and make sure you nail the start of the solo. I mean, flubs within the solo can be fine, but if you f**k up the beginning or ending..., not good.

A good example is Pat Benatar Hit Me With Your Best Shot.

Would you use a certain effect with the tails left to trail out, then switch presets for the solo? And yes, I've been the sole guitarist in a band, but never paid this much attention to these sorts of things. But if I ever play in a band again, I'm gonna want to have this sort of thing dialed in!

I just cut the rhythm a little short. Especially on that one. I have played it a million times.

I just cut the rhythm a little short. Especially on that one. I have played it a million times.

Yeah cut the end short and usually some kind of pick/string slide to help transition into the first note of the solo.

Same.

The alternate picking of the first few notes in that solo is actually a little difficult, at least for me, if you play it correctly.

With that particular one I usually just play rhythm to beat 4, let the last chord ring, hit the TubeScreamer, and start the solo on beat 1.

It always depends on the song for me, usually some variation of “end the rhythm a little early to transition to the solo”

Probably no the answer you are looking for but I use one of these extensively live (as does my bass player) :LOL:

lohf1tesbgrerzajbidp.jpg

This is probably how I started overusing things like dumping the bar or sliding my hand down the strings and loosely fretting them to transition into a solo. Basically it’s making some dumb noise in the last couple beats of the measure before the solo that creates a ‘stepping off’ point so there’s no hard break.

i did about 8 years of gigs on an Axe-FX Standard with a Behringer FC whatever it's called. Without scenes or any gapless switching, I used the expression pedal to morph from rhythm to lead sounds.
Basically for something like Hit me with your best shot I would start heel down for the rhythm sound.

Amp, Cab, a bit of reverb.
For the solo I'd have the expression pedal increase amp gain, turn on a parametric EQ with a mid boost and a few DB's of gain, increase the reverb, and bring in the delay. From lean to mean on a single preset.

On the FM9 adding a drive pedal works really well. But On the Standard, increasing the amp gain sounded better.

Feels like the stone age.

Yeah I sweep the first 3 notes, then do an economy pick to get back to the B string.

Never thought about cutting the rhythm part short though. Or using a pick scrape. Or a dive. Good thing I asked.

I think the Looper's a bit much for a song like that though.

Interesting. I learned that solo or sh*t's and giggles, and just sweep on a down stroke on the g,b and e string to start the riff.

Yeah I sweep the first 3 notes, then do an economy pick to get back to the B string.

Never thought about cutting the rhythm part short though. Or using a pick scrape. Or a dive. Good thing I asked.

I think the Looper's a bit much for a song like that though.
Now that I listen to it again, you guys are right. I last learned it like 20 years ago, and I think I thought that first group of notes was something different.

Now that I listen to it again, you guys are right. I last learned it like 20 years ago, and I think I thought that first group of notes was something different.
Its a fun little solo. Tasty licks. You gotta be quick to nail those bends to pitch at the end though. And if you can get off that last chord and move fast enough to start the solo, you don't really need to cut the rhythm short.

How about transposing the intended chord higher up the fretboard, maybe even a dyad .
This could put you in position for the solo 🤷🏻
Or alternately, sub a bass note/ double stop from one or more open strings. A lot (most?) rock and roll songs are sympathetic with the open strings, so you can often find an open substitution to play as a passing note or chord.

Usually even this much is unnecessary, though. With an entire band making a racket and an electric guitar/ amp being as resonant as it is, there's plenty of time to get from point A to point B without overthinking it.

On that song I always thought it was harder figuring out how to come out of the solo to play those arpeggiated parts right after than to get into the solo

Have not played that one, but in general the drummer is often doing a fill or hitting cymbals or something, so the switch isn't really noticeable in the overall band sound.

Back