Petrucci’s Current Touring Rig (TSJMajesty, bring paper towels)

If I remember correctly, Petrucci used to have a 1U mystery piece that was metal with a knob on it. I think it was at the top part of his rack. I don’t see it here in these but it would’ve had to have been 2000-2005 ish.

Did that ever get explained/identified?

Train of Thought was the only DT album I've owned and thoroughly listened to. I'm really not into LaBrie's vocals and lyricism
Except the factor that LaBrie rarely writes lyrics... most of the lyrical content was JP and then Portnoy... Overall I like Myung's stuff the best, but they stopped letting him write because he didn't arrange the lyrics to JP/MP's liking. Now it seems like they're all on equal footing over the last few albums minus The. Astonishing which wasn't really astonishing.

If I remember correctly, Petrucci used to have a 1U mystery piece that was metal with a knob on it. I think it was at the top part of his rack. I don’t see it here in these but it would’ve had to have been 2000-2005 ish.

Did that ever get explained/identified?
In the early days they took a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor out of it's native casing and attached it to a 1U plate. There was also the OG rack wah too which was also 1U.

Yaww! As a singer I'd hate to have my job tug-of-war'ed over. Did they also clamp his miniature balls in a vicegrip to get his voice to sound like that??
BONG! that's hilarious. The new album seems to have reigned that in a lot. That whole like Kansas meets Queen thing was his deal early on. Falsettos and whatnot. The craziest thing in their history though is how they finished Awake, and he went on vacation to Cuba (as the lone Canadian in the band he was able to do that) and ate something, got insane food poisoning and ruptured blood vessels on his vocal chords. He's never sounded the same since... doctors told him to take a year off, but they had to start tour and he sort of just went with it. The Lifting Shadows book was a cool historical of the band. I wish they'd put it on digital because I think it's been updated and much like anything else these day's I'd rather not have the clutter around.

There was also the 'Nunya' pre-amp back in the day, a 2-U green rack. If I remember right it was a pre-amp Mark Synder built that was basically a Mark amp.
I remember that... not sure if it was more the clean side or a channel switcher that did both. In the grand scheme, his current rack is lethal. 2 JP2C's 2 Axe III's, some pedals. Boom. Into 1x12's. LOLOL.

his current rack is lethal. 2 JP2C's 2 Axe III's, some pedals. Boom. Into 1x12's. LOLOL.
And it sounds like the gods of Thor! I think that's the right way to say that his live sounds was absolutely, mind-blowingly GLORIOUS! I know cuz I was right up front at one of his first few solo tour shows last year. Best live..., hell, best ever, guitar tone I've heard!

Back