People whom you wish you could meet

newpedals

Groupie
I hope it will be all right to start a thread about inspiring people whom you wish you could meet.

They don't have to be musicians either.

I have always adored Sally Ride. She achieved so many things, and she encouraged those around her to pursue their dreams.

Today social media expects us to share pics of cereal we eat for breakfast.

People like Sally kept their private lives away from public eyes. She was empathetic and supportive, but also professional and focused.

I wish that a time machine would be invented, so that I will get to meet her.

Thank you, Sally.

Pretty much anyone in the spaceflight industry.

In regards to music, I’ve met a few of my heroes like Andy Timmons, Andy McKee, Devin Townsend, a whole bunch of guys from the 80’s.

But I’d still like to meet Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, as they were my biggest influences when I first started playing.

A lot of actors and film makers that are too long to list.

In a guitar context, John Petrucci of course. I so admire his dedication to learning the guitar, and getting his playing to the level it is. I'd love to be able to ask him specific questions about his early practice times, and how he deals with age.

Even though we're dealing with much smaller muscles, I gotta think there's a parallel to, for example, there being no professional baseball players past the age of 40 (except for rare guys like Nolan Ryan), and any musician who uses their fingers at their outer limits of speed and dexterity. Certainly not a 1-to-1 parallel, since we still have guys like Satch and Jordan Rudess and Tony Levin still bringing it. But I'd be interested in picking his brain on that whole topic to see what he thinks, or how it affects him, or if it even does just yet.

And did he at one time (like I did last night) sit with a metronome and just tremolo-pick a single note at 700 n.p.m.? :rofl

And I'd also like to meet Donald Trump, and talk with him about his early construction days, since I too came into this business as a son of a builder. But in his case, I'd be awestruck in learning how he dealt with the huge scale of those projects.

In a guitar context, John Petrucci of course.
I was so close to meeting John. My father and I got to sit and chat with Mike Portnoy, Kevin Moore, and John Myung for nearly an hour before their show, way back during the Images and Words tour. James LaBrie was out taking a jog, and Petrucci was in his bus warming up.

His tech did give me the strings off of his JMP100 though. They were dirty asf and stabbing my leg through my pocket the entire show.

Partial list

Gilbert_Stuart_Williamstown_Portrait_of_George_Washington.jpg
Joseph_Siffrein_Duplessis_-_Benjamin_Franklin_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
220px-ChuckYeager.jpg
Eddie_Van_Halen_at_the_New_Haven_Coliseum.jpg
Ronni_Le_Tekrø3.jpg
220px-Deep_Purple_-_inFinite_-_The_Long_Goodbye_Tour_-_Barclaycard_Arena_Hamburg_2017_59.jpg
220px-Ritchie_Blackmore's_Rainbow_headlining_the_Stone_Free_2017_Festival_at_the_O2_(349941582...jpg
267px-Eric_Johnson_2017_©John_Bland.jpg

I was so close to meeting John. My father and I got to sit and chat with Mike Portnoy, Kevin Moore, and John Myung for nearly an hour before their show, way back during the Images and Words tour. James LaBrie was out taking a jog, and Petrucci was in his bus warming up.

His tech did give me the strings off of his JMP100 though. They were dirty asf and stabbing my leg through my pocket the entire show.
On the SFAM tour, James came out front and talked to us in line. He was excited to reveal to us that the psychotherapist was also reincarnated!!

Prior to the show, John pulled up in a minivan and got on the tour bus parked across the street. I could see when he came out, so I ran over to him to try to get him to autograph my tab book, and goes, "I am really busy right now." :(

Met Mike and Rod Morgenstein at a music store visit. Rod was cool af, taking as much time to chat with us, but when me and my cousin asked them both if they'd like to go grab some lunch, Mike wasn't up for it. Too tired, said he wanted to go back to the hotel and get some sleep.

I told Rod I'd caught one of his sticks at the previous show, so I needed its mate! ;) So at the end of their set, he actually looked for me in the crowd, and threw the stick towards me, but I wasn't tall enough to catch it. He was so cool! He lifted his arms as if to say, "I tried!" LOL

My own ancestors. The people without whom I would not be here had they
not found a way to survive and pass on their genetic inheritance. Thank you. :beer
I thought of that one too. I have, er, had, as I'm sure he's dead by now, a grandfather whom I never met. He was my father's father, and he split from my grandmother when my father was just an infant. But my great aunt and grandmother told me some things about him (such as he was a 1940's version of a 'player'), so I'd just like to understand why he did what he did.

I possibly have other half-aunts and/or uncles, and maybe cousins, I've never met, cuz I'd imagine he fathered other kids.

I would love to have been able to sit and chat with Frank Zappa! He is my musical god and so much more!! I did meet his son Ahmet in LA around 2000, but it was just a "hi, nice to meet you" situation.

I have met some legends though, and even was allowed to spend some time with and ask questions of a few of them. Here is what I have off the top of my head. Met Prince twice, and twice he stopped to watch ME dance! Got to meet and get the autograph of Lou Reed and many people know, he was NOT public friendly! His bus driver convinced him he should come out and meet me after the show behind the theater ;~)) His bus driver also got me some ice off the bus for my tequila that I was drinking while I studied for my latin exam the next day (was there all afternoon hoping to get him to sign some pieces and say hi)! Got to spend an afternoon with Spencer Davis and he had some good stories he shared! I was luck enough to meet Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson and granted a seat on their tour bus for a 5 minute chat with each of them!!! They let two of us on the bus at a time and we each sat with one of them and talked, then traded places! Met Adrian Belew in LA once at a KC show. He came bursting out of a stairwell door and asked the bartender for a beer between sets. The bartender puts the beer on the bar and says "$10"! I said, "do you know who this is, he just got off the stage downstairs, he has played with Zappa, Talking Heads, Bowie and more, this is Adrian Belew". The bartender looks at me and then Adrian says "I have put out X solo albums as well" (I forget how many he said) to which I chimed in "Yes and 'Desire Caught By Tail' is my favorite". I then said "Hell, I will buy his beer if you are not going to give it to him" (he had no wallet or cash, he had just come from the stage). The bartender ultimately was convinced that he was with the band and let him walk away with his beer at no charge. I then asked Adrian to get me RF's autograph and he said no way! He did however autograph my Fillmore poster from a show by them a few nights prior! Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads (got him to sign my shoe, same with Gilbert Gottfried), Sammy Llanas of the Bodeans, Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes is close friends and used to be room mates with my uncle, so I have met him on a few occasions. I worked a Rolling Stones concert once and they were only about 10 feet away at many times that day, but I was not allowed to talk with them! Met Bill Kreutzman of the Grateful Dead!!! Been to Todd and Michelle Rundgrens house years ago when Michelle was hosting a local play. My girlfriend is a belly dancer and she danced at their wedding a couple of decades ago! I have had the opportunity to approach Carlos Santana on a few occassions but never have because a friend who is a pilot explained to me that Carlos does not like being approached by the public. This was based on his interaction with him (pilot friend) having encountered Carlos on a flight and Carlos just stared straight ahead as he thanked him for being on board, his wife spoke up and said he was very shy (or maybe it was a flashback to that Woodstock state of mind)!!! Mike Gordon from Phish, Greg Koch, Michael Franti and others that are not coming to mind at this time ;~))

1. Takaakira ‘Taka’ Goto and Hideki "Yoda" Suematsu (MONO)
I want to talk to them about life… and death
2. Efrim Menuck (GY!BE)
I want to talk to him to… they say he is weird.
3. Jon Birgisson (Sigur Ros)
I blame the dude for everything… he will teach me to sing like a boy choir and beat up my guitar with a fiddle bow.
4. Stuart Braithwaite (Mogwai)
He shall teach, I shall listen

Back