Pedals not playing nice together

I agree to a degree. There are much better pedals out there but these two particular ones give me sounds that I have not gotten otherwise. I read in a blog that the issue I am having is digital processing noise caused by the manufacture not putting filtering at both ends of the circuit which, yes, is why they are cheap pedals. The common thought is that the whine gets amplified by the adjoining pedals via the power. But I have tried completely isolated power supplies at the proper specs and it does not fix the issue, so I feel it leaks into the audio regardless. So yes short of re designing the pedals to include filtering, buying better quality pedals is the answer. Just a shame though, because whoever engineered these pedals had some good ideas.
I mean ..you could theoretically add a power filter circuit, to the existing circuit.

But I am not sure of your soldering skills level, and am not a good teacher over the interwebs ....but if you have good skills and understand basic pedal power circuits...you could probably fix the issue in one day, for like 1usd.

Read through this thread for more insight into what is missing from these circuits...and how to possibly fix it, by applying the same principles.

Also, I may ask @FuzzyAce if I am pointing in the wrong direction... considering it's a digital pedal.

Last edited:
Well after lots of experimenting and fixing a few issues, it is still a digital noisy pedal, but acceptable. First I found that I was running a daisy chain on two pedals on the board. I replaced the cable with two separate cables. So now everything is on its own isolated power. Next I placed the offending Excalibur as distant from its sister mini universe as possible. Lastly I went through every power supply I own, which a box of wall warts from over thirty years. Finally the last one I tried was an extremely old RadioShack wart with switchable voltage settings and 300 mA. For whatever reason this one tamed the whining to an acceptable level. There were plenty other 9v 300 mA ones but this one did the trick. What’s left I can eq out. Next project getting all my old Boss pedals modified to run off 9v directly.

M-vave mini universe (reverb) and an M-Vave Elemental (delay)
To be fair, I was gonna be snobbish and say that these are cheap pedals and you should replace them with some good ones. But they sound pretty dang good in Youtube videos. It is a shame they're not buiilt to a higher quality, if it is indeed down to the filtering.

There are plenty of alternatives out there for those kinds of sounds, but not at that price.

Back