Pedal switchers

I really would love to replace it with something smaller but it just sounds so good, those head/feedback buttons make it easy to work with too.
I just adore this thing. Not sure exactly why but the reel-to-reel mode slays me.

Maybe it’s the combo of clarity with tape warmth. With Uber control.

👍🏻😎👍🏻

Yeah I’ve seen mixed reviews with the ES and SuperSwitcher reviews in regards to some tone suck.

There is a pucker factor on the G3 pricing though :ROFLMAO: Their quartermaster series looks pretty awesome and straightforward, but at the expense of some of the more advanced features. (Which could be a good or bad thing depending on preference I suppose) I do wish the QM series had some ability to trigger midi, and I havent figured out how I could incorporate midi easily into a QM setup. (Assuming I eventually wanted to go hard with midi)
Yes the Quartermaster is excellent too but as you say very basic. BUT you can’t tell either us in the signal at all. They both sound like only the pedals on and everything else physically out of the circuit and no other systems I’ve ever tried manage that.

1719518435813.png

I have a proper PTU board.

Yes the Quartermaster is excellent too but as you say very basic. BUT you can’t tell either us in the signal at all. They both sound like only the pedals on and everything else physically out of the circuit and no other systems I’ve ever tried manage that.

Yeah my main concern is only having the selected pedals in the chain and bypassing entirely everything not being used. I think that should give the purest tone and get out of the game of what pedal doesn’t play nice with a buffer upstream, or noisy but awesome EHX pedals etc. lol

I’m giving serious consideration to a Quartermaster 10 because it’s simple and would easily integrate on my existing board. Also doesn’t hurt that it’s $400 vs $1700. But, I wouldn’t be able to do midi switching without something else. For my bedroom gigs making an extra tap to toggle a preset is probably not the end of the world though.

But, the Morningstar MX10 thing Laxu mention looks like a badass solution too because it’s up to 10 mono loops, can do all the midi switching too, isn’t too expensive, but then needs its own midi controller.

The G3 is of course the yolo and totally overkill option, but solves any configuration you could ever throw at it.

:unsure:

Last edited:
Yeah my main concern is only having the selected pedals in the chain and bypassing entirely everything not being used. I think that should give the purest tone and get out of the game of what pedal doesn’t play nice with a buffer upstream, or noisy but awesome EHX pedals etc. lol

I’m giving serious consideration to a Quartermaster 10 because it’s simple and would easily integrate on my existing board. Also doesn’t hurt that it’s $400 vs $1700. But, I wouldn’t be able to do midi switching without something else, but for my bedroom gigs making an extra tap to toggle a preset is probably not the end of the world.

But, the Morningstar MX10 thing Laxu mention looks like a badass solution too because it’s up to 10 mono loops, can do all the midi switching too, isn’t too expensive, but then needs its own midi controller.

The G3 is of course the yolo and totally overkill option, but solves any configuration you could ever throw at it.

Depends how tone suck bothers you. I would go QM over any of the other options except the G3.

I’m giving serious consideration to a Quartermaster 10 because it’s simple and would easily integrate on my existing board. Also doesn’t hurt that it’s $400 vs $1700. But, I wouldn’t be able to do midi switching without something else. For my bedroom gigs making an extra tap to toggle a preset is probably not the end of the world though.

Well Geesh @Whizzinby and @Eagle

Now you guys have me wondering if I jumped too soon on the relatively new Fender Switchboard. Hopefully it a solid modern product that avoids the typical pitfalls. I had no idea these type devices impacted tone. I just thought of the as managed relays…. Signal I/O plain and simple.

IMG_0254.png

Now you guys have me wondering if I jumped too soon on the relatively new Fender Switchboard. Hopefully it a solid modern product that avoids the typical pitfalls. I had no idea these type devices impacted tone. I just thought of the as managed relays…. Signal I/O plain and simple.

View attachment 24612

I’ve been watching a lot of vids on switchers and the Fender one seems well regarded from what I can tell.

I’m kind of shaping my outlook based on my current board, which could change by the minute. :ROFLMAO:

My personal

View attachment 24612
Thanks to what's written in the bottom right corner I wouldn't worry too much.

1719524544832.png

I’ve been watching a lot of vids on switchers and the Fender one seems well regarded from what I can tell.

I’m kind of shaping my outlook based on my current board, which could change by the minute. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for that input! We’ll see soon enough. It sure looks sharp… at least to me. Smaller than I expected but I guess that could be considered a good thing on a board.

😁

View attachment 24612
See if the switcher with a pedal in sounds exactly the same as the pedal on its own direct. Then see if the switcher affects the dry sound. If it fails either send it back.

See if the switcher with a pedal in sounds exactly the same as the pedal on its own direct. Then see if the switcher affects the dry sound. If it fails either send it back.
Roger that. Great advice. Thank you Sir!

🤞

Some switchers work if you use a buffer but suck if you don’t and some are only good for fx loops running line level. This is a shitty thing about most time based pedals today is no way of optimising the input level, no control or clip led. Old rack classics got this and analog dry through right. So many new pedals with dry through colour the sound and squander quality with a “universal “ input level.

I use a switcher for my home board, the G3 Atom. I've honestly never taken it out of the house, my gig boards are fairly simple as they need to meet my rig-must-be-bulletproof mentality. Lots of connections = lots of opportunity for things to go wrong.

wp2awcal.jpg

While there's definitely a learning curve and a deep rabbit hole initally, once you get it figured out, its pretty awesome and intuitive. My favorite thing about the G3 is that there's no "save" button; no matter what you change, it automatically sets that way. Finding pedal placement for picky FX units, phase inversion, changing routing of your whole board on the fly, naming presets - all super easy and intuitive. Also nice being able to go faux stereo or wet/dry on the outputs. Currently running dirty pedals into the Mark IV, and then clean + HXFX > Reverb > Space Echo into the tweed Vibrolux.

MTuHGvPl.jpg

I use a switcher for my home board, the G3 Atom. I've honestly never taken it out of the house, my gig boards are fairly simple as they need to meet my rig-must-be-bulletproof mentality. Lots of connections = lots of opportunity for things to go wrong.

wp2awcal.jpg

While there's definitely a learning curve and a deep rabbit hole initally, once you get it figured out, its pretty awesome and intuitive. My favorite thing about the G3 is that there's no "save" button; no matter what you change, it automatically sets that way. Finding pedal placement for picky FX units, phase inversion, changing routing of your whole board on the fly, naming presets - all super easy and intuitive. Also nice being able to go faux stereo or wet/dry on the outputs. Currently running dirty pedals into the Mark IV, and then clean + HXFX > Reverb > Space Echo into the tweed Vibrolux.

MTuHGvPl.jpg
That’s one pretty Mesa Boogie right there. I have a Princeton and Deluxe Limited Editions with the same Bordeaux and Wheat scheme. I love it!

PXL_20231211_011614256.MP.jpg

Late to the conversation, but I'm extremely happy with the Voodoo Lab switcher. It's nowhere close in features as the G3, but it works well and the form factor can't be beat.

That said, I'd love to have a G3.

Back