Pedal in checked baggage - OK?

jellodog

Rock Star
I've got a simple preamp / boost pedal. I'm flying next week with it and intend to put this is my suitcase which will be checked baggage.

I'm assuming that this okay and that security services are used to this sort of thing? There's no way that they will see this as a potential bomb, right?

Last edited:
I've got a simple preamp / boost pedal. I'm flying next week with it and intend to put this is my suitcase which will be checked baggage.

I'm assuming that this okay and that security services are used to this sort of thing? There's no way that they will see this as a potential bomb, right?
They might. I’ve had a guitar processor mistaken as something weird, and arrived to find my shit gone through in a nice rough manner.

I would look it up just to be sure. And never use that word, btw.

I used to go on an annual ski trip to CO with a bunch of guys, and I really looked forward to it, so I was in extra-good spirits when I arrived at the airport. So when I was at the bag counter, and she asked me if there were any prohibited items in my baggage (or whatever they used to ask), I kiddingly said something like, "You mean like my guns?" And as soon as the words came out, I realized, oh shit!" She did NOT smile and just said, "Do I need to call security?" I was like, "No, no, I'm sorry. I was just really excited about this trip, and kidding around, and I realized I shouldn't have said that. And no, is the answer to your question." Those next few seconds that she just stared at me seemed a lot longer than they were.

I go over to the bar and my buddies are like, "Hey Tom just started the trip by almost getting himself arrested! Haha"

They might. I’ve had a guitar processor mistaken as something weird, and arrived to find my s**t gone through in a nice rough manner.

Hmmm. That doesn't sound good. I just want to drop off my suitcase at the check-in counter and not hear about it again until I'm at my destination.

So perhaps I'm better off just putting it in my carry on and declaring it to the X-Ray scanner people in the security line and be upfront about it instead? At least I can discuss it with them easily and explain it.

It probably doesn't help that the pedal has a "fun" bright red flip top button protector on it that looks like a detonator button :facepalm

I'm trying to figure out how to fly with my stuff as well. I drove it one way last time, and my bandmates drove it home for me when I flew, but it might all be on me this time. We'll see, I have a pretty small (Mono tick) bag for my flyrig.

Imagine trying to explain the P___y Melter to a TSA agent with onlookers around? :bag
Thank you. This will now be in all carry on bags going forward. Maybe the butthole burner, too. Mortifying my wife is my mission in life.

Edit: I’d want her to film it and then somehow get that video to Satchel.

Edited edit: Convo with some poor TSA agent: “you see, I take this device into a bar or a club. I plug my guitar into this end, then I activate the GUSHING toggle, making sure the load knob is turned all the way up. Before you know it, I have puddles of melted pussies all over the place. You gotta come out and see this…….hey you want to hear about the butthole burner, too……”?

I flew from India to Canada and had 10 or so pedals in the checked baggage.
All mini sized and inexpensive.

Didn’t have any issues anywhere.

Just don’t keep any cables plugged into it, it seems that freaks out TSA the most. I can’t remember if it was Pete Thorn or another YouTuber, but they got sick of TSA unplugging all their cables and pulling the pedals off the velcro, I can’t remember what they did to get around it but they made a video on making their pedalboard TSA proof.

That said, I’ve known a bunch of people who have flown with all kinds of gear and it’s never been an issue. I suspect TSA gets bored sometimes and seeing something like a pedalboard coming through pops up a “Oh, what’s this stuff?” feeling in them. Pedals do indeed look f*cking cool.

Back