Paul David’s board

Agree. It’s just too much to be justified both technically and economically (for me personaly). I prefer my simple way, using a smaller modeler that has the freedom of choices and combine that with a few pedals. After all, I’m just a homeplayer… there’s limits. Many people don’t have limits though :rofl
I don't mind spending money on my few relatively inexpensive hobbies as far as hobbies go, but my board costs similar money to a full retail Axe-Fx 3 + FC-12 setup, even though a good part of my pedals and whatnot have been bought used. My used Axe-Fx 3 rig actually costs less!

Pedals are something where you can spend a huge amount of money if you want or very little and everything in between depending on your preferences, needs etc.

I went all the way in because I wanted to build a board that does not sit on the floor but is controlled via MIDI using a separate controller.

I have a pretty nasty hiatal hernia so bending down to adjust pedals is really uncomfortable for me, which is why I've also given up on all floor modelers and won't use loop switchers with footswitches. Put the board higher up for tweaking, switch with a separate controller, no problem!

I do question if it makes any sense at all when I could just use the Axe-Fx 3 but it's a bit of fun and I can afford it so why not!

That's a cool board but unfortunately these sort of videos ignore one aspect of it all: the pain in the ass that is programming all that to work together.

Then there's the expression stuff which is another "your imagination is the limit" type thing on figuring out good uses for it but it's often not super quick to switch what parameter(s) are being controlled and on which pedals.

Yup. Excellent future video content included free with purchase. :LOL:

I couldn’t afford all that, and I could certainly not play well enough to actually justify all that.
I get it that stuff is too expensive, especially these days. I don't understand the mentality of having to "justify" your gear with your chops tho. I know collectors with an insane amount of rare/expensive/vintage/awesome stuff and they cannot play a G chord! If you want a piece of gear, and you aren't putting yourself in massive debt, well then you fuckin deserve it, and don't need to justify it to anyone.

I get it that stuff is too expensive, especially these days. I don't understand the mentality of having to "justify" your gear with your chops tho. I know collectors with an insane amount of rare/expensive/vintage/awesome stuff and they cannot play a G chord! If you want a piece of gear, and you aren't putting yourself in massive debt, well then you *****in deserve it, and don't need to justify it to anyone.
i agree with you totally, that’s what I’ve would have said to someone to actually. Was just talking about my own way with my gear. I have that mentality that I get what I need and is capable of using. The part of playing good or not… you’re right.. I was thinking the wrong thing there. I actually don’t think like that.

Honestly, I couldn’t afford a board like that. You know…. Got kids, house, wife and loans and stuff to do that costs. I guess that’s what I’m saying when I say such things.

A few of those pedals, is like renovating and fixing up the guest room… as an example. That needs to be done. And it’s worth more than gear.

But after that though… and maybe installing a work bench in the laundry room…
I definitely deserve a pedal
:rollsafe

You definitely deserve a pedal, swede! I agree with you that life and its responsibilities should outweigh a silly hobby, but those hobbies are what keep us sane. Everyone needs a little dopamine release from time to time!

Truth is, as cool and expensive as that board is (and I say this as someone who owns a very similar board, lol) its also a complete overkill. I'd bet most of us on this forum already own exactly the tools we need to make music. The rest is just gravy, ya know?

A few of those pedals, is like renovating and fixing up the guest room… as an example. That needs to be done. And it’s worth more than gear.
Honestly, I couldn't disagree more with this.

The guests can fuck off and rent a hotel up the road. My happiness is more important than the occasional time someone needs a bed. Sleep on an air matress on the floor of my living room, you hobo.

Yagetme?

Yes, my daughter needs shoes and food. I need amps more than shoes and food.

Ugghhh!!!

Reading this thread triggered me into calculating an approximate price of my complete pedalboard, which seems to be somewhere around a whopping 2.8k EUR...

Not sure what to make of this. It can easily be recreated with my HX FX, a preamp, and an expression pedal, adding up to just below 1k EUR.

You definitely deserve a pedal, swede! I agree with you that life and its responsibilities should outweigh a silly hobby, but those hobbies are what keep us sane. Everyone needs a little dopamine release from time to time!

Truth is, as cool and expensive as that board is (and I say this as someone who owns a very similar board, lol) its also a complete overkill. I'd bet most of us on this forum already own exactly the tools we need to make music. The rest is just gravy, ya know?

I agree. It's such a delicate balance, isn't it? I don't think it is helpful to show our kids that when they are
adults they need to defer all their wishes for the sake of others. And yet, sacrifice is often required
as parents/adults.

We are all different, with different circumstances, and often living in different cultures with different expectations.
I think that is why these kinds of decisions end up being so personal. :idk

Back