PA Speakers or as they are called "FRFR"

Stone

Rock Star
So I have a pair of Headrush "FRFR"-108 in Stereo and its Home only use
while i can say I'm really happy with them, just sometimes wonder how much better tone i would get if say went with a pair of Yamaha DBR 10
in essence they do sport the same Class D amp and they are still 2 way speakers and well Yamaha is a 10"
Wondering if worth the supposedly upgrade, I am trying to find a dealer who one has a pair in stock, very hard to come bye up here in Quebec Canada
and also if they offer a return policy
because to me that the best way to determine if worth it, is A/B comparison in my environement with my gear and set up

1. I actually move that we strike ""FRFR"" as a descriptor from these pages, and start a new chapter.
2. You're not gonna like this, but tone is subjective, and honestly, only your ears will decide if the Yamaha is "better", and what "better" even means.

The only way to really know, is to try them, preferably side by side.

Some Yamaha speakers IMO aren’t bad for the price; for example, HS8s. Dunno about those 10s. Try em out.

1. I actually move that we strike ""FRFR"" as a descriptor from these pages, and start a new chapter.
2. You're not gonna like this, but tone is subjective, and honestly, only your ears will decide if the Yamaha is "better", and what "better" even means.

The only way to really know, is to try them, preferably side by side.
Motion ApprovedTM
Judge Joe Brown GIF

Yes - I would say it would be an upgrade.

I’ve had Altos before (basically same as the Headrush) and upgraded to the Yamaha DXR10s. Big difference to me - more articulate, seemed more flat, presets sounded better across the board, felt like a higher quality speaker in all regards.

I haven’t played through the DBRs, but given that (a) the speaks are pretty close to the DXRs, and (b) you’ll be going from an 8” speaker to a 10” speaker which I personally think is the sweet spot for use with modelers, I think this will be an upgrade.

Best option would be to find them somewhere that has a return policy and check them out to see what you think!

When I was PA speaker and wedge hunting I tried a bunch. QSC, Yamaha, JBL, EV, Turbosound and RCF. I chose the EV ELX series because to me not only were they cost effective but had the warmest sound of all the speakers I tried. Maybe because they are wood constructed I dunno why but I still to this day swear by them. I ended up with 5 112P's and 2 118P's and other than one of them blowing the horn amp, I havent had a single problem in almost 7 years. I do have a pair of Turbosound IP2000's now that I use for smaller gigs and those are ok for guitar but I always bring an amp when I have to use those cos they are a bit sterile for guitar. I also bought 4 ZLX 115P's to use for when I do sound for other bands to save wear and tear on my ELX's.

I think really it comes down to what you think you are wanting out of the "upgrade" and as @Baba said; what criteria would constitute an upgrade for you.

I think really it comes down to what you think you are wanting out of the "upgrade" and as @Baba said; what criteria would constitute an upgrade for you.
That's the thing Maybe a more defined tone ? maybe flatter response , smooth or tamed highs i would not know since i only have the Headrush at the moment, something along the lines that @Fireproof mentioned
but alas really the only way is to buy and try
and yes I agree about the moniker "FRFR" its term that's coined by the industry ;)

Reactions: JTI
That's the thing Maybe a more defined tone ? maybe flatter response , smooth or tamed highs i would not know since i only have the Headrush at the moment, something along the lines that @Fireproof mentioned
but alas really the only way is to buy and try
and yes I agree about the moniker "FRFR" its term that's coined by the industry ;)
Industry’s gonna industry. ;)

Studio monitors are "FRFR". There is nothing ""FRFR"" about the FRFR108 or FRFR112 powered PA speakers. They are dreadful.

If just for home use and you're happy with what you got, don't worry about greener grass. My Alto speakers weren't cutting it in a loud metal band so I decided to upgrade to a single QSC and it was a big improvement in volume and clarity. Had I stuck with the indie rock band I was in beforehand I might not have needed the switch but I'm glad I did.

Suit your needs before your wants and just play.

Back