Old School Digital

KingsXJJ

Roadie
Hey Gang,

Any of you fine fellows swim in these waters in the old days? Amazing how far things have come…

1711068805223.png

I posted this on Axe-Change years ago:

The biggest mistake Yamaha did was to go from these:

2001-03-yamahadg-1-uC2Y7sd7LR9TO6LrCH85cQXT5M7Pv_e7.jpg

ud_stomp.jpg

to the Magic Stomp, which threw away all those nice controls for an awful menu hell:

yamaha-magicstomp-985706.jpg

While not as old as some of the others posted in this thread, I feel like there was an era when they wanted to cram digital displays into everything and then never thought about how to make them nice to use.

Now we are instead in an era where having some sort of display would be a good idea, but then manufacturers don't put them in.

ud_stomp.jpg

to the Magic Stomp, which threw away all those nice controls for an awful menu hell:

While not as old as some of the others posted in this thread, I feel like there was an era when they wanted to cram digital displays into everything and then never thought about how to make them nice to use.

Now we are instead in an era where having some sort of display would be a good idea, but then manufacturers don't put them in.
I would love to get my hands on a DG-Stomp just to dissect this one super chorussy clean preset. I switched on it by accident and it wound up being the centerpiece for a song, but I never got a chance to figure out what it was doing.

Lots of DigiTech stuff back in the day. RP3, (another one I can't remember that was black with 10 footswitches), GSP 21 (OG), TSR 12, TSR 24 and GNX 2. And a Peavey Tubefex.

Played Pink Floyd and Rush tribute gigs from '96 to '02 with a Peavey Tubefex with the TSR-12 in the loop into a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp into a Peavey 410e cab. Piezo out into the RP3 direct to PA.

My digital adulthood began with an Axe-FX Std in 2008.

ud_stomp.jpg

Wow. I can see where the Atomic Amplifire design came from.

Back