OCD

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
Getting the urge to pick up an OCD pedal.

I have one of those Joyo clones with the diode in the wrong way around. I'm not averse to correcting that if it lands me on a decent take of an OCD circuit.

That said, I'm happy hunting down something else if it's better. I've been trying various emulations just to gauge how much they might vary. I think the versions with a bit more top end+midrange appeal to me more than the flatter/more even sounding versions. V2 seems like the least appealing to what I'm after. V1.2 seems great to me, but I think I could make 1.4 or 1.7 work.

Am I best hunting down a Fulltone one (prices have got a little silly since Mike outed himself as an arse)? or is anyone making a decent clone of one of these versions of the circuit?

I nabbed an OCD 1.4 for $150 on Reverb a few months ago.

seems to be the going rate. Any reason you went for that version? Do you feel like any emulations of it give a reasonable approximation of what to expect?

I just remembered I have a Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V2, which is based off an OCD. doesnt seem exactly the same as the plugins but it does seem more like Helix's v1.2 than its v1.4. Trying to work out if I want a v1.4 or a clone of an earlier circuit....

seems to be the going rate. Any reason you went for that version? Do you feel like any emulations of it give a reasonable approximation of what to expect?

I just remembered I have a Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V2, which is based off an OCD. doesnt seem exactly the same as the plugins but it does seem more like Helix's v1.2 than its v1.4. Trying to work out if I want a v1.4 or a clone of an earlier circuit....

It’s the version I think I “lost” throwing away a bunch of “spare” unused boxes :bag

I’ve owned a few versions of them, and I’m not going to lie I couldn’t tell them that much apart. Granted these were at different times so I wasn’t A/B’ing. They’re all great imo. (OCD is part of the Holy OD Quartet)

This one is based on 1.3. I don't follow the variations as much as just enjoy the sounds
mab02nihblu4xb0r2xcc.jpg

Sounds FANTASTIC. It's cheap but doesn't feel that way at all.

This one is based on 1.3. I don't follow the variations as much as just enjoy the sounds
mab02nihblu4xb0r2xcc.jpg

This looks right up my street, thanks for the recommendation!

EDIT: The bad news is shipping to UK costs more than the pedal. Any idea what the insides of it are like?

Tried the Hustle Drive already? I found it to work very well, even in an A/B comparison (ok, possibly not in case you're after a V2, never tried those). Using up less space, too.

Reactions: V|J
Tried the Hustle Drive already? I found it to work very well, even in an A/B comparison (ok, possibly not in case you're after a V2, never tried those). Using up less space, too.
I haven’t - do you know which version it’s based on? my buddy who’s a pedal builder said he’d fix the Joyo’s circuit so it should pretty much be a V1.3 with a buffer. So now I’m wondering if it’s worth me buying a legit 1.4 or 1.7, or maybe i’ll be happy enough with the clone.

I also remembered I have a Danelectro Drive V2 which is based on an OCD, and actually seems to have some of the characteristics I like from the V1.2. Doesn’t really scratch the itch for a real one but ideally the clones can cover different variations of the circuit.

I haven’t - do you know which version it’s based on?

Sorry, no. All I can say is that it apparently matched the OCD version I had borrowed for my test.
Fwiw, one thing I'd possibly prefer on the original OCDs is that you can run them (at least the newer ones) at 18V, apparently raising tightness, which I pretty much like with most drives. I don't think you can do that with the various clones (at least I wouldn't bet on it so I didn't try it with mine).

I haven’t - do you know which version it’s based on? my buddy who’s a pedal builder said he’d fix the Joyo’s circuit so it should pretty much be a V1.3 with a buffer. So now I’m wondering if it’s worth me buying a legit 1.4 or 1.7, or maybe i’ll be happy enough with the clone.

I also remembered I have a Danelectro Drive V2 which is based on an OCD, and actually seems to have some of the characteristics I like from the V1.2. Doesn’t really scratch the itch for a real one but ideally the clones can cover different variations of the circuit.

If you're buddy's a pedal builder you could just chuck him a few quid to build you a v1.3. That's my favourite version too. It's a pretty simple build and if you use the vero layout from tagboard is also a pretty cheap build.

I made this tweed version a while ago now from that layout

PXL_20230201_223610321.jpg

20210711_215040_resized_1.jpg

Never really liked the OCD, I think in part due to its impedance issues... which apparently V2 solves but people don't like it as much :p

mab02nihblu4xb0r2xcc.jpg

Have you tried stuff from them? Great price for what looks to be good builds, always wondered how they are.

Never really liked the OCD, I think in part due to its impedance issues... which apparently V2 solves but people don't like it as much :p

Have you tried stuff from them? Great price for what looks to be good builds, always wondered how they are.
I have that pedal. I LOVE it. Great OCD clone to my ears. Build is solid af.

Almost want to buy up all their clones to call it "done" with classic drive pedals, wouldn't cost that much... but wouldn't get used much either so haven't done it.
Very pleased with the OCD Clone. I think @GuitarBilly has some others? He recommended the OCD clone to me.

I've bought and sold an OCD 3 or 4 times. Seems like I should like it, but I've just never jived for some reason

I'm keeping my clone but it went off the board.
I think it's great in case you can adjust the following amp to suit it (which is possible in many ways from soft fusion to rather heavy-ish rock), but in case you're using a rather "neutral" sounding pedal platform (which is what I'm doing), IMO it's not adding enough character on its own.

Very pleased with the OCD Clone. I think @GuitarBilly has some others? He recommended the OCD clone to me.
yeah they're actually a music store in SoCal and they import these pedals under their own brand and also under the Tone Bakery brand (like the Creme Brule klone). If I am not mistaken, Jerry Dyer (of Surreal Amps) works for/with them and oversees the design and production of these pedals.

Back