NGD - Went EXPLOR'ing

LCW

Roadie
NGD - stoked! Never had an Explorer before. Many SGs and LPs but never a "designer series" Gibson. Got an impulse to ditch my SG for this 2024 70's reissue Explorer. While it's not an "84" style, I can live out my Hetfield fanboi dreams haha.

Surprised how balanced these giant hunks of mahogany are. Kinda nice. Very comfortable to play. Nice slim neck. Feels solid.

Getting used to it still. The pickups as well. Can't quite figure out right now what they are similar to. Gibson calls them '70s Tribute' humbuckers. They are Alnico 5 and per their specs, are 16.2K neck, 15K bridge. So pretty hot. Especially the neck. They chug pretty decent but aren't the tightest things I've ever played. Seem to have some good mids.

Time to get my Ride The Lightining on... :banana

IMG_3012.jpeg

IMG_3013.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3074.jpeg

Just a little FYI/Beware post. Barely 24 hrs on a stand that I previously held the CS 61 Reissue that I traded in for the Explorer. Aniline dye!!!! Stupid of me!!

It is what it is now. Can’t undo. Tried a bit of cutting guitar polish on it. It’s there for good.

No wonder Gibson treats white guitars separately.

And I should have known better!! Dave’s where I got it purposely only store white Gibsons in their cases and not on hangers because of the Aniline dye from the Custom Shop reissues they have (R8, R9, R8, SG, etc).

Time to go get a new Hercules stand that I will mark with “WHITE Only!!”.

Bass Side:
IMG_3096.jpeg

Treble Side:
IMG_3097.jpeg

NGD - stoked! Never had an Explorer before. Many SGs and LPs but never a "designer series" Gibson. Got an impulse to ditch my SG for this 2024 70's reissue Explorer. While it's not an "84" style, I can live out my Hetfield fanboi dreams haha.

Surprised how balanced these giant hunks of mahogany are. Kinda nice. Very comfortable to play. Nice slim neck. Feels solid.

Getting used to it still. The pickups as well. Can't quite figure out right now what they are similar to. Gibson calls them '70s Tribute' humbuckers. They are Alnico 5 and per their specs, are 16.2K neck, 15K bridge. So pretty hot. Especially the neck. They chug pretty decent but aren't the tightest things I've ever played. Seem to have some good mids.

Time to get my Ride The Lightining on... :banana

View attachment 23233

View attachment 23234

View attachment 23235

View attachment 23236
Congrats, enjoy it! Love the color too. Explorers are bitchin'. I got a 2022 one in natural and they're very well balanced and hang like a standard guitar both sitting and standing. And the 1st fret is where you expect it to be. They're not very heavy either considering how big they are. Just be careful that big chunk of wood under your strumming arm doesn't hit a mic stand or something.

• Love
Reactions: LCW
Back