New UGD: 00's Ibanez AF95

Boudoir Guitar

Rock Star
Did a bit of a gear purge (bye-bye Synergy rig) yesterday and came home with cash in my wallet and this guy. From what I can gather from the internet, it's somewhere in the '07-'09 range (pearloid tuner buttons; speed knobs; trans-black color). 15+ years old and still has plastic on truss rod cover.

Will post some clips later. Currently strung with round wounds that feel like 10s. Current thought is to keep rounds on it, but bump it up to 11s at least. Plays great. Bridge pickup is every bit as useful as the neck given that I'm not playing at volumes where feedback is a concern, etc.

IMG_0646.jpeg

IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

Nice…do you know the model?
Has a bit of a Byrdland vibe.

Ime experience anything under 25’ needs at least 11.s.
Most of my hollows with “Gibson scales” end up with 12s…but I don’t use drive on those.
Anything that I want to do drive sounds / bends on, 11s

Nice…do you know the model?
Has a bit of a Byrdland vibe.

Ime experience anything under 25’ needs at least 11.s.
Most of my hollows with “Gibson scales” end up with 12s…but I don’t use drive on those.
Anything that I want to do drive sounds / bends on, 11s
Just the AF-95, but I definitely prefer this older vintage compared to the newest ones -- rosewood is much darker/smoother; inlay materials look better; etc.. The black is trans, but you've gotta be in pretty good light to really see through. Easy to see the 3-piece neck.

I've got a set of Thomastik Swing flat wounds in 11 gauge incoming.

Very beautiful, don't remember seeing one of those, specially love that tailpiece!! Congrats and may you love it long time. :banana :beer :pickle

Very beautiful, don't remember seeing one of those, specially love that tailpiece!! Congrats and may you love it long time. :banana :beer :pickle
I'm sure it's just a "everything was more beautiful when I was younger" but I feel like all of the Ibanez Artcore stuff was better looking in the 00s. They still make the AF95 and have forever, but the new ones just look kinda cheap and unoriginal:

Ibanez has definitely changed over the last decade or so. Really wish they'd "suck up the pain" and build their own factory, but I don't see that happening!

Oh, that is a VERY nice looking one (and I'm saying that as a gold hardware hater). Never seen any of them in this color scheme at all.
Gold anything on a guitar is so weird for me. A lot of times I despise the look completely but you get it in the right combination or context on a piece and it is :chef

Very nice! How's is sound unplugged? Probably shouldn't ask until the fresh strings are on her.

Very nice! I always thought the Artcore stuff was cool too, especially the early ones. Flat wounds would be a nice touch. My bro has had one of the ES335-ish looking ones (AS73 maybe?) for a long time and it plays quite well.

Very nice! I always thought the Artcore stuff was cool too, especially the early ones. Flat wounds would be a nice touch. My bro has had one of the ES335-ish looking ones (AS73 maybe?) for a long time and it plays quite well.
AS is the 335-style stuff. I always had a real soft spot for this one:

AS is the 335-style stuff. I always had a real soft spot for this one:

Yep, I played one of those at a store once. I never pulled the trigger on one although I've been back and forth on getting a MIJ Scofield model. Maybe someday I'll just do it, I need a nice semi-hollow in my arsenal.

Yep, I played one of those at a store once. I never pulled the trigger on one although I've been back and forth on getting a MIJ Scofield model. Maybe someday I'll just do it, I need a nice semi-hollow in my arsenal.
One that I think was brought to my attention by @AFKAEjay was the GB30 George Benson semi-hollow sig guitar from the 80s

Also came in red with similarly blacked out hardware: https://reverb.com/item/55815585-ib...-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

The newer GB10 small body hollow body George Benson's are super cool, but the floating mini hums just don't QUITE have enough oomph for my taste.

Back