New to Modeling and Want to Dip my Toe in the Water

A great option to dip your toes into the water…

giphy.gif

"because you don't want to da anything that's hard" is an assumption. Maybe I'll forget about modeling then and stick to my amps and pedalboard. I ain't no engineer, and ain't got no time for all that. I spend too much time playing the guitar, bass and piano so ain't got much time at all for building a sound from scratch.

No such thing as plug and play with any of them. Even the QC I suggested before knowing your budget.

The odds of turning one of these things on, choosing a preset, and loving it thru your particular sound system right off the bat
are slim to none. Ever notice how pretty much everyone agrees stock presets (from just about any modeler) aren't very good?

Reading through this thread as it's progressed I'd have to say that I don't recommend any modeler for you.
I don't even think you should even go down that road. You're bagging badly on Headrush but that's well within your budget
range and I had more than enough fun with the one I had for a while because it sounded fine for what it was.

Last edited:
"The odds of turning one of these things on, choosing a preset, and loving it thru your particular sound system right off the bat
are slim to none."

@maguchi ; all of this. No disrespect meant at all. Just take it from a batch of grizzled vets in this space :ROFLMAO:

Reading through this thread as it's progressed I'd have to say that I don't recommend any modeler for you.
I don't even think you should even go down that road. You're bagging badly on Headrush but that's well within your budget
range and I had more than enough fun with the one I had for a while because it sounded fine for what it was.

"The odds of turning one of these things on, choosing a preset, and loving it thru your particular sound system right off the bat
are slim to none."
OK you talked me out of it. I'll just keep using my amps instead.

No, no, not bagging on Headrush at all. I never even heard how a Headrush sounds. I just thought the "Headflush" nickname posted by @Boudoir Guitar was hilarious :LOL:, so I laughed at it in a post. Don't even know which company makes Headrush. Like I said earlier, I'm new to modeling.

I don't know if we've really established any reason for you to run away from modelers. Agree you can't assume factory presets will work for you. Disagree that picking a couple of blocks to string together to suit your own tastes will be all that difficult. (Unless you buy Fractal - ZING!) You're doing the same thing every time you put a conventional pedalboard together. :idk

Just remember that your choice of physical speaker is going to have a major impact, and you're 90% of the way home. The easiest way to get results that sound and feel like a conventional amp is (get this!) to use a conventional guitar cab.

Last edited:

Just remember that your choice of physical speakers is going to have a major impact, and your 90% of the way home. The easiest way to get results that sound and feel like a conventional amp is (get this!) to use a conventional guitar cab.
I'm gonna try both direct to PA and a guitar cab. I got certified in old school sound reinforcement way back in the late '80s, so I should be able to figure out that part.
IMG_0339.jpg
20221223_221936.jpg

1. Budget $500-$750
2. Live only, for recording will use presets built into DAW
3. Both P.A. speakers and guitar amps
4. Not really a lot, just basics like delay, reverb, chorus, phaser, auto-wah and tremelo
5. Not at first maybe after using it awhile

Something to consider well BELOW your budget...the Line 6 Pod Express. No deep diving, just dial in what you want.
Lots of YT videos on this one !! Brand new for $179.99

Let me stop you right there: "panties in a bunch" is on my "Phrases That Indicate the Rest of This Sentence Can and Probably Should Be Ignored" list. ;)

People with panties in a bunch = not significant, statistically speaking.

I wanna know when the phrase 'panties in a bunch' took on negative connotations, and who was responsible. :mad:

I think we've ALL got a bunch in our panties.
I believe this might be a good time to suggest "crotchless panties". :ROFLMAO:

Depending on your budget I wouldn’t buy a piece of shit modeler and expect digital to be a revelation, especially coming from amps. (Which is glorious, and what the rock gods intended us to use) Even less so if you’re not an effect-head, which is a big area where digital shines, having all the effects in one house.

If one of the amps trips your trigger, I’d look at one of the UA pedals. Most of their downsides won’t affect you if you aren’t a power user (IE no midi, mobile preset switching etc) but they sound good and are simple to control. If you end up digging that then you can skip the mid tier bullshit and go straight to a QC, Helix, FM/Axe. #GameOver

Last edited:
Back