New Seymour Duncan Lari Basilio Signature Pickups

norminal

Rock Star
Interesting use of different magnet types. Although this isn’t anything new, I’m intrigued.

Both single coils feature Alnico 5 magnets under the low strings. Alnico 4 magnets sit under the high strings of the neck pickup, and Alnico 2 magnets are under the high strings of the middle pickup.

Her neck tones are up there with Andy Timmons IMO. Just wish they made the neck pickup in a Strat single coil form factor.

The EQ graph of the bridge pickup is very close to the JB, but with more bass. If I had to guess, it’s probably similar to the DiMarzio AT-1, which would make sense.

The EQ graph of the bridge pickup is very close to the JB, but with more bass. If I had to guess, it’s probably similar to the DiMarzio AT-1, which would make sense.
AT 1 is not really similar in specs or construction to a JB ??

AT 1 is not really similar in specs or construction to a JB ??
From what I remember, it’s been said that the AT-1 was designed to Andy’s ideal version of a JB. Both use Alnico V. Not sure what else they have in common. To my ears, they are very similar.

From what I remember, it’s been said that the AT-1 was designed to Andy’s ideal version of a JB. Both use Alnico V. Not sure what else they have in common. To my ears, they are very similar.
Yes I remember that Andy was a JB user you could be right . I thought the AT used a space between the magnet and slug coil but I may be miss remembering it.

Yes I remember that Andy was a JB user you could be right . I thought the AT used a space between the magnet and slug coil but I may be miss remembering it.
Interesting. Isn’t that what DiMarzio refers to as their “air” technology?I’ve yet to try one, but have always been curious. It sounds like it’d be a VERY fat pickup.

Interesting set.

Neck = 6.33k A5/A4
Middle = 6.57k A5/A2
Bridge = 9.22k A5

I'm guessing based off the resistance that they are all 42 gauge wire, so the neck and mid are probably closer to Strat sounding than Tele, although the cover of the neck would knock off a little high end.

That bridge is interesting though, at 9.22k it's either going to be pretty high wind for 42 gauge or low wind for 43 gauge. A lot of overwound PAF pickups over 9k tend to be pretty mid heavy so curious what they are targeting.

I would be surprised if it's close to a JB or AT-1 in terms of sound. Both of those are 44 gauge pickups at 16k+ resistance. The AT-1 I have never used but it does have the air magnet so it should be a little softer/more dynamic than purely hot.

3rd Power Amps has made split magnet humbuckers for a little while; I've always wanted to try them. They talk about how they're supposed to balance the clarity of the wound and unwound strings really well. Interesting to see one of the most popular companies now do the same thing.

3rd Power was founded by the lead guitarist of Vain, who to me is one of the most badass players in rock, so I was curious when she founded her own company.

Back