New Metallica for everyone to hate on!

DrewJD82

Staff member

Definitely more of a rock vibe than a metal one, but I dig it. My first thought was “This sounds like what they were describing Load to be like” and I wonder if they would have released this during that time if they would have gotten as much sh*t. Most likely, but still curious.

I love that James seems to have found the perfect range and delivery for his voice at this point in time. That dude is pushing 60 and yeah, obviously he doesn’t sound like he did in the 80’s, I actually enjoy his voice more these days than back then. He’s got so much more control and he’s got a really pleasing vocal tone.

Trash away!

Listened to it last night. Listening now at a volume where I can hear things :cop:roflI like Hetfield's voice on this one better than Lux Aeterna. Musically they are doing what they should do in their comfort zone. I wish they pulled a hair out of pentatonic/blues scale zone on the various riffs on this. They seem to have stepped away from the cool chromaticism that gave thrash/speed that character. But that also that made it hard to solo and sing on top of if you weren't just going the atonal route :wat:rofl

I don't like this one very much.
I like only the song after the solo till the end. The intro is way too long, everything else is meh, the solo is super meh.
I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate the lyrics but I honestly don't find them inspiring.

Anyway I love Metallica, new, old, I don't care. I doesn't mean I like everything they've done.
I just love them because I love them.

I dig it. Just listened to it for the first time before seeing this thread. It's a super low grade hate day for me here.
I just don't have it in me to give to anyone or anything. Besides, it has to get exhausting ragging on shit all day
long. Not that I would know. :LOL:

I dig it. Just listened to it for the first time before seeing this thread. It's a super low grade hate day for me here.
I just don't have it in me to give to anyone or anything. Besides, it has to get exhausting ragging on s**t all day
long. Not that I would know. :LOL:
Here I Am Mirror GIF by Jeopardy!

:love:rofl

James LaBrie has entered the chat.

(for me from the first moment I heard him sing) :bag :rofl

I used to defend that guy like he was my father and then eventually I stopped enjoying his vocals more and more as time went on. It seems he’s staying much more in a comfortable range these days and I like him less as a result. I think it was the last album I never even made it all the way through because his vocals were just bringing the songs down. Just a low-effort delivery of everything. And hell, it’s not even like I want to hear him hitting high notes nonstop, he was just so much more emotive in the 90’s.

And his vocals on his solo albums I’ve always found to be more appealing than what he‘s done in DT, but probably because he didn’t have Petrucci and Portnoy over his shoulder telling him how to sing every note.

I used to defend that guy like he was my father and then eventually I stopped enjoying his vocals more and more as time went on. It seems he’s staying much more in a comfortable range these days and I like him less as a result. I think it was the last album I never even made it all the way through because his vocals were just bringing the songs down. Just a low-effort delivery of everything. And hell, it’s not even like I want to hear him hitting high notes nonstop, he was just so much more emotive in the 90’s.

And his vocals on his solo albums I’ve always found to be more appealing than what he‘s done in DT, but probably because he didn’t have Petrucci and Portnoy over his shoulder telling him how to sing every note.
They should have went with John Arch, imo

Yeah not sure on the timeline but there are vids of him doing Fates Warning tunes with DT. His voice is an acquired taste but I love it.

I didn’t get into FW until way later, after Ray was already in the band. I just listened to A Pleasant Shade Of Gray a couple months ago and totally forgot how much I love that album. There’s a couple melodies on that album I’m ALWAYS humming but completely forgot where they came from, it was like finding an old friend when I heard it again, “Ohhhhhhh snap!!! There you are!!”

I didn’t get into FW until way later, after Ray was already in the band. I just listened to A Pleasant Shade Of Gray a couple months ago and totally forgot how much I love that album. There’s a couple melodies on that album I’m ALWAYS humming but completely forgot where they came from, it was like finding an old friend when I heard it again, “Ohhhhhhh snap!!! There you are!!”
Yeah I am pretty much stuck on Arch and Arch alone on FW. But they were always a CLASSY band.

Not able to listen to this track yet, but I assume the vocals are auto-tuned like the last song?

That's what sounds strange to me, is an auto-tuned Hetfield. Was listening to early Metallica the other day and actually noticing how sharp, pitch-wise, his vocals often are on those tracks, and how it's part of what makes it sound so cool.

Billy Corgan incidentally talked about something similar on the new Beato interview, where he and Flood had determined what amount of out-of-tune-ness in the vocals actually sounded good because it created a chorusing effect with the guitars.

Anyway, I enjoy the riffage and it's fun to hear new Metallica, and I don't mean to instantly "hate" on it. But an auto-tuned Hetfield just doesn't sound as cool, to me.

If you're in your head voice all the time and are not named the Ghost of Jeff Buckley, a lot of men
are going to struggle with listening to you. Don't care if it is John Arch or James LaBrie. You got to
get out of it now and then. Please??!! :)

Oh, and Fates Warning is what Dream Theatre could be if they edited themselves just a bit more and
had a great singer. That last FW album is amaze balls! :love

Back