New Metallica for everyone to hate on!

Lars struggled so much on this performance.....

Shocked Late Night GIF by RocketJump

Lars struggled so much on this performance.....

Shocked Late Night GIF by RocketJump

I think that’s part of his schtick, he’s been doing that “I’m exhausted after this crazy metal performance, let me hang over my cymbals and pant like a dog while you look in amazement at what I just accomplished” thing since the AJFA tour but got REALLY cozy with it during TBA tour. :rofl

I think that’s part of his schtick, he’s been doing that “I’m exhausted after this crazy metal performance, let me hang over my cymbals and pant like a dog while you look in amazement at what I just accomplished” thing since the AJFA tour but got REALLY cozy with it during TBA tour. :rofl
I didn't mean like visually - the whole first half he was missing beats like crazy...way more than usual.

Lars and Kirk are so dependent on the material they play it's not even funny. Usually in extreme metal; the drummer sets the bar and everyone can live or die by that bar. In Metallica; it's Jame's picking hand that has everyone playing catchup.

I always LOVED Lars playing on the old records. Quirky af beats that were super off time in a good way and just fit the music like a glove. I like wtaching him play now, too; but his beat choices definitely come back to bite him in the a$$ a lot. And not in a "hey; pretend you're Lombardo or Benante" way but just a "let's hit a cymbal in a weird spot then do this dumb-a$$ snare roll into clunky tom fill that sounded awesome back in the day but is now just almost impossible to nail" sort of way.

Lars and Kirk are so dependent on the material they play it's not even funny. Usually in extreme metal; the drummer sets the bar and everyone can live or die by that bar. In Metallica; it's Jame's picking hand that has everyone playing catchup.

I always LOVED Lars playing on the old records. Quirky af beats that were super off time in a good way and just fit the music like a glove. I like wtaching him play now, too; but his beat choices definitely come back to bite him in the a$$ a lot. And not in a "hey; pretend you're Lombardo or Benante" way but just a "let's hit a cymbal in a weird spot then do this dumb-a$$ snare roll into clunky tom fill that sounded awesome back in the day but is now just almost impossible to nail" sort of way.
It could be worse. We could be hearing the dreaded metal trash can snare from St Anger.

Album has been released and I'm just listening to it. So far... I don't know... it's not bad, but it's not good either. It just sound so... tame?! There are a couple of good hooks, but mostly surrounded by really bland, boring and interchangeable riffs. Thrash factor is pretty much at zero. Quite the contrary, most songs sound like they were written by some 3rd class stoner doom band.

I still like Lux Aeterna, though. And Hammett's lead playing is more memorable and catchy than on the album's predecessors.

Last edited:
The album sounds like music for Nascar commercials or movie dive bar fight scenes.
Its ok. I play the way I do because of Metallica so I can never truly hate them... but am always slightly disappointed on new releases. I think if they did come out with some truly heavy ass songs their new fans would probably be like where the fck is my nascar music?

Once I get home and wash off the work day I’m cracking open a half gallon of Ketel One, having a few cocktails then throwing this on. My expectations of them are fairly neutral/I know what to expect, so it won’t take a lot to impress me. Overall, I’m a bigger fan of seeing them live than I am listening to their albums.

The transition to the verse threw me off.

Tempted to make a joke about replacing "life" with "career" in the title... but it's just too easy.

Really makes me wonder, if they hadn't "sold out"/"gone soft" whatever you want to call the post Cliff Burton era, would still even be a band? They definitely wouldn't have gone any further than Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, etc., which leads me to believe this level of effort would have seen them all working at local bowling alleys or some such in Nowheresville CA.

Total shame Cliff died and we never got to see what his influence on this band would have been, but as soon as they ran out of Cliff's stuff/influence, it all went downhill for me.

P.s. this song blows.

Megadeth's latest 2022 album "The Sick, The Dying ...And The Dead" is masterpiece compared to this, proper crushing thrash with killer riffs, licks, harmony, melody, and inspiring leads.

Just why Metallica WHY?

Megadeth's latest 2022 album "The Sick, The Dying ...And The Dead" is masterpiece compared to this...
They've had an infusion of new talent and all that comes with that in Kiko, so I don't find that to be fair comparison.

People run out of ideas, pulling from the same well of tricks they've used for past decades to create songs, but give them a new player to write with..., yeah I can see how that would work in a band's favor.

I think people don’t realize that these bands come into our lives and have an impact on us when we’re on the same wavelength; Metallica in the 80’s was delivering the same ferocity that people their age were looking for and it worked for several years after, but like any relationship, people grow and change, often moving in opposite directions of where they started. Sometimes those changing directions continue to cross paths at certain points and other times they‘re just gone and will never cross paths again.

Seems a lot of people would be far better off realizing their relationship with Metallica ended a long time ago and hoping to relive the nostalgia of year’s gone is an effort in futility and disappointment. They’ve long moved on and seem very content with where they’re at, me thinks it’s due their former fans do the same.

They've had an infusion of new talent and all that comes with that in Kiko, so I don't find that to be fair comparison.

I completely disagree TSJMajesty.
Dave is the mastermind behind all the albums and most songs, the band changes yes, but everything goes through Dave.
I haven't heard a catchy song or originality from Metallica in 20+ years while Megadeth is aging like fine wine.

Dave is the mastermind behind all the albums and most songs, the band changes yes, but everything goes through Dave.
I haven't heard a catchy song or originality from Metallica in 20+ years while Megadeth is aging like fine wine.
TBF; Megadeth has only been good again with Kiko. Other than that 5 second redaliance with Chris Poland on the System Has Failed. Al Pitrelli is god awful as is the Drovers and Chris The Robot Broderick.

Edited for obviously they can all play circles around me. DuH! :rofl

Even if it's just inspiration, I'm sure getting a new member has a noticeable positive impact on a band.

Back