New Metallica for everyone to hate on!

Not able to listen to this track yet, but I assume the vocals are auto-tuned like the last song?

That's what sounds strange to me, is an auto-tuned Hetfield. Was listening to early Metallica the other day and actually noticing how sharp, pitch-wise, his vocals often are on those tracks, and how it's part of what makes it sound so cool.

Billy Corgan incidentally talked about something similar on the new Beato interview, where he and Flood had determined what amount of out-of-tune-ness in the vocals actually sounded good because it created a chorusing effect with the guitars.

Anyway, I enjoy the riffage and it's fun to hear new Metallica, and I don't mean to instantly "hate" on it. But an auto-tuned Hetfield just doesn't sound as cool, to me.

Hahahah don’t watch any videos on Melodyne because once you hear how “transparent” it is, you’ll never unhear it and almost every recording made in the last 20 years will drive you up the wall. Doesn’t matter how good the singer is, people slap that sh*t on EVERYTHING these days. Devin Townsend said he uses it all the time and it’s not like that dude has any vocal weaknesses or pitch problems, it’s just a time saver in the studio. Once I heard what it sounds like once something has been run through Melodyne, ugh….it took me a while to listen to Killswitch Engage again.

(For the record, I f*cking hate auto-tune and refuse to use it on a recording. I’ll use it when I’m figuring out a harmony or if I can’t figure out a cadence of notes right away, but then I practice singing it enough to actually track it for real)

Yeah not sure on the timeline but there are vids of him doing Fates Warning tunes with DT. His voice is an acquired taste but I love it.

Per the Fates Warning autobiography, John was brought in and they did jam some DT songs (Portnoy was a fan of Arch). Arch was still suffering from stage anxieties so he wasn’t up for the rigors of touring and he backed out.

I’m still ok with James LaBrie’s studio recording voice but he is toast live. It’s understandable given how much went into it and the amount of touring that has taken place over their career. Anyways, just another reason to pass on seeing DT live now.

Per the Fates Warning autobiography, John was brought in and they did jam some DT songs (Portnoy was a fan of Arch). Arch was still suffering from stage anxieties so he wasn’t up for the rigors of touring and he backed out.

I’m still ok with James LaBrie’s studio recording voice but he is toast live. It’s understandable given how much went into it and the amount of touring that has taken place over their career. Anyways, just another reason to pass on seeing DT live now.

I recognize that name! Hey man!

I‘ll still go see them if they ever come to my city. Orlando is as far South as they come in Florida and unless I’m making a weekend trip out of it, I’m not driving 3.5 hours to see a band then drive 3.5 hours back. I haven’t seen them since ‘03 and I’d like to catch them with Mangini before Portnoy rejoins (because he will).

Hahahah don’t watch any videos on Melodyne because once you hear how “transparent” it is, you’ll never unhear it and almost every recording made in the last 20 years will drive you up the wall. Doesn’t matter how good the singer is, people slap that sh*t on EVERYTHING these days. Devin Townsend said he uses it all the time and it’s not like that dude has any vocal weaknesses or pitch problems, it’s just a time saver in the studio. Once I heard what it sounds like once something has been run through Melodyne, ugh….it took me a while to listen to Killswitch Engage again.

(For the record, I f*cking hate auto-tune and refuse to use it on a recording. I’ll use it when I’m figuring out a harmony or if I can’t figure out a cadence of notes right away, but then I practice singing it enough to actually track it for real)

Oh yeah, I hear it on everything else too, but with Hetfield the sound that's imprinted on my brain is that shouty, sharpish thing that sounds so good. With newer bands I don't have a reference point and just take it for what it is, I guess.

Corgan also said he refuses to be auto-tuned and that it sounds really strange when he hears it applied to his voice (I think he mentions others have shown him what it would sound like.) I can't vouch for that, as I've heard no Pumpkins since the Machina album, except for that synth-y Color Of Your Love song, which I liked and didn't catch any obvious pitch correction, though I wasn't super listening for it.

On a related topic, so much classic rock sounds wildly out of tune to my ears now, guitars, bass, vocals, everything. But again, at times it has a cool musical effect, like chorus or extra "blueness" in the vocals, etc. Or extra sweet tuning on vocal harmonies or guitar chords. But I will admit, as much as I love Sabbath, some of it is so out of tune it hurts a bit, now (not so much Ozzy, more the guitars and bass, at times).

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I hear it on everything else too, but with Hetfield the sound that's imprinted on my brain is that shouty, sharpish thing that sounds so good. With newer bands I don't have a reference point and just take it for what it is, I guess.

Corgan also said he refuses to be auto-tuned and that it sounds really strange when he hears it applied to his voice (I think he mentions others have shown him what it would sound like.) I can' vouch for that, as I've heard no Pumpkins since the Machina album, except for that synth-y Color Of Your Love song, which I liked and didn't catch any obvious pitch correction, though I wasn't super listening for it.

On a related topic, so much classic rock sounds wildly out of tune to my ears now, guitars, bass, vocals, everything. But again, at times it has a cool musical effect, like chorus or extra "blueness" in the vocals, etc. Or extra sweet tuning on vocal harmonies or guitar chords. But I will admit, as much as I love Sabbath, some of it is so out of tune it hurts a bit, now (not so much Ozzy, more the guitars and bass, at times).

Yeah, hearing something out of tune on an album, even if you’ve heard it a million times, is almost like looking at something in a museum these days. I don’t blame Corgan a single bit. I just get this “Ughhhhh” feeling when I hear it. And my own voice is generally too gritty, while some plug-ins accept it better than others, it usually just sounds like a garbled mess once it’s trying to figure out what to do with the grit.

Hahahah the Ozzy show I saw was actually the show that made me un-jaded from going to shows and part of it was because he was out of key quite a bit. They had some pitch correction on his voice but it was more doing the chorusing sound, it definitely wasn’t cranked. It just gave me a “Ozzy knows he’s not singing in key the whole time, but that dude is up there having a blast and that’s what shows are for” feeling

Yeah, hearing something out of tune on an album, even if you’ve heard it a million times, is almost like looking at something in a museum these days. I don’t blame Corgan a single bit. I just get this “Ughhhhh” feeling when I hear it. And my own voice is generally too gritty, while some plug-ins accept it better than others, it usually just sounds like a garbled mess once it’s trying to figure out what to do with the grit.

Hahahah the Ozzy show I saw was actually the show that made me un-jaded from going to shows and part of it was because he was out of key quite a bit. They had some pitch correction on his voice but it was more doing the chorusing sound, it definitely wasn’t cranked. It just gave me a “Ozzy knows he’s not singing in key the whole time, but that dude is up there having a blast and that’s what shows are for” feeling

Also, I don't know if you love or hate Pumpkins (or Beato), but that interview is really great, if you get a chance. Even if you don't love either of them, Corgan has some cool stories about working with huge producers (Vig, Flood, Rubin) and the whole interview pretty much has a production/songwriting focus.

^^^ only part that made me cringe a bit was when Corgan tries to take credit for the guitar sound on Nevermind. Seems like a stretch. But otherwise I loved the whole thing.

If you're in your head voice all the time and are not named the Ghost of Jeff Buckley, a lot of men
are going to struggle with listening to you. Don't care if it is John Arch or James LaBrie. You got to
get out of it now and then. Please??!! :)

Oh, and Fates Warning is what Dream Theatre could be if they edited themselves just a bit more and
had a great singer. That last FW album is amaze balls! :love
FW got too musically mature for my tastes. I'll just listen to Empire for my grey poupon metal experience. I'm sure we've bickered about this before :rofl Not big on Alder. I'll give that new clip you posted of theirs a go :unsure:

So I feel like there is more energy on this new FW album than the first few I tried with Alder. No Exit and Shades of Grey? I could be misremembering (so unlike me :bag). Some solid singing on this and they are back in the saddle as far as having some oomph to the preceedings.

Give me a passionate and slightly out of tune performance versus a perfectly tuned exercise in musical lobotomy.

Rock was never meant to be so clinical and and exercise in perfection, or was it? :idk

Long time FW fan since No Exit and I was a little disappointed with the last album, especially given that it's their final studio release. If I may, I'd suggest listening to their previous album Theories of Flight (or the one before that, Darkness in a Different Light)-

I actually liked it better than lux eterna , I really wish they would edit their songs though like the opening wah melody line played like 6 times
They should have just come in with the heavy riff IMO

That was my complaint with hardwire they all have these epic
Creeping death type intros , which I know is part of their thing but not every damn song

I actually liked it better than lux eterna , I really wish they would edit their songs though like the opening wah melody line played like 6 times
They should have just come in with the heavy riff IMO

That was my complaint with hardwire they all have these epic
Creeping death type intros , which I know is part of their thing but not every damn song

Totally agree with you.
In this song the first part of the intro is really useless

After hearing about the st anger snare in every recording forum for 20 years, now its going to be the whatever the hell album this is kick

It sounds like a made for Hollywood, dive bar, fight scene, background music... I'm picturing some very stereo typical Hollywood bikers vs some branch of the military... you know, lots of beer bottles over the head, and people breaking chairs on people and shit like that :unsure:

It sounds like a made for Hollywood, dive bar, fight scene, background music... I'm picturing some very stereo typical Hollywood bikers vs some branch of the military... you know, lots of beer bottles over the head, and people breaking chairs on people and s**t like that :unsure:
While it sounds like that, just because it has suicide on the label and lyrics it's not going to fly.

This is how Hollywood and marketers choose songs:
  • AC/DC - Back In Black
  • Mentions "the sun" - good to go for every travel ad!
  • Can we get a slowed down female vocals cover of it?
  • Do the lyrics have the word "battle" or "fight" in it?

Back