New Guitar build in progress… Valkenburg USA “JerEvil“ sig…

JerEvil

Roadie
So this guy is going to be specked like my black one I posted a while back. Different color, doing a white over black heavy relic.

This time I’m thinking about going with Arcane Pickups.

Here’s where I’m at so far.

Spent the last week prepping the body, painting and starting the relic. Loving it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_4031.jpeg
    IMG_4031.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 4D87AEF5-63F0-4A66-96CF-7F1DF42C40D6.jpeg
    4D87AEF5-63F0-4A66-96CF-7F1DF42C40D6.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Jer, really like the finish on the body pre relic.

I think that the finish on the body is really thin, and it would naturally relic in no time with normal usage.
Gotta say I agree with that. Otherwise, that pickguard really matches the body color extremely well indeed.
Yeah it looked killer just white, but full transparency, nothing makes me want to throw a Strat style guitar down a flight of stairs more than a fresh clean new one. Lol! It definitely would have worn over time as we do use thin sprayed lacquer/nitro on all the aged/relic’d models.

When it comes to Strat/Tele style guitars, I’ve always liked them beat up. I started GAS’ing super hard when I discovered Luxxtone. I think Jerry is the king for sure.

When I became part of this endeavor with my drummer, who is actually the owner/builder of the brand we knew we’d be doing all levels of new to annihilated looking builds. He asked “alright sh*tbird, what’s your model going to look like? Totally rhetorical as he knows whenever I see one of our clean ones I’m like “killer build but… ewww!” lol.

I kid of course as we’ve done some sick color combos, I just need my stuff beat up like Johnny Dep’s bed sheets.

Tortoise over white is :chef
Yeah I had seen a few Olympic White Strats with tortoise and I was like “that’s hawt”.

I’ll start anging all my hardware and fretwork today. A little more aging on the body as well to even out the paint transitions so you don’t feel a “bump”

I am doing a matching headstock as well. White top and black in the scoop behind the logo.

Here’s my main squeeze for reference. I did this finish all myself as well. Not to sound like “that guy” but I think I’m developing a good eye for aged finishes.

Attachments

• IMG_4046.jpeg
    IMG_4046.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4044.jpeg
    IMG_4044.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Looks cool! What’s your finishing process pre relic?
So I sand the body (of course) then lay down my base coat(s) of black in this case. Let it dry, then decal the big areas.

Yep… decals. I never knew this was a thing until our short lived run with a VERY well know custom builder from one of the biggest names in guitars… I’ll leave that alone though.

Anyway the decals give a nice starting point for the relic. Once those are on, the main top color goes on. White here. All nitro lacquer and sprayed thin enough to work with.

Once the white dried I used a touch of aged clear to yellow it up a bit. Then satin nitro clear.

Let it dry, peel the decals then get into the hand work. Razor blades, heavy screwdriver for dents and dings, a small hammer as well. That’s where it goes from template with decals to art and using your eye.

Once I get to a point where my brain says “stop now!!!” I let it settle, sand with lime 5000 grit where the paint is chipped out to smooth it down, then mix some thin paint to darken the bare exposed wood areas.

Here’s where it’s at currently. I still need to cut the revers slant neck single coil opening. Oh and in the freezer for checking the clear.

Attachments

• IMG_4055.jpeg
    IMG_4055.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4054.jpeg
    IMG_4054.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4052.jpeg
    IMG_4052.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4051.jpeg
    IMG_4051.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
Almost done! Grabbing a Black Winter and Hot Rails here in a bit. Need to route the reverse slant neck spot in the pickguard. Opted for dark tortoise as well.

Did the neck aging. Just need to install the tuners and wire it up!

Attachments

• IMG_4163.jpeg
    IMG_4163.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4164.jpeg
    IMG_4164.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4167.jpeg
    IMG_4167.jpeg