Building my first guitar! Update - 1/19/23

JerEvil

Roadie
So I was going to do the Extreme Warrior but out of the blue, my boy had me start with this guy.

My drummers name is Danny Margasa. He builds nice stuff. This is one of his designs that I like quite a bit. It’s called a Margasa “Kashmir”.

I initially cut a Sapel body, and a few days later this block of ash showed up, so started over.

I knew I wanted a German carve style top. I’m also using a neck he already had on the shop. This is about a 75% new build I suppose.

So far this is what I’ve done, all by hand. Non CNC.

• Planed the wood
  • Cut the body
  • Rough sanding
  • Neck pocket route
  • Corner round on the back w/hand sanding as well
  • Big ass carve on fhe top

This week I’ll finish up the rest of the top rounds on the inside of the horns, then hand sanding the top edges.

I’m still deciding on bridge and pickup config. Likely will be Kahler for the bridge and Humbucker/P90 or just single humbucker.

Color will either be light charcoal burst or tobacco burst.

Here’s one of my favorites he’s built. Mitch Perry just had this on a Xmas special for CBS or some shit he did with one of the girls from Vixen.

Nice, man!!!

This is a life goal for me, to build my own guitar from scratch. It’ll be a while as I won’t even bother unless I have a decent space to do it in with all the right tools, but it’ll happen some day!

Definitely update this thread!!

That looks great but I strongly advise against the Kahler. It will kill it .
Oh I’ve used them for years and love them. Only other bridge I’d probably consider for this is is the Hipshot Baby Grand

Nice, man!!!

This is a life goal for me, to build my own guitar from scratch. It’ll be a while as I won’t even bother unless I have a decent space to do it in with all the right tools, but it’ll happen some day!

Definitely update this thread!!
Yeah for me as well. Glad the opportunity came up. I have 3 more builds for sure I’ll be doing.

A single cut I designed and a take on the Gibson Custom V.

I’ll definitely keep updating and will edit together the build vids for sure. Only thing I’m not making on this one is the neck, but I will be doing the fret work and all that.

Nice work! I knew you had it in you!
Thanks man.

Worth noting, I have never used a router or any real tools outside a cordless drill! Lol!

Lots done! Routed the pickups and control cavity, bridge post holes, glued the neck.

Attachments

• 705C021B-9F5E-4418-960A-A61F0D2D1BAF.jpeg
    705C021B-9F5E-4418-960A-A61F0D2D1BAF.jpeg
    955.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 8FD68F5E-7E06-4603-BB44-93B39A60032D.jpeg
    8FD68F5E-7E06-4603-BB44-93B39A60032D.jpeg
    879.5 KB · Views: 35
Base color laid down. This will literally only show where the guitar is relic’d down to the wood. Where we scrape back there’ll be a peek of red which plays off the pickups.

The top/sides/back will be black and the carve will be sort of military green. Satin finish of course…

Back