New Baroness

I am a casual observer of this band. I listened to this earlier. I am on and off with dudes vocals but the musicianship is always impressive to me. This is no different in that regard \m/

I own EVERY album they have put out. Great band. Full stop!

black and white headbang GIF

I'm a huge fan of Joe Barresi but I have to say this production/mix feels pretty plain compared to their older stuff that John Congleton did, which I felt suited them a lot more. I'd have felt Joe would be a perfect fit for them, maybe the other songs will sound cooler. Still, cool band and cool they're releasing stuff!

I'm a huge fan of Joe Barresi but I have to say this production/mix feels pretty plain compared to their older stuff that John Congleton did, which I felt suited them a lot more. I'd have felt Joe would be a perfect fit for them, maybe the other songs will sound cooler. Still, cool band and cool they're releasing stuff!

Both Purple and Yellow and Gold were mastered to shiite. No dynamics. Apparently a conscious choice on the part of the artist. :idk

All jokes aside, the first three tracks on the Red Album make up one of my favorite moments in music.

Red and Blue are both timeless classics.

I enjoy the newer stuff too, but it doesn't hit the same. Purple came close to giving me a classic vibe, this song seems like a nice balance of the old and new sounds as well

An actual bassline in a metal song. WTF?? I approve. :beer

Solo is pretty tight, too.

And production/mastering are both improved over the last 2 releases----based on this song, and what I am hearing. :idk

Both Purple and Yellow and Gold were mastered to shiite. No dynamics. Apparently a conscious choice on the part of the artist. :idk
Can’t say the production/mixing/mastering on these bothered me at all. That kind of blown out explosive aesthetic suits the band and I think it gave a more distinct sound than what the latest song has.

They’ve done on it on quite a few albums though, so no real issues with them trying to change it up

Ok. I still think it was off-putting and was a departure from the norm previously and is nowhere evident on this latest song.

Legions of fans also felt the same way, based on social media comments when those albums were released.

Not feeling it. Vocal delivery and melody. The guitar lead was nice though. I'm not too familiar with them though.

Ok. I still think it was off-putting and was a departure from the norm previously and is nowhere evident on this latest song.

Legions of fans also felt the same way, based on social media comments when those albums were released.

tbf I sort of zoned out of Baroness since Yellow and Green (I've listened to the subsequent records a few times but never paid much attention). But yeah, they're pretty nuked and not really in a good way. I think a lot of the issues on discogs are to do with the vinyl pressing, which probably does sound like ass if they used the same master for it. The earlier John Congleton produced stuff does a better take on that sound - its vibey and blown out, but totally works for what Baroness do.

Greg Calbi mastered the Purple and Gold & Grey records and he's one of the greatest mastering engineers of all time, its definitely a creative production/mix choice than bad mastering. It actually sounds more like distorting to me than compression - its just flattened out and distorting rather than pumping or squishy.

I still think the new song just sounds overly plain and like a rough mix to me, like they've gone too far in the other direction without a reason why. Vocals seem really quiet too.

Back