New Apple Vision PRO

Good rundown.

2hr battery life. Eww. (If you’re going to have to deal with the hassle of a tethered battery pack, bulk it up for some extended life)

Otherwise he seems pretty impressed with the hardware.

clint eastwood kids GIF

Am I the only one uninterested in VR?

We bought an Oculus Quest last year and it's really neat for about five minutes until I get super disoriented feeling. Nobody has really touched it in well over a year, kind of forgot we had it.

By the Ad pics and vid snippet it appears that only people that have a bitchin' tan are the target market?

Am I the only one uninterested in VR?

We bought an Oculus Quest last year and it's really neat for about five minutes until I get super disoriented feeling. Nobody has really touched it in well over a year, kind of forgot we had it.
I think I'm with you on this one. It simply doesn't add as much value as it detracts. Someone gave me a PSVR1 (because he was bored with it... and now I can't give it away LOL), and I still only used it a handful of times.

When PSVR2 came out - to my eternal shame - I got caught up in the hype, let my curiosity get the better of me, and pulled the trigger to the tune of about $600. Shocker: I still almost never use it*. It's fewer cables and maybe slightly less bulky, but it's still something you've gotta drag out of storage and plug in, for the privilege of getting a significantly lower quality image vs. what literally any TV will give you these days. And everything else about the experience (which mainly boils down to specialized, gesture-based controls) is clunky, gimmicky, or both.

*OK, so I'll play a little GT7 from time to time. Driving games do seem to benefit. But that's about it.

Well, not necessarily emaciated because - unlike e.g. PSVR2 - you can easily stuff Hot Pockets into your maw whilst wearing your Apple Vision Pro... If you can still afford Hot Pockets.

This promotional photo OMG. It's like a dystopian future where everyone is a douchebag (more so.) Or possibly a human burrito? Who TF dressed this person?

apple-vision-pro-grab-crop.jpg
VHB-VR, Virtual Human Burrito!!! this is gold!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This is an inherent problem with VR/AR solutions. Other technologies have gotten smaller/ more lightweight, but with something you literally strap to your face, the bar is extremely high. People who wear eyeglasses, at however many ounces, will literally undergo surgery to get the things off their faces, so exactly how light does a VR kit have to be before it's not annoying inside 30 minutes?
As someone who had used glasses most of my life, I had laser surgery several years ago and it's been one of the best money I've ever spent. I didn't mind glasses, but it's just so convenient being able to see clearly at all times, not having to clean the glasses, not having them fog up if you need to wear a mask etc.

With VR goggles, the issue is mostly pressure on your face long term. Every gen they do get more comfortable so I expect eventually someone will invent VR glasses that are like wearing a set of sunglasses. We are just not there yet.

There's a fundamental problem here, as well: most professional applications of display technologies are centered around people seeing one another in a virtual space. Eye contact, facial expressions, etc. are crucial for these solutions to be effective, or even desirable. And that whole objective is undermined when everyone "in the room" has half their face covered with a $3500 headcrab.

F7FGFP3JLQUYEKH.jpg

(I've always loved the irony of Half Life Alyx being the "killer app" for the last gen of VR. :rofl )
The solution to that is much easier, just virtual avatars that look very real. There's already tech for this.

The solution to that is much easier, just virtual avatars that look very real. There's already tech for this.
Sure, but at this point I do start to wonder whether we aren't defeating the purpose/ chasing our tails/ trolling ourselves. :unsure:

infinite-jest.jpg

Back