Neural DSP Quad Cortex Firmware Update Thread

Burrito Happening GIF by Exploding Kittens

341265642_1007006140265591_8140180464278075855_n.jpg

As someone who has never used a Helix, it wasn’t until I read the bottom that I knew this was for the QC and not some Helix screenshot. :rofl

I can see this is slated for release later in the year - but will it allow you to store / load / copy presets to and from your PC whislt off-line -or- is it still exclusivley only for loading / storing / coping presets to and from the Cloud ?

Ben

I can see this is slated for release later in the year - but will it allow you to store / load / copy presets to and from your PC whislt off-line -or- is it still exclusivley only for loading / storing / coping presets to and from the Cloud ?

Ben
Still cloud ,I think they are not going to allow local storage unless just a backup

CorOS 2.1.0 is close to being released to beta testers. This update includes several quality of life improvements, as well as a number of new devices, and adds some necessary functionality for Cortex Control compatibility, which is coming later this year.

In addition to the the features mentioned in our April update, CorOS 2.1.0 will include the following:

Added
Fuzz

MK3 Silicon Fuzz (JHS® Bender® 1973 London®)

Delay

Reverse Delay

Dual Reverse Delay

Utility

Volume

A few features like the on-screen keyboard and the expression pedal UI have been redesigned to improve user experience alongside many other quality of life improvements. The Digital and Dual delays (as well as the new Reverse delays) have new Dynamics controls.

Additionally, we are conducting a thorough security audit to ensure that any sensitive information is secure.

Cortex Control is in a very good state. We hope to release a public beta version in the coming months and launch well before the end of the year.

Plugin compatibility is also progressing, and we will be able to share more information about the first batch of compatible plugins soon. Archetype: Plini will be among the first plugins to be compatible with the Quad Cortex.

To discuss these updates, please visit our forum or Discord.

CorOS 2.1.0 is close to being released to beta testers. This update includes several quality of life improvements, as well as a number of new devices, and adds some necessary functionality for Cortex Control compatibility, which is coming later this year.

In addition to the the features mentioned in our April update, CorOS 2.1.0 will include the following:

Added
Fuzz

MK3 Silicon Fuzz (JHS® Bender® 1973 London®)

Delay

Reverse Delay

Dual Reverse Delay

Utility

Volume

A few features like the on-screen keyboard and the expression pedal UI have been redesigned to improve user experience alongside many other quality of life improvements. The Digital and Dual delays (as well as the new Reverse delays) have new Dynamics controls.

Additionally, we are conducting a thorough security audit to ensure that any sensitive information is secure.

Cortex Control is in a very good state. We hope to release a public beta version in the coming months and launch well before the end of the year.

Plugin compatibility is also progressing, and we will be able to share more information about the first batch of compatible plugins soon. Archetype: Plini will be among the first plugins to be compatible with the Quad Cortex.

To discuss these updates, please visit our forum or Discord.
I didn't think this would even be discussed here, so I commented at "the other place" (where it hasn't stirred up much conversation, either.)

Not exactly an overwhelming announcement overall. I'm hoping the inclusion a "volume pedal" on a device that already had a Gain block and a hundred different assignable gain/level parameters implies a fully-functional volume pedal implementation with assignable (linear vs. logarithmic) curves. And I'm not sure what "new Dynamics controls" means re: digital and dual delays, but I hope it means we'll see ducking parameters across the board? (It might just mean headroom/ compression type stuff.)

Sorry NDSP, but "Cortex Control is in a good state" and "before the end of the year" reads like a contradiction in terms.

Last edited:
I didn't think this would even be discussed here, so I commented at "the other place" (where it hasn't stirred up much conversation, either.)

Not exactly an overwhelming announcement overall. I'm hoping the inclusion a "volume pedal" on a device that already had a Gain block and a hundred different assignable gain/level parameters implies a fully-functional volume pedal implementation with assignable (linear vs. logarithmic) curves. And I'm not sure what "new Dynamic controls" means re: digital and dual delays, but I hope it means we'll see ducking parameters across the board?

Sorry NDSP, but "Cortex Control is in a good state" and "before the end of the year" reads like a contradiction in terms.
Eh I still think it's important to keep these types of threads updated! I do like the updates they provide and I don't expect major news each month but this one just didn't seem to add much and wasn't very clear.

Not exactly an overwhelming announcement overall. I'm hoping the inclusion a "volume pedal" on a device that already had a Gain block and a hundred different assignable gain/level parameters implies a fully-functional volume pedal implementation with assignable (linear vs. logarithmic) curves. And I'm not sure what "new Dynamic controls" means re: digital and dual delays, but I hope it means we'll see ducking parameters across the board?

I think combined with what they revealed in the April update + this one, 2.1 looks pretty solid, but this is also viewed from the perspective that they’ve added one new amp to the platform in 10 months so anything might look good. :ROFLMAO:

End of year for Cortex Control, makes me think plugs are next year, and the quiet reveal that plug-in porting is going to be staggered on a plug by plug basis means that may be a slow burn as well. Could easily see that taking another year plus to slowly roll those out. (Which seems more EOY 2024 than SOON)

They just added native silicon support to a few plugs, including my Nolly that I use a bunch so that is cool. (Especially since they just added it to my Cali) Hoping the SLO will be on the next wave.

Eh I still think it's important to keep these types of threads updated! I do like the updates they provide and I don't expect major news each month but this one just didn't seem to add much and wasn't very clear.
Not Very Clear
The NDSP Story

"Didn't seem to add much": agree overall. Of course, I'm always going to be underwhelmed by talk of an editor (unnecessary for my purposes, and as likely to make them pay less attention to on-device usability as time goes on) and "plugin compatibility" (double-talk for "now our content updates will cost you money.")

The expression pedal UI improvements they hint at here are warranted (and hopefully they get it right.) I've gotten used to it, but having to "Assign" an expression pedal in order to change existing assignments has always been a bit counter-intuitive. Not sure why they keep fiddling with the onscreen keyboard; fixing what ain't broke IMO. Either way, these QoL improvements they keep citing should be coming as a matter of course along with new models. When they trot them out as bullet items (mac address anyone?) it does seem like so much padding. A new fuzz is a good thing... reverse delay, meh... Seems like there ought to be more new models rolling in.

But at the end of the day, I'm really happy with my QC as is, so I don't have much of a horse in the race. A volume pedal with tunable curves would solve my only real problem: I can't get satisfying crossfades happening.

Last edited:
...they’ve added one new amp to the platform in 10 months so anything might look good. :ROFLMAO:

End of year for Cortex Control, makes me think plugs are next year, and the quiet reveal that plug-in porting is going to be staggered on a plug by plug basis means that may be a slow burn as well. Could easily see that taking another year plus to slowly roll those out. (Which seems more EOY 2024 than SOON)
These two points together do not bode well. NDSP adds one amp, two or three effects models a year now. What happens when they're splitting that timeline between "QC Content" and "QC-compatible plugin content". Especially considering that the latter lines their pockets.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: be careful what you wish for.

These two points together do not bode well. NDSP adds one amp, two or three effects models a year now. What happens when they're splitting that timeline between "QC Content" and "QC-compatible plugin content". Especially considering that the latter lines their pockets.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: be careful what you wish for.

For sure. Clearly they are affecting one another since the absurdly slow pace of amp additions has also recently included some amps they modeled for the plugs. (JP2C, and the upcoming Kraken) They obviously don’t have the ability to aggressively dev for both completely independent of each other. How they end up reconciling the two revenue streams/platforms will be interesting. Plug-in dev is definitely impacting the QC.

Cortex Control in the coming months? WTF?

Are they just having their marketing guys learn to code rather than hire developers?

Not exactly an overwhelming announcement overall.
Someone at the other place clarified that the changes in this email are in addition to changes outlined in a previous announcement, including: Victory Kraken, Matchless DC30, Crybaby Clyde McCoy, "redesigned cabsim" (not sure I want this?), etc.

So, more here than I first assumed? (And by "here" I mean "S O O N" LOL.)

Back