Need advice: What's the best device to control Helix Native with my feet?

BahamaDada

Roadie
Hey folks!

As you've read in ther title:

I want to control Helix Native with my feet.

More precisely: I want to (at least) switch between banks and/or snapshots in Helix native.

Most of my Helix presets have 4 snaps, that I also use live. At the moment my Helix Floor stays in the band place and I use Native (and Thrash; see my other thread about it some time ago).

My specs are: Windows 11, Native runs in Cantabile, Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen as interface.

So:
1. Is there a device, that is available at retailers in Europe, that let's me do that easily?
2. If 1. is "yes", what are the limits of that thing? Can it only go "bank up/down" or "snap 1/2/3/4" or even further?

Hey folks!

More precisely: I want to (at least) switch between banks and/or snapshots in Helix native.

Most of my Helix presets have 4 snaps, that I also use live. At the moment my Helix Floor stays in the band place and I use Native (and Thrash; see my other thread about it some time ago).

My specs are: Windows 11, Native runs in Cantabile, Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen as interface.

So:
1. Is there a device, that is available at retailers in Europe, that let's me do that easily?
2. If 1. is "yes", what are the limits of that thing? Can it only go "bank up/down" or "snap 1/2/3/4" or even further?
I’d think one of the Morningstar boxes would work best, due to the flexibility, and already being USB-MIDI capable. They’re also reasonably priced. Only problem is getting one right now, I think.

EDIT

They’re out of the regular MC6 and MC8, but the do have the MC6 Pro.

+

What plugin format is your Helix Native? For Windows 11, only AAX supports Banks / Presets / Snapshots switching via MIDI.
If you're using VST, there's a workaround by creating multiple tracks in your DAW, each with its own instance of Helix Native with desired settings, and switch between these tracks by MIDI (if your DAW supports it).

*AU and AAX Plugin Formats Only: At this time, remote MIDI control of setlist and preset changes is supported only with the AU (Mac) and Pro Tools AAX (Mac and Windows) Helix Native plugin formats. It is not supported for the VST2 or VST3 Helix Native plugin formats on Mac or Windows.

Check out the Graviton M1 MIDI Controller, which works very well for these kind of setups
https://luminitefx.com/products/graviton-m1-midi-controller

Here's Im playing in Logic Pro with Bias FX 2:

Last edited:
I don't know if you are a MIDIOT like I am but this thing was so easy to set up and use and it is as heavy duty as anything I have ever used. IMO it's a perfect product. Easy to use, built well, and affordable.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! The Morningstar stuff looks awesome, but is rather hards to come by in Germany. I saw Looperparadise and 3 others have it, but the MC6 is already 475€ (IIRC?) and that is the price of a used HX Stomp here. (Which would be my alternative for playing at home).
I don't know if you are a MIDIOT like I am but this thing was so easy to set up and use and it is as heavy duty as anything I have ever used. IMO it's a perfect product. Easy to use, built well, and affordable.

I think I try the Hotone first bc it is kinda cheap and I had an Ampero switch already here for something different. Felt good.

If that does not work I'll try @James Freeman 's FCB route.
What plugin format is your Helix Native? For Windows 11, only AAX supports Banks / Presets / Snapshots switching via MIDI.
If you're using VST, there's a workaround by creating multiple tracks in your DAW, each with its own instance of Helix Native with desired settings, and switch between these tracks by MIDI (if your DAW supports it).

Check out the Graviton M1 MIDI Controller, which works very well for these kind of setups
https://luminitefx.com/products/graviton-m1-midi-controller

Here's Im playing in Logic Pro with Bias FX 2:

I use VST3. I will look into AAX. By the way: What a great song! Very Sabbathy in the "Heavy Riff" parts. Love it.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! The Morningstar stuff looks awesome, but is rather hards to come by in Germany. I saw Looperparadise and 3 others have it, but the MC6 is already 475€ (IIRC?) and that is the price of a used HX Stomp here. (Which would be my alternative for playing at home).

I think I try the Hotone first bc it is kinda cheap and I had an Ampero switch already here for something different. Felt good.

If that does not work I'll try @James Freeman 's FCB route.

I use VST3. I will look into AAX. By the way: What a great song! Very Sabbathy in the "Heavy Riff" parts. Love it.
Honestly, snag the used HX Stomp. It sounds a liiiite better, you don’t have to futz with input levels hoping your gain-staging is “accurate”, no need to fire up DAW or Main Stage or whatever you are using to host native in, less latency, waaaaay easier MIDI/control assignments, and it’s not that more than buying a MIDI controller.

I just went through some side-by-side “do I REALLY need this Helix Rack and Controller for home use when I’ve already got Native and an Ampero? I could flip it for a pretty decent guitar” and it took about 38 seconds to realize it would be wildly idiotic to flip it.

Hey folks!

So:
Also, while I advocate for HX Stomp, another midi controller brand to look at is Voes - not as slick as Morningstar, but also likely really good button-per-euro ratio for European customers.

The Morningstar stuff looks awesome, but is rather hards to come by in Germany. I saw Looperparadise and 3 others have it, but the MC6 is already 475€ (IIRC?) and that is the price of a used HX Stomp here

In the USA, it's in some stores, but mostly available direct form Morningstar's Web site.

Part shortages has limited/stopped production of the MC3, 6, etc. Those small, cheap controllers (cpu's) are impossible to come by.

On the other hand, the MC6 Pro is generally available on their website (they restock, it sells out, restock, ....).

The Pro is a very nice step up. Very nice color displays, lots of ports, relays to control amps or anything expecting a switch, and a much more power CPU and more memory that allows it to support more actions and a few features the non pro devices will never be able to handle. And the parts are available for them to keep it in stock.

Morningstar is perhaps the most responsive, customer focused company in the business. Product updates just keep on coming and they like suggestions from outside.

IMG_0601.jpeg

Sorry. I couldn’t help myself. I’ll find my own way out.

Well if you’re going complex… I suggest a full Helix floor! It can control everything in Native as long as hardware restrictions are respected 🙂

Back