Need advice on my strat’s tremolo

CakeEater

Roadie
So I need some advice on my Stratocaster Tremolo.

I like having the Tremolo decked, but being able to push down on it when I need to just for some light vibrato, no divebombing or anything serious. I realized if I pushed backwards on the arm, I would get some pitch and resonance increase even though it was decked, so tonight I added another spring and that's tightened it up nicely. It needs a lot more pressure downwards now when I need to bend, but that's fine by me as long as the Tremolo arm can handle it.

I'm curious though, would it have been better to bring the claw closer to the body and tighten it that way? Is it better to have three springs than four?

So I need some advice on my Stratocaster Tremolo.

I like having the Tremolo decked, but being able to push down on it when I need to just for some light vibrato, no divebombing or anything serious. I realized if I pushed backwards on the arm, I would get some pitch and resonance increase even though it was decked, so tonight I added another spring and that's tightened it up nicely. It needs a lot more pressure downwards now when I need to bend, but that's fine by me as long as the Tremolo arm can handle it.

I'm curious though, would it have been better to bring the claw closer to the body and tighten it that way? Is it better to have three springs than four?
The feel is different. The theory is that the spring constant of the spring decreases as it is stretched out. Meaning that three strings stretched out may be apply the same force to the tremolo as four springs less stretched out when the system is at rest, but it will still take less force to further extend the already stretched out springs a little further as compared to the ones that are not yet extended.

The feel is different. The theory is that the spring constant of the spring decreases as it is stretched out. Meaning that three strings stretched out may be apply the same force to the tremolo as four springs less stretched out when the system is at rest, but it will still take less force to further extend the already stretched out springs a little further as compared to the ones that are not yet extended.
So when bending more pressure is needed even if the tension at the starting point is the same? Interesting… Thanks!

I use 2 springs 9-42 and turn the claw screws until it's easy on the trem bar
I use 3 springs for 10-46 and similarly adjust until it's easy.
There's roughly 20 more pounds of string force using 10s in standard tuning as opposed to 9's

1714168443105.png

So when bending more pressure is needed even if the tension at the starting point is the same? Interesting… Thanks!
It's the same kind of thing when two guitars of the same scale length, same strings, same tuning still feel different. The tension of the string on both guitars is the same, but other aspects of the setup (break angles at nut/bridge; length of string behind nut/bridget, etc.) can mean that it is harder/easier to increase the tension/bend the string from that resting point.

It's the same kind of thing when two guitars of the same scale length, same strings, same tuning still feel different. The tension of the string on both guitars is the same, but other aspects of the setup (break angles at nut/bridge; length of string behind nut/bridget, etc.) can mean that it is harder/easier to increase the tension/bend the string from that resting point.
Thanks. Based on this, I've removed the fourth spring and tightened the claw enough that I don't hear a pitch difference when I pull up on the trem. It has the same improved resonance now, but with much easier diving.

I use 2 springs 9-42 and turn the claw screws until it's easy on the trem bar
I use 3 springs for 10-46 and similarly adjust until it's easy.
There's roughly 20 more pounds of string force using 10s in standard tuning as opposed to 9's

View attachment 22121
Thanks, this looks good. I’m using 10-46 gauge so three seems to be right.

Three is usual for a down bend only 10-46 . Just tighten the springs until the bridge resists a tone bend on the G . This is usually enough. If you have strong springs ( Gotoh power) you can even use two.

Back