NDSP Quad Cortex

Actually, that's a question I'd like to ask to QC users: do you get used to the reduced footswitch spacing, or do you get used to paying more attention when switching?
I have mine on my desk all the time. Have a midi controller under my desk to control it. I don’t play live anymore but if I did, I would treat it as a Kemper toaster or an FM0 and just use the controller.

I use the switches as knobs only, basically

Well that's curious. I'd think you wouldn't use an external controller of the footswitches were good enough.

For pros, I'd understand it's for easy hot swapping while playing if there's any error.

Well that's curious. I'd think you wouldn't use an external controller of the footswitches were good enough.

For pros, I'd understand it's for easy hot swapping while playing if there's any error.
It's not a question of the footswitches not being good enough. It's a question of the encoders and the UI integration overall being too good to waste by putting it all on the floor. Meanwhile, adding a 2nd MIDI footcontroller that mimics exactly what the switches on the device do is a $175, near zero effort proposition.

(The funny thing about all of this is that the actual difference in spacing vs. e.g. an HX Stomp is only a couple of mm.)

At the end of the day, the QC is way too pretty to stomp on. :D

Are they bigger in Helix LT? Just out of curiosity.
No idea. My Helix Floor has been on loan to a friend for a while. Can anyone else answer?

Comparing HX Stomp and QC spacing is a little apples and oranges, certainly, since one has 3 switches and the other has (gulp) 10. It's differentiating between those middle switches, and the top vs. the bottom row that'll get you in trouble on QC.

It's differentiating between those middle switches, and the top vs. the bottom row that'll get you in trouble on QC.

+1. The horizontal footswitch spacing in the QC is just a tad closer than the HX Stomp/Helix/Helix LT, but that's not an issue. I kept accidentally hitting the upper row switches on mine.

Reposting an old pic (no Stomp though)
IMG_8825.jpeg

I didn’t like the switches (on floor) on the QC when I tried a friends at a band practice place. Stomp and LT felt more “secure” or practical to hit the switches on. My guess it’s a practice thing. But I sure can understand if musicians place the QC somewhere else on a gig. For home playing I wouldn’t care though.
Oh, and the Stomp plus a two button switch and a dvp mini takes up the same kind of space as a QC. The QC is really small irl… imo… and all that.

I’m a home player only so it’s perfect for desktop use. Way better than having a separate computer editor fired up all the time.

If I were to use live I’d probably get some button toppers at least for the top row. QC plus 1-2 expression pedals. Keep it simple.

I’m a home player only so it’s perfect for desktop use. Way better than having a separate computer editor fired up all the time.

If I were to use live I’d probably get some button toppers at least for the top row. QC plus 1-2 expression pedals. Keep it simple.
I've played a lot at home only and I hated having it on my desk. If I was playing a song & needed to change presets - tough luck.
IMHO the unit's meant to stay on the floor and that Cortex Control app was long overdue - it makes the QC and managing stuff on it while at your desk a lot more enjoyable.

I've played a lot at home only and I hated having it on my desk. If I was playing a song & needed to change presets - tough luck.
IMHO the unit's meant to stay on the floor and that Cortex Control app was long overdue - it makes the QC and managing stuff on it while at your desk a lot more enjoyable.
Oh! There’s a control software now. Wow, that’s a huge thing coming from them. Ignoring gear news for a year pays off in terms of surprises haha!

Well, that’s good. I’d def put it on the floor in that case, even as a home/desk player.
All in all they should have waited to release QC until they had a “complete” package. It’s like they took the same path that the gaming industry has done… ya know, some studios hyping up their game, underdeliver and apologize after.

Oh! There’s a control software now. Wow, that’s a huge thing coming from them. Ignoring gear news for a year pays off in terms of surprises haha!

Well, that’s good. I’d def put it on the floor in that case, even as a home/desk player.
All in all they should have waited to release QC until they had a “complete” package. It’s like they took the same path that the gaming industry has done… ya know, some studios hyping up their game, underdeliver and apologize after.
That’s pretty much what they did

All in all they should have waited to release QC until they had a “complete” package.
Did they?
They took a significant place in the market in 4 years as a newcomer…I wouldn’t be surprised if they are in the top 3…also a sound position in the pro segment by the looks of it…that’s quite an accomplishment in my book.
Appearantly…whatever they did wrong…they also did a lot right ;)

Back