NCD

Well, depends. Apple has really tightened their schedule regarding support longevity. Especially with the cheaper models, it's often that after 5 years you're done. After that Apple might even refuse to repair your computer (I've been there, fortunately that was when you could do things yourself). Add to this that since a while Logic needs the second to latest macOS for the actual version. So, 6 years and you're not up to date anymore. Reads like a long time, but I guess we all know how fast 6 years can pass.
Anyhow, for some refurbished machines, those 5 years have already started.

In my case, all these, combined with the non-availability of fully maxed out refurbished MBs, led me to purchasing new. And so far I couldn't be much happier - minus the audio interface issues. Zoom half-bricking the UAC-2 almost certainly is a result of Apples wicked security measures, too. So I need to purchase something else, which absolutely sucks, because featurewise, the Zoom has always been absolutely perfect for me. Uber-meh.

And fwiw, the form factor of the 13" MBA is just about perfect, too. Add to this there's no fan sucking dirt in.
I am using a 13” MBP M1 and love the form factor as well, though the newer MBA is really nice.

As far as monitors, I run dual monitors on the M1 MBP using a DisplayLink docking station and Display Manager, but obviously this is a limited software solution (works great for coding, browsing, etc at least). I know people that have instead gotten an ultra wide screen monitor (i.e. 49”) instead of dual monitors. But again, YMMV.

Back