NAM: Neural Amp Modeler

I've been getting better results too - there was a tweak to one of the sine sweeps also, and there are some updated calculations for delay and the added checks for whether something has changed from start to finish or the file is very noisy. I did a some testing comparing my modified v1 file and original v1 results with v2 and the new version, and have found the newer one to do just as good of a job ESR wise but easier/faster since it's shorter than my extended version was. There have been some minor code changes along the way including a learning rate typo since the last release that might have helped too.

I've also been running the LR and LR decay at half the default which has been pretty helpful results wise but takes a lot longer to train

Made a pack of 1985 Mesa Mark III Black Dot models at various settings. I dialled them in with various guitars and different speaker types so hopefully they translate nicely no matter what hat you’re using. Mostly rock/metal/higher gain tones, its what I love this amp for most.

IMG_2836.jpeg

Audio Demo:

Free one here:

50% until July 1st: https://mirrorprofiles.myshopify.com/discount/BX2JKX67FTDX?redirect=/products/nam-amp-pack-1-mark-iii

Last edited:
Made a pack of 1985 Mesa Mark III Black Dot models at various settings. I dialled them in with various guitars and different speaker types so hopefully they translate nicely no matter what hat you’re using. Mostly rock/metal/higher gain tones, its what I love this amp for most.

View attachment 8220

Free one here:

50% until July 1st: https://mirrorprofiles.myshopify.com/discount/BX2JKX67FTDX?redirect=/products/nam-amp-pack-1-mark-iii
I keep thinking of shooting some Tonex captures of my Blue Stripe (now modded to red stripe). The Mark III owns so hard.

I keep thinking of shooting some Tonex captures of my Blue Stripe (now modded to red stripe). The Mark III owns so hard.
ToneX models take about 2 hours on advanced for me. With NAM, I can reamp them all first and the training takes 20 minutes per model (using Colab pro). Especially nice for when I’m using a cab as a load, and it’s loud in the room, I can do the reamping in the same session rather than spread out every 2 hours. For an amp like a Mark series where there are so many possibilities, using NAM really appealed more. I still want to make more ToneX packs of amps but for the time being, I’ll probably focus on the caveman amps until I can get the training times lower.

Would love to hear your Mark III too, nice to have some of their tones archived digitally in some way

ToneX models take about 2 hours on advanced for me. With NAM, I can reamp them all first and the training takes 20 minutes per model (using Colab pro). Especially nice for when I’m using a cab as a load, and it’s loud in the room, I can do the reamping in the same session rather than spread out every 2 hours. For an amp like a Mark series where there are so many possibilities, using NAM really appealed more. I still want to make more ToneX packs of amps but for the time being, I’ll probably focus on the caveman amps until I can get the training times lower.

Would love to hear your Mark III too, nice to have some of their tones archived digitally in some way
The training time is the only thing that’s stopping me from profiling my amps right now.

:rofl

At some point I’ll stop being lazy and dig into NAM but Tonex is what I have on hand at the moment.

It sounds like your profiling strategy is similar to what I’d planned. I was going to hook up my various heads through a 1960A in my basement with my Captor in line just to grab the direct signal while getting the authentic impedance interaction from the cab. I might also isolate and mic the cab to get the whole rig too. Like you said - very time consuming.

Really looking forward to checking out your captures.

Normalizing the track before export will only really change the final capture volume, but I normalize all of mine to -3 dB true peak for consistency. The normalization I mentioned earlier is just for plugin playback volume between captures, and has nothing to do with actually capturing
What are you normalizing with? I'm not sure Studio One can Normalize to a db level...is there better tools to batch normalize a bunch of captures i already have? Thanks.

He's pretty out of date and a little wrong on some of what he says here and definitely has his personal preference towards modeling vs capturing, but overall an okay review. He also seems a little annoyed that he's doing it at all haha. And kind of missing the point that it's not a commercial thing and certainly was never an expectation that your "average user" knows how to navigate colab and github. In the beginning you basically had to know python to use it at all, but it was fine because it was really meant for people that were interested as opposed to "try a new plugin!" for general audience. It's grown from there a lot, but the main goal still isn't to create a product that replaces other products. It exists for fun and as a tool, but the hype does its thing.

I'm really happy to see what it's become - but it's still largely a one man free time job that he works on for fun

Last edited:

View attachment 8220

Audio Demo:

Free one here:

thank you for the free capture,sound pretty good,is there any more discount coupons soon?

@polyeffects just released a beta firmware for Beebo that's running NAM captures. Currently just a few captures they've made themselves but apparently next firmware will allow users to load their own captures. Nicely organised with pictures of the amps and categories for each capture like amp channels/boost switches.

Pretty CPU intensive though - NAM block, cab and 2 delays hits 95%.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-28 at 23.50.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-28 at 23.50.05.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 36
What are nano captures, is it lighter than feather? How’s the tonal difference of all the capture types, quite noticeable?

"lite" models will run approximately 1.5 times faster than "standard".
"feather" models will run more than 2 times faster than "standard".
"nano" models will run about 2.5 times faster than "standard".

I don't know how it affects the accuracy of the capture though.

That's normal, it is already using the Tensor cores.
I got the same message with a RTX 3070 and been told it's normal.

cpu-load-png.6388

As a side note, the training process is really power hungry, the entire system is almost maxed.

Back